Jonsered 80 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steele_109

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a jonsered 80 with no spark.When I opened it up the condenser was gone.I have looked for a condenser with no luck.So I thought about chipping it but I can't figure out how it should be wired.It has a sending unit under the flywheel and a coil under the top cover.Any one have any ideas how to give this old girl her spark back?

Thanks for responding,I have a 52 that I can take apart and see if they are the same.I also ordered a spare parts manual for a m 80 cut off saw the internals should be the same,I would presume.Either way I will let you know and I will try to post some pics tonight.I have to get back to the garden before it rains.Oh and that avatar looks a lot like me lol.

After doing some research I found out the 621 has the same condenser.But I couldn't find one of those either so I took a chance on a stihl 08s condenser.It has a stud sticking out the end that the wires go to and fits into the hole quite snug.I put the points back in and it has spark sort of.It's good and blue but acts like it's skipping.I will try to fire it tomorrow.I may have to replace the bearings,they feel stiff.I'll report back with the results.

Did you end up finding the parts or did you decide to use a chip? If you used a chip, did you figure out how to wire it?

I bought a 621 and used the condenser out of it.I had a bad coil as well in the top cover.But I got both parts of the parts saw.Now I just need to eat more wheaties to pull that beast over it has huge compression.Good luck with yours.OH i just saw a bunch condensers and stuff for a 49sp on ebay.

Thank you. I was not aware that a 49 would fit. How did you test the top coil?

I'm not positive the 49 condenser will work, but it fits in the housing the same.Most companies tried to stay with the same brand components.I think I used a multi meter to test the top coil just can't remember for sure.If the points are clean and in good shape and the condenser is good they are pretty reliable.I made a jumper (a wire and 2 clips) to ground the spark plug and turned it with my impact.Mine will jump a 1/4 gap.

I'm not positive the 49 condenser will work, but it fits in the housing the same.Most companies tried to stay with the same brand components.I think I used a multi meter to test the top coil just can't remember for sure.If the points are clean and in good shape and the condenser is good they are pretty reliable.I made a jumper (a wire and 2 clips) to ground the spark plug and turned it with my impact.Mine will jump a 1/4 gap.
Congrats on getting the ign back up and running!!

The condensor on the 80 slides down into the points plate.I was going off the picture on ebay. It looked like it slid down in the plate the same as the 80.Sorry wasn't trying to mislead anyone it just looked the same.

The condensor on the 80 slides down into the points plate.I was going off the picture on ebay. It looked like it slid down in the plate the same as the 80.Sorry wasn't trying to mislead anyone it just looked the same.
Didn't mean to imply you were. The 49SP condensor is not replacable without changing out the points plate as it is pressed into the points plate not held in by a screw like the others. On the 49SP they went to a cyl mounted spark coil that interacted with the outer part of the flywheel to create electricty rather than the seperate generator under the flywheel like the 621,80 etc. Where those saw igns were all similar in design the 49SP was totally different and the only Jonsereds to use it.

One of the 70es has a coil mounted on the pull start cover and the other on the cylinder.I think the one that was mounted on the cylinder used a plastic fan on the flywheel.I probably know just enough to get myself in trouble.Does the 601 use the same set up as the 621?

No problem on any of it. I appreciate all of the input. I have an identical set from an old Olympyk 80cc that I can probably swap out the condenser with.

One of the 70es has a coil mounted on the pull start cover and the other on the cylinder.I think the one that was mounted on the cylinder used a plastic fan on the flywheel.I probably know just enough to get myself in trouble.Does the 601 use the same set up as the 621?
No the late 70E (# 1585000 and above) had an aluminum flywheel and cyl mounted coil. The early 70E had the plastic fan and coil mounted in the recoil cover. Yes the 601 has the same ign and flywheel as the 621

Back