Jonsered or Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2159 is about to be replaced with the lighter and stronger 2258 (and the 2156 with the lighter and stronger 2260). Both new saws have autotune, and they are based on the Husky 555 and 560xp.

When!?!?!? I want one!!!!!

Niko..I'm unclear on my metric conversions but what does .1 KW amount to in HP???? AND how much more does the Blue and Black saw weigh than the Red and Black saw to achieve this gain?? Inquiring minds want to know!! LOL!!

.100 kW is .136 hp(m) or .134 hp(i), but calculating on already rounded off numbers always is "risky" anyway. Btw, hp(m) and hp(i) both are "bhp", so that expression only tells it isn't the ol' SAE hp, and is pretty meaningless today!

It looks like the 2260 will be a bit over 1 1/2 pounds lighter than the 6400/6401, and it is rated at the same max power, but it obviously will be a bit more expensive.

You really need to handle the saws. Better yet, demo. them. HP and weight can go out the window if it doesn't fit your style.
I remember a guy on here that bought because of our recommendations and wasn't happy with the saw.
He said it just didn't feel right in his hands. We're all different and we can be set in our ways. :redface:

Surely, but the main issue is that there aren't really a 60cc Dolmar, so I don't understand why that brand is mentioned here at all! :givebeer:

Dolmar PS-6400 isn't really a 60cc? Come on, its only 4cc above and over so it certainly qualifies as that category.

Dolmar PS-6400 isn't really a 60cc? Come on, its only 4cc above and over so it certainly qualifies as that category.

Well, a saw that weights and are bulky as a 70cc+ saw doesn't fit well into a comparison of "60cc" saws, as it won't be competetive at all! It just is too heavy and bulky to fit in.

Well, a saw that weights and are bulky as a 70cc+ saw doesn't fit well into a comparison of "60cc" saws, as it won't be competetive at all! It just is too heavy and bulky to fit in.

The PS-6400 fits right in the middle between a 60cc and 70cc saw with the power to match. What, it weighs a whole pound more? Sure, and costs almost one-third less than its immediate competition. The numbers don't lie, Niko. It is without a doubt one of the most popular saws in its class because it is one of the very best values in its class.

I'd say that makes it very competitive.

I have a Husky 362 XP and a Makita 6401.(basically saws you are looking for)
Both saws are awesome!
Husky seems to have more R's (rpm)
Makita more torque
Makita has a month left in warranty(so i use it more)
I would buy anther Makita in a heartbeat for the price.
Resale on the Husky will be better.
Used Makita's @ HD are $250 last i checked.
Mark

Unless there is a 2165 laying around at a dealer, you can't get one as it's no longer available from Tilton.

It has been replaced by the 2166 which actually makes this debate more interesting. Now we're talking 71cc. The 2166 is the same displacement as the 2172. They differ only in "porting". (And it's a difference that is easily "corrected" BTW.) Even stock, a 2166 has more grunt than a 2165 due to the extra displacement.

Thanks for input guys. The reason I am not looking for a Husqvarna is the dealer near me is a total ass. Yea I am never going to do any modifications on this saw, I am the same way with my vehicles, stock all the way. That being said, I don't think I would mind extra weight if it meant a tougher saw. Bottom line is saw will be used hard and will stay stock.
Btw, how much is a rental for the 6400 at home depot? I would try that if it weren't too expensive since I don't want to eat into my purchase money.

Which dealer is this? I'm not impressed with either of the two dealers i've been too. (one husky, one dolmar/jonsered)

The PS-6400 fits right in the middle between a 60cc and 70cc saw with the power to match. What, it weighs a whole pound more? Sure, and costs almost one-third less than its immediate competition. The numbers don't lie, Niko. It is without a doubt one of the most popular saws in its class because it is one of the very best values in its class.

I'd say that makes it very competitive.

I believe the 6400s relative popularity on here to a large degree is because of the low prices they have been sold at + that they can be rebuilt into a 7900. To some, a low price will compensate for a comparatively heavy and bulky saw - but it surely doesn't to me.
Happily, people are different - it would be no fun with a forum like this if we weren't......:msp_biggrin:

Back