Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok Eric....you got me curious so I went the shop and dug through my old brochures too........and you're right...at least the older 80's with black and white stickers show the flat bottom filter cover.....note that it sits flush on the top cover, like a 621...but the round covers sit proud of the covers by 1/4" or so........makes me think (in theory) that the 80's initially used the 621 filter set up which was an exact carry over from the 601 and 751 but later found it to not have enough area to flow the larger 80 cc motor as well as a larger filter and so developed the longer filter with a correct cover (round) to be added to the later production 80 saws with a minmum of effort........this just my theory but knowing what we do know of Jonsereds propensity to us the same parts on as many varied models as possible it makes sense to me....

That's a very logical conclusion....like that! I'd like to hear from other PNW owners if they ever had a 80 with the flat bottom AF cover arrangement. I'm wondering too how much of this was a Tilton Equipment influenced thing outa Portland, OR....meaning that as soon as J'red developed the longer nylon filter for the 80, Tilton over this way made sure all their saws sold, had it.

Kevin

That's a very logical conclusion....like that! I'd like to hear from other PNW owners if they ever had a 80 with the flat bottom arrangement. I'm wondering too how much of this was a Tilton Equipment influenced thing outa Portland, OR....meaning that as soon as J'red developed the longer nylon filter for the 80, Tilton over this way made sure all their saws sold, had it.

Kevin

I have a half doz. 80's or so at the shop besides the one I run......I know one is from the PNW and the rest are from this area....I will take notice next time I'm there and see what these covers look like......though certainly not definitive because of the age and wear on these saws, there may be a trend...worth noting at least....

I have a half doz. 80's or so at the shop besides the one I run......I know one is from the PNW and the rest are from this area....I will take notice next time I'm there and see what these covers look like......though certainly not definitive because of the age and wear on these saws, there may be a trend...worth noting at least....

I totally agree...the best we can do now is to determine 'trends' back then. As we both know, it's only been relatively recently that pretty collections and restorations have become the 'in' thing. Before that, PO's put anything on these saws that was available and they thought would work. So buying a used saw doesn't necessarily mean the correct OE type parts are still on it....or it's even dressed out as it may have been bought, originally. However, after seeing dozens of examples over the long haul, 'trends' start to become apparent.....even geographic preferences.

Sometimes it's just a gut 'feeling' you get on a low hr saw....that all the OE type stuff on there is as originally sold.

Kevin

I thinking I might have linked to this awhile back:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-jonsereds-90-chainsaw-jonserd

Some people think they have found gold....truly a well "seasoned" saw...lol!

Kevin

You know.... the damn thing probably runs like top........not totally outrageous price considering free shipping...At least from here......I know it was $40 to ship Dean back his 90 and that was only like 3-4 states away....

I picked up a 90 from out your way that was much worse looking....paid very little...had busted parts...pretty beat overall......I got it here and pulled jug which looked very clean compared to the rest of the saw......barely run OEM topend....piston still had vivid machine marks.....rings end gap of 0.003".......LOL!!!!

You know.... the damn thing probably runs like top........not totally outrageous price considering free shipping...At least from here......I know it was $40 to ship Dean back his 90 and that was only like 3-4 states away....

I picked up a 90 from out your way that was much worse looking....paid very little...had busted parts...pretty beat overall......I got it here and pulled jug which looked very clean compared to the rest of the saw......barely run OEM topend....piston still had vivid machine marks.....rings end gap of 0.003".......LOL!!!!

I'm betting that this last eBay 'special' is likely not a sleeper. But you're right, ya never know.....that's why on those kinda deals, I never go too close to $100 and with luck, $75 or less. Hell, when you're paying more for a bunch of NOS or used parts than you are for a complete saw, something is warped.

Kevin

Got some pics of a 621 build I'm doing while I wait on locating some 111s parts. The saw ran well but the bar oil would get a light pink-ish color to it after a while. Figuring it was the case gasket, I split it;

Pistons UP!!!!

2-2-16 008.JPG

No. I only have a small sample of data. Perhaps others could post their information as well.
N-835960 (black/white decals)
N-827656 (black/white decals)
N1-872871 (red/white decals)
N1-880312 (red/white decals)

Thanks, that's good reference!

I don't dare to guess where that is on the timeline though....

It would help if J'red's serial #number system had been more rigid. Except for major model changes, it all seems pretty arbitrary. Best we can do now is refer to the saws we have for 'trends'. And also in their sales lit, they often seemed to have thrown together what they had on hand for the photo shoot and the actual saws that came over here may have varied some.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back