Jonsered ID Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjcocn

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a saw (one of 3) that I just picked up at lunch.

Can anyone tell me which model this is?

Thanks!

Old%20Jonsered%20R%20Side%2002.JPG

PS ... my pic editing programs at work are not very good, hence the extra white space in the pic.

Hi! They are a few guys on here that really know their Jonny's (not so much me). We MAY need to see the other side, but I think the top cover is too high for an SP49 or 52 or the like. Based on the way the top cover bolts on, I'd say 66E, or 70E. Good find, great saws.

Hi! They are a few guys on here that really know their Jonny's (not so much me). We MAY need to see the other side, but I think the top cover is too high for an SP49 or 52 or the like. Based on the way the top cover bolts on, I'd say 66E, or 70E. Good find, great saws.

No decomp on the 66e or 70e. :cheers:

Here is a pic of the other side ...

Old%20Jonsered%20L%20Side.JPG

I also got a Poulan Pro 405 and a Husky 51. None are running, but the price is right.

He's got a few more, one of which is a bigger J-red. I can have that one too. :D

Shame to use such a nice saw on pallets. Would have been great for a Wild Thing!:cheers:

This was in 1986-87 before this model was considered a 'classic'. We fed the boiler in the metalshop with old pallets the school got from various shipping companies. Most of us in the metalshop were rancher's/logger's kids so we were expected to do the 'outside chores' for the school.

Looks like a 90. It has the louvered air filter cover. Also, the decomp.

That would work! An 87cc saw would certainly be a step up from my 455 Rancher or MS290 and would fill that "need" for a bigger saw.

A bonus would be that I'd have a larger cc Jonsered again (but I will still grab an 820 when I get the chance).

My next question: How available are parts for this saw, or should I start lining up sources for parts saws?

Thanks

Not many bigger than the 90. With any luck it is a 111S. Now, that would be a real find!

I was thinking about that this afternoon. Before he started digging around his shed he had stated that he had a 70(E?) as well. Maybe the 90 is the bigger saw and the other one is a 70.

We'll know for sure when he digs the other saws out. :D

I was thinking about that this afternoon. Before he started digging around his shed he had stated that he had a 70(E?) as well. Maybe the 90 is the bigger saw and the other one is a 70.

We'll know for sure when he digs the other saws out. :D

Maybe, as the one pictured here surely is not a 70......:)

Maybe, as the one pictured here surely is not a 70......:)

So can I call this saw a 90 and start the repairs based on that, or is there some other information that I can obtain from the saw and post up for you folks?

I PM'd the serial number to an AS member and he will get back to me, but is there anything else that I can do to get clarification? If I pull the head off and measure the cylinder bore would that help?

Thanks for your patience!

So can I call this saw a 90 and start the repairs based on that, or is there some other information that I can obtain from the saw and post up for you folks?

I PM'd the serial number to an AS member and he will get back to me, but is there anything else that I can do to get clarification? If I pull the head off and measure the cylinder bore would that help?

Thanks for your patience!

Just send it to me. You don't want to mess around with something so old when there is a perfectly good Poulan waiting for you at the local big box store.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, Not much else it can be unless it is some kind of Frankensaw. Time to begin........CAD strikes again!

Just send it to me. You don't want to mess around with something so old when there is a perfectly good Poulan waiting for you at the local big box store.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously, Not much else it can be unless it is some kind of Frankensaw. Time to begin........CAD strikes again!

You almost had me there .... I was boxing it up for shipping and was going to PM you for your address, then I read your "Seriously" sentence. :D

I have a fire going in the garage and will be heading out in a few minutest to continue disassembling it. It doesn't look too bad so far, but there was no spark plug in it so I am not sure what the cylinder will look like. Some Areokroil on the muffler bolts will ease the removal of that part, so maybe I'll have a look inside tonight if those bolts break free easily.

Did the 90 come with a different handguard than the one shown in the link?

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...3dd448b41ed30e4788256b69007dac1a?OpenDocument

You'll probably need to dig around at Mike Acres' site.

Thanks!

I noticed that difference, and was thinking that an earlier model ('75 or '76) may have come with that hand guard? I will try and get some part numbers and hopefully will come across an IPL for it, but in the meantime I will measure the bore and try to match it up with one on the acres site.

Dial-up will slow that process, but I can always go into work early tomorrow and finish searching.

If it's 54mm, you're good to go. The saw pictured in the Collector's link has been restored and when saws go through restoration they don't always get 100% 'original' parts.

Latest posts

Back