Jonsered ID Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's 54mm, you're good to go. The saw pictured in the Collector's link has been restored and when saws go through restoration they don't always get 100% 'original' parts.

True. I'm curious because the saw pictured is from the George Blake collection, & a lot folks consider him to be the Jonsered guy.

If it's 54mm, you're good to go. The saw pictured in the Collector's link has been restored and when saws go through restoration they don't always get 100% 'original' parts.

The cylinder is 54mm and both it and the piston are good to go. There is some carbon build up on the top of the piston and a bit on the respective cylinder area, but not too much and both areas should clean up nice.

The choke lever was unhooked and the choke plate was stiff, but that should be an easy fix.

The only other thing that I noticed was that a ground (? black) wire was loose where it plugs into the coil. The wire pulled free from the female spade terminal.

So it looks like a new plug, some new fuel lines, and a carb kit should put me in a position to fire it up once I read up on the tests that I have to do.

The chain is worn, but the bar looks to be in great shape so overall this is starting to look like a quick repair. :D

Thanks

:cheers:

Last edited:
Now all he needs to do is e-mail George and buy a thin-ring piston...

I came across that name when I was doing a search today. :D

After I get more into the saw and have a list of required parts I will definitely be looking to email him. The piston looks to be in great shape. Can I not just put new rings on and re-use the piston?

Thanks

I came across that name when I was doing a search today. :D

After I get more into the saw and have a list of required parts I will definitely be looking to email him. The piston looks to be in great shape. Can I not just put new rings on and re-use the piston?

Thanks

Yep. That is what I do, unless the piston is scored. I've used George many times.

Those chain brakes are a dealer add-on (around here through Tilton). They were not stock. I find them on 621 and 801 a lot. My 801 and 51 both have them. They don't lock on, they push down on the clutch drum and ground out the engine. The saw stalls and the chain slows to a stop.

And just so you know, a lot of the 801 parts will work on your 90.

Last edited:
Those chain brakes are a dealer add-on (aroung here through Tilton). They were not stock. I find them on 621 and 801 a lot. ...... ________________________

That was new info - but I guess they were supplied by Jonsereds as an option, as new saws has been reported to have come with them, and not only in North America.

And George is???
And his email is??
I could use a new/used decomp for my 90 as it is missing the 'KNOB'

George's e-mail is: [email protected]

He's a real good guy to deal with.

Those chain brakes are a dealer add-on (around here through Tilton). They were not stock. I find them on 621 and 801 a lot. My 801 and 51 both have them. They don't lock on, they push down on the clutch drum and ground out the engine. The saw stalls and the chain slows to a stop.

And just so you know, a lot of the 801 parts will work on your 90.

This is real good info and history on these saws.

Back