Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WoodDean

WoodDean

ArboristSite Guru
Yeah, I have a problem with that. I worked as a Journeyman mechanic at a gold mill in CO. We had high production classifiers for making copper. The market was so bad then, we never put them into operation. The point is, the US is perfectly capable of making copper from our ore...all that we need. But somehow after I left that industry, the US got all tangled up in foreign copper supplies....so much so that they contrived a copper 'shortage' and the stuff went out of sight. Kind of like the diamond suppliers always holding onto diamonds to drive the price always up.,....

Don't believe for a sec that there's any worldwide copper shortage....it's more like we can't produce copper as cheaply as South America can.....

Kevin
. . . also explains the price and availability of ammo these days.

WoodDean

WoodDean

ArboristSite Guru
I can not figure out how to get this intake shroud off. It looks like an allen wrench should fit but there's no shoulders on any of the bolts . . . . . unless someone already rounded them all off???
Am I on the right track with the allen wrench?
2-14-14 003.JPG

Cantdog
I can not figure out how to get this intake shroud off. It looks like an allen wrench should fit but there's no shoulders on any of the bolts . . . . . unless someone already rounded them all off???
Am I on the right track with the allen wrench?
View attachment 333946

They can be allen or slotted screws......but they are taken out already!!!....do you need to remove the isolation block?? If not leave it there...the stock gaskets turn to glue and make it very hard to remove the block and then if you succeed without breaking the plastic it's an unbelievable hassle to remove the left over gasket material.....then you have to cut a new gasket.....best left alone..not as easy/simple as it looks!!!

WoodDean

WoodDean

ArboristSite Guru
View attachment 333947 View attachment 333948 View attachment 333949 View attachment 333950 View attachment 333952 WoooHooo......had a 'puter Geek retrieve all my pics from my old fried 'puter!! Put them all on an external hard drive.......Anyone remember these old things???
Very nice, cantdog. I can tell you keep them in top running condition. And I'm also impressed by the dovetail work in the first pic. Did I spot something with a yellow handle sitting on the floor!!!!????!!!!!

WoodDean

WoodDean

ArboristSite Guru
They can be allen or slotted screws......but they are taken out already!!!....do you need to remove the isolation block?? If not leave it there...the stock gaskets turn to glue and make it very hard to remove the block and then if you succeed without breaking the plastic it's an unbelievable hassle to remove the left over gasket material.....then you have to cut a new gasket.....best left alone..not as easy/simple as it looks!!!
If they're taken out already . . . . . that explains it. The block is already cracked and has a piece broken off. I was trying to replace it although I don't have the replacement part yet.

Cantdog
If they're taken out already . . . . . that explains it. The block is already cracked and has a piece broken off. I was trying to replace it although I don't have the replacement part yet.

Ahhh Ok... Just was trying to save you the trouble but if it needs replacing it has to be done. Before I knew better I pulled a couple apart just because.....I don't do that anymore unless I have to..real PITA....I guess the heat does something to the original gasket...

Real1shepherd
LOL...I've NEVER had one of those off or the need to. Like Robin said, we leave those alone unless we have to.....I've seem slot and metric Allen as well on those manifolds. The 80 I just parts stripped had slots. My running 80 has Allens...

Nicest looking 70E I've seen, Robin. Almost make me want to own one....almost.:p

Kevin

Real1shepherd
Here's a 90 on ebay:http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSERED-LOGGING-CHAIN-SAW-

I don't have much to say about it other than it would help his sale if he had identified the model, I think. Says he's the original owner...OK...then why is every single badge/sticker gone off this saw?? Either he took them off, or could this be a Frankensaw....it looks OE enough. Hell, my 80 which was a back-up loggin' saw back in the late 70's, has served me to this day and has remnants of stickers/badges.

Maybe he was a 'swamp' logger.....

Kevin

Cantdog

I don't have much to say about it other than it would help his sale if he had identified the model, I think. Says he's the original owner...OK...then why is every single badge/sticker gone off this saw?? Either he took them off, or could this be a Frankensaw....it looks OE enough. Hell, my 80 which was a back-up loggin' saw back in the late 70's, has served me to this day and has remnants of stickers/badges.

Kevin

It is odd that with him being the only owner that it would be devoid of even remnants of stickers and that he didn't id the model...BTW that isn't a 90....it's an 801....which looks exactly the same as the 90 but has no decomp because it has the 80 cyl.....

Cantdog
LOL...I've NEVER had one of those off or the need to. Like Robin said, we leave those alone unless we have to.....I've seem slot and metric Allen as well on those manifolds. The 80 I just parts stripped had slots. My running 80 has Allens...

Nicest looking 70E I've seen, Robin. Almost make me want to own one....almost.:p

Kevin

That has a NOS P&C, new mains, NOS oil pump, NOS recoil, clutch covers, NOS Bar, and more NOS parts.....it was not always the way it is now....it came from out in your neck of the woods....Washington or Oregon can't remember.....looked good then and obvoiusly had light use...paid accordingly.....when it got here.....I pulled the muffler to look at the piston. It still had very visable machine marks but also had a 1/8" deep by 3/16" wide gouge the whole length of the ex side and the ring was broken too!! The add said it had no spark.....some chuckle head had used a round shank screwdriver in through the ex port as a piston stop so they could get the flywheel nut off (SEM module is under the flywheel). This crowded a divit in the top edge of the EX port which protruded into the bore and when the saw was pulled over pulled over destroyed the piston. It also had a loose PTO side main bearing......soooooo that's why it became the 70E build from scratch saw in that thread......another of my less than fortunate ebay purchases that turned out OK......I'll post some pics of a better ebay deal in a bit.......

Woodean send me a PM with your mailing address if you want a cyl base gasket for that 90......

Cantdog

Kevin
P.S. his price is just nutZ!!!!! Here's another wild looking rig!!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111280550072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

WoodDean

WoodDean

ArboristSite Guru
It is odd that with him being the only owner that it would be devoid of even remnants of stickers and that he didn't id the model...BTW that isn't a 90....it's an 801....which looks exactly the same as the 90 but has no decomp because it has the 80 cyl.....

I was watching this saw just to see if anyone was going to bid. The price seems waaaaaay high. And I think I do see a decomp valve on the top????!!! . . . so, I think it might just be a 90. Or a 90 cyl on a frankensaw, you guys are right about the lack of badges. Shouldn't there be a sticker on the av arm above the clutch with a model number?

Real1shepherd

But I see a decomp on that top....that's why I think it's a 90. If you look at all the pics, there is something on top other than the spark plug boot. Very 'odd' ad...I'm not demeaning the owner, just wondering how he forgot the model # and where the hell are all the stickers?

Kevin

Real1shepherd
That has a NOS P&C, new mains, NOS oil pump, NOS recoil, clutch covers, NOS Bar, and more NOS parts.....it was not always the way it is now....it came from out in your neck of the woods....Washington or Oregon can't remember.....looked good then and obvoiusly had light use...paid accordingly.....when it got here.....I pulled the muffler to look at the piston. It still had very visable machine marks but also had a 1/8" deep by 3/16" wide gouge the whole length of the ex side and the ring was broken too!! The add said it had no spark.....some chuckle head had used a round shank screwdriver in through the ex port as a piston stop so they could get the flywheel nut off (SEM module is under the flywheel). This crowded a divit in the top edge of the EX port which protruded into the bore and when the saw was pulled over pulled over destroyed the piston. It also had a loose PTO side main bearing......soooooo that's why it became the 70E build from scratch saw in that thread......another of my less than fortunate ebay purchases that turned out OK......I'll post some pics of a better ebay deal in a bit.......

Woodean send me a PM with your mailing address if you want a cyl base gasket for that 90......

Wow...that's a sad story...especially when you paid appropriately for what you thought was a much better condition saw. At least your brought it back to life. There were a lot of Jonny saws sold around here back in the day...especially popular was the 70E. For whatever reason, I just never see them....probably most of them have already changed hands and don't come up for sale much on CL/garage sales. Maybe most hit ebay now.

Kevin

Latest posts