Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, I don't know if this applies to the Jred base gasket material that you're needing, but FWIW in the Poulan sticky several guys chipped in for $ome $pecial ga$ket material to cut their own oiler gaskets. I'm pretty sure they needed the thin material.

==================================

Did any of y'all see this one? I'm thinking it's a 90 because of the decomp. It's pretty much just a carcass, but might be worth it if the bidding stays low.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261401779279?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm always leary of a saw without a sparkplug... but you never know.....you guys will love this story!! I picked up a 630 off ebay a couple yrs ago...nothing special..add said engine stuck...no sparkplug......don't remember the price but was cheep......it came and I looked down the plug hole....full of fuzz and crap so I blew it out with air and tried to turn it over...nope...stuck tight....didn't look bad in through the ex port..piston was near TDC so I filled the top end with Seafoam "Deep Creep" and walked away for a couple days....came back... seafoam was gone.....tried to turn it over with a wrench.....nope... So I added more and waited a couple days with the same end results. By then I was determined and took out the cyl bolts.......cyl slid right off!! The main bearings were rusted tight!! Piston wasn't stuck in the cyl at all!!! I think it was a saw from one of those poor folks in the Midwest you see on the news with just the ridge of their house sticking out of the flood waters. The cyl was near perfect and I used that on a very sweet 630V (Electric heated handles) and most of the other parts have also been utilized.....but not the cases or crank!!!

Is a 90 because of the decomp & the filter. Man, that looks rough...but then it could be just dirty...l don't think so though. You buy a parts saw like this especially for the piston & jug, yet nothing is pictured or mentioned of that.

Chris...would you please give me some contact info for the guys that have the thin gasket material?

Kevin

Kevin,
The material for the diaphragms is nylon reinforced nitrile. The stuff we bought was for oiler diaphragms which is 0.017" thick.
I don't see why you couldn't use some kraft paper and coat it with the Motoseal or equivalent on both sides.

Kevin,
The material for the diaphragms is nylon reinforced nitrile. The stuff we bought was for oiler diaphragms which is 0.017" thick.
I don't see why you couldn't use some kraft paper and coat it with the Motoseal or equivalent on both sides.

Tim,
Yeah that was the upshot of all the reading/research I did;find a suitable paper size and coat it both sides. I'm not against that if nothing else can be found.

I'm always leary of a saw without a sparkplug... but you never know.....you guys will love this story!! I picked up a 630 off ebay a couple yrs ago...nothing special..add said engine stuck...no sparkplug......don't remember the price but was cheep......it came and I looked down the plug hole....full of fuzz and crap so I blew it out with air and tried to turn it over...nope...stuck tight....didn't look bad in through the ex port..piston was near TDC so I filled the top end with Seafoam "Deep Creep" and walked away for a couple days....came back... seafoam was gone.....tried to turn it over with a wrench.....nope... So I added more and waited a couple days with the same end results. By then I was determined and took out the cyl bolts.......cyl slid right off!! The main bearings were rusted tight!! Piston wasn't stuck in the cyl at all!!! I think it was a saw from one of those poor folks in the Midwest you see on the news with just the ridge of their house sticking out of the flood waters. The cyl was near perfect and I used that on a very sweet 630V (Electric heated handles) and most of the other parts have also been utilized.....but not the cases or crank!!!

:ices_rofl:...Robin, you sure you didn't buy from the same seller I did that apparently deals in 'underwater' saws??! My whole crankcase was full of clear water. At least you got a sound piston & jug...that's usually worth the price of a parts saw if you got it cheap enough.

Kevin

Crazy me, I bought a bar before I got the saw running. $38 from sawagain, 24" Windsor Speedtip

View attachment 334694 .
You gotta have 10mm space there for the bar studs to fit and make sure you have the right oil hole pattern for the 90. Old Husky bars are really easy to modify and are about 9.5mm-oil holes are fine. I modified one Oregon bar that Bailey's sent me a few yrs ago...never do that again without access to the proper mill work.

Kevin

You gotta have 10mm space there for the bar studs to fit and make sure you have the right oil hole pattern for the 90. Old Husky bars are really easy to modify and are about 9.5mm-oil holes are finie. I modified one Oregon bar that Bailey's sent me a few yrs ago...never do that again without access to the proper mill work.

Kevin
Yup. It fits, I just tried it!!!

Should be somewhat oil & gas resistant I would think....dunno if the new ones are. You're sure putting a little bar on the 90....it will hate you for that.:p

Kevin
heh, this 90 is just begging me to run it again with a manly bar. I got my new rings today too, all I need is a cyl gasket.

heh, this 90 is just begging me to run it again with a manly bar. I got my new rings today too, all I need is a cyl gasket.

Awesome and Robin will fix ya up on that one. I'm going to experiment with different papers and coatings on that gasket.
I've got a 36" bar waiting to be tried on the 90...I have my doubts it will pull skip-tooth .404 chisel that long...that's why I never put it on. Pulls a 32" with .404 though just fine. 30" and .404 chisel is the max for the 80 and the 90 is not that much bigger. Doesn't really matter because the Husky 2100 will run anything bigger than 32"..it's all a win here.:D

Kevin

Crazy me, I bought a bar before I got the saw running. $38 from sawagain, 24" Windsor Speedtip

View attachment 334694 .

That Winsor is a heck of a nice bar at a good price!!! Looks like you got the last one he had too.....went looking there for a 24" or 28" for my 910 project.....nope "not available"........

That Winsor is a heck of a nice bar at a good price!!! Looks like you got the last one he had too.....went looking there for a 24" or 28" for my 910 project.....nope "not available"........

I kept checking that price and I just couldn't turn it down. I see they still have a jug for a 90 at $169. I'm so tempted to buy it for attic stock.

Back