Jonsered 630 / 670 differences for you Jony fans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Cleaning up a 1988 Jonsered 630 with a 670 top end on it .... can't remember how I ended up with this saw but not impressed with the rubber intake boot and external pulse hose so I am switching this one back to a 630 the way it should be.

Pics show the 670 setup on the left with "skirted" piston and boot, and the 630 "window" piston on the right. Both cylinders are closed port design, and the only difference is the bore size and the coating on the cylinder (chrome on 630, Nikasil on 670).

Pic of saw shows the intake boot setup.

Only thing I have had to buy recently were fuel lines and a few gaskets, which were not a problem (Husky part numbers). Not sure about internal parts and plastic pieces. Anyone else have some sources?

Reason I ask is I have an opportunity to buy one but I don't want another saw with obsolete parts, its really a pain if you're not a collector.

Reason I ask is I have an opportunity to buy one but I don't want another saw with obsolete parts, its really a pain if you're not a collector.

There are parts out there, but some of the older electrical stuff is harder to find. The two piece ignition setup is still out there, but is getting rare. Single ignition is a better deal. That being said....all I have are the two piece saws. Case is different between the two types. Still can get pistons through aftermarket. There are sources out there. Some are sponsors. Check Northwoods chainsaws.

Depends on what parts you need. Starters, clutch covers and tanks: yes. Air filter cover: no. Parts are better for the second gen single coil saws than for the early twin coil versions. One example are mufflers, as the early ones are NLA. (the later muffs are taller and don't fit right under the early top cover.) OEM P&C is still available for the 630, but not the 670. (also a Husky 266 top end will bolt right on a 630).

No reason in my book to shy away from the 625/670 intake boot set up. They work just fine. (One goofy thing did happen to me once was that I linched that impulse line when I put the top cover on. Saw didn't run too good!)

No problem with parts on these saws if you're willing to do a little searching. As Spike said some stuff is still available OEM. In the used department...a number of things swap back and forth between this Jonsered family (625,630 and 670) with the Husky 61,66,266,268 and 272 family of saws. But as been said you have be careful and make sure you are on the correct side of the change from the 2 piece ign to the one piece for the afore mentioned reasons Spike and bama quoted. And I'll throw in the top covers are not interchangable as well. I have saws in both versions. I'm am not a big fan of intake boots either but they are the way a lot of different saws are put together........and I'd be hard put to change back to the 630 due to the power loss. But that's just me... the 630 is a fine saw too...I was using the portd one in my sig yesterday...hadn't really worked it for a yr or so but it still put a smile on my face.

Looks like you have the V stack and external air filter too. Are you going to go back to the conventional 630 air filter too?

The velocity stack came with a box of parts I bought, but I don't have the K&N filter and can't remember the part number of it. Might buy one if they are not too expensive.

Belgian mentioned that you can get "thick ring" pistons.... I thought those were only to be used with Nikasil coated cylinders and the thin rings only go with chrome plated cyls (like the 630).

No that was just a bad idea that Jonsered tried on several models and it didn't work out for the most part. They broke easily and were so thin they lacked springyness in the bore and in use they were very suseptable to sticking in the lands because of carbon build-up. They did not stay in production very long and went back to to more common 1.5MM thick rings which are fine in either cyl lining. I have used Meteor and Episan pistons in these saws with no issues what so ever...nice fit and finish. These pistons for the 630 can be had in single and two ring versions both with 1.5MM rings.

The K&N filters are around $30.00 too, BTW. If your stack is 1 3/4" outside daimeter like mine the K&N part # is RU-2690

Last edited:
Good info, thanks. That's the filter I was thinking of. What company do you buy the pistons from?

I have used Meteor and Episan pistons in these saws with no issues what so ever...nice fit and finish. These pistons for the 630 can be had in single and two ring versions both with 1.5MM rings.

The K&N filters are around $30.00 too, BTW. If your stack is 1 3/4" outside daimeter like mine the K&N part # is RU-2690[/QUOTE]

Here are pics of the Jons 630 all cleaned up, original top end back on, just like it came out of the plant in 1988 ... except for the 670 air filter cover.

Any ideas on here I can get a new "630 Super" decal for the clutch cover?

Good info, thanks. That's the filter I was thinking of. What company do you buy the pistons from?

I have used Meteor and Episan pistons in these saws with no issues what so ever...nice fit and finish. These pistons for the 630 can be had in single and two ring versions both with 1.5MM rings.

The K&N filters are around $30.00 too, BTW. If your stack is 1 3/4" outside daimeter like mine the K&N part # is RU-2690
[/QUOTE]

I generally use site sponsor Northwoods Saw...quick shipping, real shipping prices and very good piston prices.

Any idea if the clutch covers are the same between the 625/630/670? I got a free 625 this week and all it needs is a clutch cover and bar/chain. Seems to run fine but i really cant tell until I get some load on it, has tons of compression!

OK now here's a bit of junk saw trivia that might be helpful in a pinch. The clutch cover/brake from the same family Husky will work...however it is longer than the Jred cover and covers the top handle mounts on the husky. This will NOT work on the Jred as is because the jred handle sticks out further than the husky. If you flip the husky cover over you will see the back of the sawdust chute/partition if you remove all the metal on the backside of this partition it will look the same a the correct Jred cover....well except orange. The 630 in my sig has a husky cover that someone simply beat the excess metal away with a hammer until it fit. I, being a smoother individual than this cut along the backside of the partition with my bandsaw and filed it smooth, painted it RED and you would hardly know it isn't the correct cover. The husky covers are a bit easier to come by so it might get you by in a pinch....

Back