Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just added another Jonsered Raket to my modest collection -- this one is a Raket 62. Should be here in a week or so. Said to be a runner. Looks complete. One question - the hand guard screwed to the top cover - does that look like an original Jonsered piece? The other 62's I have seen don't have this.

Yes, they had that hand guard from the factory....most guys removed them at some point...they catch on brush and crack etc. You should see two tiny holes in the top of these vintage saw covers where the hand guard was once attached.

I'm not sure those are the correct fasteners though you have...if you wanna be picky. You'd have to ask Eric whether they came silver or black on the silver tops(or both)...I've seen them both colors. And Euro spec saws may be different yet.

Kevin

Yes, they had that hand guard from the factory....most guys removed them at some point...they catch on brush and crack etc. You should see two tiny holes in the top of these vintage saw covers where the hand guard was once attached.

I'm not sure those are the correct fasteners though you have...if you wanna be picky. You'd have to ask Eric whether they came silver or black on the silver tops(or both)...I've seen them both colors. And Euro spec saws may be different yet.

Kevin

Ok, thanks for the details, Kevin.

Who is Eric?

Scott

Can you let me know what the "low" version is?

thanks,

Scott

That was Eric...taplinhill. I think there was a lot of swapping around when the hand guards would break....maybe the replacement guards from the factory were always black....dunno. It's like the clutch covers we were discussing in here once for silver tops. We're not sure if J'reds ever sent out replacement clutch covers in the red/silver combo that came on the saws, but maybe always just red.

And maybe all bets are off with Euro spec saws too.

Kevin

That was Eric...taplinhill. I think there was a lot of swapping around when the hand guards would break....maybe the replacement guards from the factory were always black....dunno. It's like the clutch covers we were discussing in here once for silver tops. We're not sure if J'reds ever sent out replacement clutch covers in the red/silver combo that came on the saws, but maybe always just red.

And maybe all bets are off with Euro spec saws too.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. That's helpful.

Scott

Man....it sure got QUIET in here...lol!

Did anyone here buy that lot of 80/90 and other model cases, tops, junk etc....I think it was $150 for the group? Stuff was dirty but looked well worth it.

Kevin
Shh! Not yet. Lol. Good price just got too much of every thing else going on.

That's another cut full-wrap with a user dangle put in the end. They work, but they're not the potential strength of going back to the saw case and anchoring with the unobtainium AV. These were user made as far as I know and the dangle is an insert. I wouldn't think that Tilton Equipment would offer the dangle as they probably could get the unobtainium mount into the 80's.

Shhhhh.....I just picked up another unobtainium mount... lol. Too bad most of the full-wraps have been cut.

The 801 IS interesting, but we're all a bit scared by his bearing "grow"(growl) comment. Still, if I was hard up for another 80/90, I'd take the plunge. Hard for me to believe those bearings are trashed on what appears to be a relatively low hr saw......of course I have no idea of its user history.

Kevin

So was the bell or dangle as you call it available "back in the day"? All the ones I've seen looked the same. I would think that if it was an aftermarket add-on someone here would be in the know or at least come across the bell in a stash of parts. I've never seen one for sale.

I don't know who started them or where they all came from.....agree there were similarities, but it's an end user thing, not a J'red part or even an accessory. I've seen balls, dangles and other shapes.

Kinda like seeing an 80/90 with a pipe plug for the oil cap....like they say, necessity is the mother of invention.

Kevin

Yeah, he's an interesting chap....I know him now a little. He's playing two sides of the same coin. He's selling NOS put together saws to collectors and occasionally, NOS, NLA parts. He's got a knack for finding old dealers who are about to throw away J'reds and Husky NOS, NLA parts......some in Canada and some in the US.

Very cheerful, likable guy(and ya know I don't dish out compliments often).......starting doing this with used cranks & cases, but more recently been using NOS cases(used cranks, new bearings).

Kevin

I don't think he cares if he gets the money or not....eventually he'll get it from a collector like the rest of the saws he's sold built like that. He said he'd like to clear his garage, but at the same time, he's on a NA hunt for NOS NLA parts of all kinds.

I think he tests the waters occasionally on eBay. He also told me that up in Canada with respect to chainsaws and chainsaw parts, most people get rid of stuff through services like their version of craigslist and really don't use eBay that much. So if a big gaggle of NOS NLA dealer parts aren't sold fairly locally, they just haul the stuff to the dump. I know, try not to have the same heart aching visual that I'm having.

All that being said, Tim told me the guy lives in a REALLY rural part of the province where the roads are mostly gravel and you lose windshields routinely because of the road conditions. Hard/harsh weather & wind conditions as well. The American's stereotype of remote/rural Canada.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back