Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much, every saw was offered and issued a winter screen filter, and a summer flocked, fleece, thicker filter. Thats a given. Replacement parts for some old saws are hoarded solely for the value. The rest need not bother.
Don't consider 'flocked filters' as a "summer" filter. They're just better filtration, period. The metal screen filters offered by Jonsereds back in the day were a sorry affair. It's only a tribute to the cylinder plating that many of these saws have survived using that metal screen.

Kevin

I'm only a kid- when I started using these falling- we were at the 600 and early in the 20## family saws- so thats where my loyalties and affections lay.
Mind you, if a big old 111S shows up I might be forced to go old school. :laugh:

Truth be told- small country, small population and Jonsered were never that popular here- the forests were ruled by the orange and grey bogons.
Well.....as I've said before, the 110/111/111S are 60's design saws. And although they have tons of low-end torque and are built like bomb shelters......they are slow-revving, low-rpm saws and could not compete with saws like the Husky 2100 series. The cost to make them, their weight along with the more modern competition drove them to extinction.

Scott sold me a nice example. It's nice to have in the lineup, but I'm not waxing poetic about its performance. Never saw them in the woods. Jonsereds were unpopular in the PNW because of the lack of a dealer network. Scotsco outa Portland was the only place I ever heard they were sold. They accounted for themselves well in the woods; the bigger saws and into the 900 series.....but they just didn't show up much.

Kinda like Beta versus VHS. Beta was clearly a better medium, but VHS won the battle. I only have the Husky 2100 series in my stash. Everything else is Jonsered(s). I find the red saws more interesting and incredibly well-built.

Kevin

Oh, don't worry- once my own stash tops out at the 2094's- there are 1100 and 2100 orange saws within easy grasp. ;)
Only reason I mentioned the 111S was because I have only ever seen one in the wild here in NZ- unicorn horn saws. Typical of the era of big heavy loud and slow- but kinda cool looking.

So- nobody here is going to dispute the fact of a 1991 670 Champ?
Apparently they were not supposed to exist before late 93-early94 I have been told elsewhere.
I can and SB's prove it wasnt made in 91. Your tag isnt one of the 2 champ tags used either.

But your super with champ decals or covers is yours. So be happy. Same saw dont matter. But folks know when they were sold as champs.

Even this guy said it years back before proof of the SB's. = Eric - Taplinhill = The Champ replaced the Super II in late 1992/ early 1993, but was just a name change. The 670 Champ was discontinued (at least by Tilton) in 1997.

Well that definately sounds ligit....I have never seen one with a Gilardoni top end either.....though I have heard about them. They were supposed to be the most powerful 670 setup. Interesting!!
My late model champ has a Gil.

3 cylinders were offered on 670 saws from what I learned awhile back.

j670gil22.jpgj670cyl.jpg

I got the TsuMura 24 in.bar yesterday & filed out the slot to fit the larger studs on the 910E.I went to put the clutch cover on & it wouldn't go on all the way.I couldn't figure it out right away,but after I took the new bar off the saw & laid it next to the old bar I could clearly see that the pin adjuster holes were not big enough.I'll have to try to either drill or file out the holes to accomodate the adjuster pin.
BTW,therer was no free chain.Apparently I didn't read the listing accurately.I could've gotten a chain to accompany the bar for an extra $15.No big deal to me,I have about 6 Stihl 24 in.84 DL chains to put on that bar.

I only had to drill one of the adjuster holes,the other one was the correct size.I then had to file the bar plate adjuster slot.The damn clutch cover sill won't go on.I guess I'll be fiddling with this for about half the winter to get it to fit properly.

I finally got the 24 in.bar & chain on the 910E.The adjuster pin was a real pain to get lined up exactly with the hole on the bar.I can't wait to run this saw,I may not be able to run it till next spring.

I only had to drill one of the adjuster holes,the other one was the correct size.I then had to file the bar plate adjuster slot.The damn clutch cover sill won't go on.I guess I'll be fiddling with this for about half the winter to get it to fit properly.
Yeah, the 'experts' told me it would "only take five minutes" to file/fit the Carlton bar I bought from Bailey's on my 80. It took a damn sight more than that..... better to have found a large mount Husky bar and fiddled with that.

Kevin

Oh, don't worry- once my own stash tops out at the 2094's- there are 1100 and 2100 orange saws within easy grasp. ;)
Only reason I mentioned the 111S was because I have only ever seen one in the wild here in NZ- unicorn horn saws. Typical of the era of big heavy loud and slow- but kinda cool looking.
If you can find non-clapped-out 1100s and 2100s, grab 'em, you won't be disappointed.

The 1100 saw is an interesting saw; a prequel if you would....doesn't have the features that came to us to log with like the 2100, but would be a fantastic big cc ranch saw. Last forever in that duty.

Kevin

Does look all there and low hr. Looks a lot like mine. I hate it when they say "It ran when it was put away". If it was put away with gas in it, you have your work cut out for you. Although an original owner saw like that should have all gas lines replaced along with the crank seals, carb rebuilt, etc. Hopefully, someone isn't going to run it as is and burn it up.

This a great price test for a complete 111S...November, pre-Xmas, one owner 'Holy Grail' saw.......I would expect it to go over a grand easily, but we'll see. Scott had one that was nice; serviced and running that only made it to about the price listed. Never could figure that out because they were going for at least a thousand tattered and missing parts.

They can leak where the handle attaches to the gas tank....even low hr if it was thrown around a lot. Not the best design there.

I think this seller has me 'blocked' and I don't remember any interaction with him. So....don't know if it was a grudge thing from a forum or an actual purchase issue.

Kevin

Will a 910E pull a 28 in.3/8 pitchchain?I know it's an 87cc saw,but I've never run a big J'red before.It has really good compression.
Yes, it was shown in J'reds ads with 'Denny' running it with at least a 32" in 3/8". I run my 90 with a .404 32" bar.....pulls fine.

She'll snort with a 28" 3/8" bar!

Kevin

Does look all there and low hr. Looks a lot like mine. I hate it when they say "It ran when it was put away". If it was put away with gas in it, you have your work cut out for you. Although an original owner saw like that should have all gas lines replaced along with the crank seals, carb rebuilt, etc. Hopefully, someone isn't going to run it as is and burn it up.

This a great price test for a complete 111S...November, pre-Xmas, one owner 'Holy Grail' saw.......I would expect it to go over a grand easily, but we'll see. Scott had one that was nice; serviced and running that only made it to about the price listed. Never could figure that out because they were going for at least a thousand tattered and missing parts.

They can leak where the handle attaches to the gas tank....even low hr if it was thrown around a lot. Not the best design there.

I think this seller has me 'blocked' and I don't remember any interaction with him. So....don't know if it was a grudge thing from a forum or an actual purchase issue.

Kevin
Yeah that's about as informative the "It was new once" line!!!

Should be interesting to watch......people are funny rigs.....many times they will willingly pay more for a broken/ incomplete saw than a complete one. Also starting with a high opening bid it's hard to get the bidding frenzy going sometimes.

If it were not ,Bryce, selling that saw I would toss a$1500. bid in on it but after buying hundreds of dollars of parts from him he began to get sketchy, sending less parts than what were paid for and incorrect parts, became super self defensive if I contacted him about it and blocked me because I actually let him know he or one of his assistants messed up and forget about asking him questions, he has no time to answer.

If it were not ,Bryce, selling that saw I would toss a$1500. bid in on it but after buying hundreds of dollars of parts from him he began to get sketchy, sending less parts than what were paid for and incorrect parts, became super self defensive if I contacted him about it and blocked me because I actually let him know he or one of his assistants messed up and forget about asking him questions, he has no time to answer.
Yep....I've heard that about Bryce too.........fortunately I've never had any problems with our transactions but haven't bought from him more than a dozen or so times...maybe 15......don't see him selling whole saws often....generally make much more parting them out. If this doesn't sell he'll probably have a bunch of 111S parts for sale in short order.

Maybe that was the deal then; I bought some parts and had a complaint resulting in him blocking me. If it was an egregious battle or something sinister I would remember it.

Maybe he was the guy who had that crummy, fake copy of the Husky 2100 Service Manual in print form. That was a TOTAL waste of money......

Kevin

Latest posts

Back