Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah as Robin said, it's one of those parts that apparently fit nearly the whole line of saws back then. I think I paid $25 for the last OE one I bought. I've heard bad things about the aftermarket springs lasting.

Kevin

504 21 26 01 is the part number Mark.........in true Jonsereds fasion that recoil spring cartridge fits eveything from the 621 to the 111S.......should be no problem to find on ebay etc. The serial number is useless unless it is at a major production change like the 70 E going from early to late models...ie; 158500 and below is early 158501 and above is late.....the 90's did the same thing... changed a number of parts at a certain production number......sorry this has been batted around for years there seems to be no "code" to the numbers....just sequential numbering of units.....

Does the 601 share the same recoil spring? Just wondering, the recoil seems to be built a bit differently.

Does the 601 share the same recoil spring? Just wondering, the recoil seems to be built a bit differently.

No....different. and yes it is built differently too....one cool thing about the 601 is that it is so easy to set the recoil tension so that the pull cord retracts fully....simply remove the two outer recoil cover screws and rotate the cover a half or full turn.... what ever is needed and put the screws back in and tighten.....rotate one way for more tension and the other for less.....no need to take anything apart....sweet design...

No....different. and yes it is built differently too....one cool thing about the 601 is that it is so easy to set the recoil tension so that the pull cord retracts fully....simply remove the two outer recoil cover screws and rotate the cover a half or full turn.... what ever is needed and put the screws back in and tighten.....rotate one way for more tension and the other for less.....no need to take anything apart....sweet design...
I was wondering about that. I haven't had to mess with mine, but was always curious about those screws.

Hey Jack!!! I see you're back posting pics of some more of your "Clunkers"....LOL!!! Always enjoy your saw pics..."a cut above" you could say....

I have only added a Jonsered 2153c model in the past year. So not much to show off. But all the red saws are running great!
Been on a orange kick for a while now. Just got a saw from the Monmouth area of Maine.

Mark, it is likely that it is either a 621 or an 80. If the air filter is completely round them I'm thinking 80, if it is mostly round with a flat on the bottom then 621.

Usually the 80 has the fully round cover, and the 62 and 621 the flat bottomed one. They interchange though, so the shape of the cover doesn't prove anything regarding the model (62, 621 or 80). There may have been exceptions on new saws as well, for all I know.

The 62 and 621 will have a N embossed on the case somewhere over the fuel cap (I don't remember the exact placement), the 80 will have a P.

Attachments

• Jonsered_Matrix [Spike 60].pdf
    94.8 KB · Views: 7
Usually the 80 has the fully round cover, and the 62 and 621 the flat bottomed one. They interchange though, so the shape of the cover doesn't prove anything regarding the model (62, 621 or 80). There may have been exceptions on new saws as well, for all I know.

The 62 and 621 will have a N embossed on the case somewhere over the fuel cap (I don't remember the exact placement), the 80 will have a P.

Again, some of this info isn't accurate. I have the equivalent of five 80's in various stages and some have the flat bottom AF cover and some have the round AF cover. They are not interchangeable without some kinda modification...IOW, you can't put a round, nylon flocked filter under the the AF cover that has the flat bottom. That AF cover was meant for the wire mesh filter. I haven't spent any time try to make the flat bottom AF cover compatible with the round, nylon flocked filter. It may just be the length of the screw kinda thing...dunno, except that the wire mesh filter is shorter in length. Personally, if you want maximum life out of the saw like I get, you should fit the round, nylon flocked filter in there with the round cover....much better filtration protection. Both are period and correct.

Just like the full-wraps were fitted in the US in aluminum & steel for the PNW( I have both handle materials)....with most surviving examples being cut off where they are suppose to go back to the saw body on the clutch side with a AV.

Kevin

Let me add a little clarity to the air filter thing.....first the 621 air filter is the same diameter but is shorter than the 80 filter......the mounting base is the same...the mounting screw is the same.......the round cover (80) is deeper in the center than the flatbottom cover (621) to allow use of the same screw with the longer filter......in other words, though they all look nearly the same, the filters and do not interchange without issues with bolt length UNLESS you change the filter and cover as a set...or replace the mounting screw with a hardware store screw the length needed......when you see an 80 with an unaltered flat bottom cover/screw, you are actually seeing an 80 with a 621 filter and cover and visa-versa....I've also seen more than a few 80 filters scrunched into the 621 system with the plastic sides all bent up so as to get the screw started.....when all the correct parts are used this is impossible as the screw bottoms out at just the right place to grasp the filter firmly but not crush it.

A little more on the air filters. The IPL's show flat bottom for 621 and round for 80 which different filters, but the brochures show the 80 with the flat bottom cover. And, the only difference between the parts numbers is the last two which makes me wonder if they didn't make a change to the 80 early in the run.

A little more on the air filters. The IPL's show flat bottom for 621 and round for 80 which different filters, but the brochures show the 80 with the flat bottom cover. And, the only difference between the parts numbers is the last two which makes me wonder if they didn't make a change to the 80 early in the run.

I don't know...my IPL for the 80 is dated 5/01/83 and the 621 is dated 4/15/82, which are pretty late IPLs for both saws and show round for the 80 and flat for the 621........perhaps they just grabbed a 621 filter set up for the pics.....only weird old saw historians would pick up on the difference...lol!!!

Well to add more to the AF confusion...80's I have from this general area have the round, nylon flocked filters and the round AF covers and 80's I have that came from the Midwest to east of the Mississippi had the shorter wire mesh filter and the flat bottom AF covers. In fact, I had never seen this setup in the flesh until I bought saws from back east.

Now my 80 IPL is a Xerox copy from a Midwest dealer from the late 80's(I had moved back to MO at that time) and it shows no date code that I can find. Anyway, not knowing how old of a IPL that was taken from, it shows the wire mesh filter and the flat bottom AF cover. My other original IPL's of like the 90/910 show date codes. I thought I had an original 80 IPL, but do not. I do have an original 80's service manual and when it shows the AF arrangement, it's the wire mesh screen and the flat bottom filter cover.....no date code on the manual I can find.

Like I said before, I have a LOT more confidence in the flocked nylon filter than that metal screen filter. If you're doing period restorations, I think both AF styles are accurate. Robin makes a good point about the round AF cover...it has a deep recess where the screw sits. Like I said, I've not ever used the wire mesh filter in actual application and have no desire to. I must have a dozen round, nylon flocked AF's...but the flocking is worn off in a lot of them. I even have them graded with x's...more x's mean less remaining flocking and less likely to use in the field.

What I don't know is if J'red ever provided a round, nylon 80's style AF without flocking? In all the yrs of ownership of the Husky 2100, I had no knowledge that their nylon AF also came with a flocked nylon filter until I saw some for sale on eBay. The price being asked for the flocked filter was about what you used to be able to pick up a used 2100 for around here....lol

In actual field use, the round flocked nylon filter will plug after a half day's use...hence the reason I always carried a clean spare. Lack of power/harder to idle and the ability to 4 stroke easily are telltale signs your filter is dirty. Pull a dirty filter off an idling 80 and the the idle goes right up...lol.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back