Jonsered or Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The name of the place is Tyler's Small Engine in Antrim. I run my own business so I don't believe in supporting a place that doesn't do good business. I will go an extra mile to give my money to someone who knows to treat a customer. I had such a bad experience with this guy that I vowed never to spend any of my money there no matter how desperate I got and I recommend to everyone I meet to do the same. I have asked around about this guy too and everyone I ask agrees that he stinks, they just say that he is close so they deal with him. I'm way too stubborn though lol.

I believe the 6400s relative popularity on here to a large degree is because of the low prices they have been sold at + that they can be rebuilt into a 7900. To some, a low price will compensate for a comparatively heavy and bulky saw - but it surely doesn't to me.
Happily, people are different - it would be no fun with a forum like this if we weren't......:msp_biggrin:

No not just to some, but to most. Its funny you should mention the price issue because personally, I think this plays more than just a little bit into why some here consider the 346XP so highly against say, an MS261, quite often mentioning the Stihl's higher price. I know that you quite happily paid more for your 346XP than a Stihl would have cost you, same here in Canada, but we both know the US market is the opposite.

IMHO, I'd be willing to wager that if those stateside had to pay a 20% premium for the Husky XP above and over the competition then very few would be knocking the value of the Dolmar or even that of the Stihl. Being as that is, there is nothing in the Husqvarna line-up that matches the 6400 for power and quality for the money. Also known as value. Unless you're using said saw 8 hours a day, a pound difference on a 13 pound saw is of little consequence, at lest to me. If one needs a light saw for limbing, the MS200 is perfect.

At some point in just about everyone's decision making, value for the dollar comes into play. Unless of course someone else is buying it for you. If someone can afford to have one saw worth $800 just sitting around, all the power to them. Me personally, I'd prefer to have 2 or 3 saws for the same money. No one tool is right for all possible jobs so if you have a budget to deal with, value has to come into the equation at some point.

No not just to some, but to most. Its funny you should mention the price issue because personally, I think this plays more than just a little bit into why some here consider the 346XP so highly against say, an MS261, quite often mentioning the Stihl's higher price. I know that you quite happily paid more for your 346XP than a Stihl would have cost you, same here in Canada, but we both know the US market is the opposite.

IMHO, I'd be willing to wager that if those stateside had to pay a 20% premium for the Husky XP above and over the competition then very few would be knocking the value of the Dolmar or even that of the Stihl. Being as that is, there is nothing in the Husqvarna line-up that matches the 6400 for power and quality for the money. Also known as value. Unless you're using said saw 8 hours a day, a pound difference on a 13 pound saw is of little consequence, at lest to me. If one needs a light saw for limbing, the MS200 is perfect.

Stihl is the "cheap" brand here regarding pro saws and the difference most often isn't small! However, their "strato" models have been totally uninspiering designs so far, as was the early Husky "stratos" - but unlike Stihl, Husky has managed to do something about it! :msp_biggrin:

I don't buy saws often, so I use the money that is needed to get what I really want. Your defination of "value" doesn't fit me at all regarding saws, but I know it fits regarding most other stuff.....

I don't buy saws often, so I use the money that is needed to get what I really want. Your defination of "value" doesn't fit me at all regarding saws, but I know it fits regarding most other stuff.....

So we can agree regarding value. I think almost everyone has to deal within a certain budget, and has to choose where to prioritize whether this means homes, cars, lawnmowers, chainsaws or whatever. Which is why I am always looking for the best saw for the best price for the type of job. As long as it is a quality product from a good manufacturer, the brand name is of little relevance.

I dunno sometimes when I see some of the collections on here I wonder how many members are actually trust-funders. :msp_wink:

I believe the 6400s relative popularity on here to a large degree is because of the low prices they have been sold at + that they can be rebuilt into a 7900. To some, a low price will compensate for a comparatively heavy and bulky saw - but it surely doesn't to me.
Happily, people are different - it would be no fun with a forum like this if we weren't......:msp_biggrin:

You are undoubtedly right Niko.
The things you mention are some of the reasons why the 6400 is such a popular saw.
Another reason that you forgot to mention is..........................it is just a great saw!!!

There has been nothing else in its class that was even close.
MAYBE now the Huskies and J-reds will be more competitive but up until now, the power of the Huskreds was just no where close.
There is a REASON the Huskies and Jonsereds are now 70cc saws!

Don't get me wrong...I love them all and I've made it a point to run as many of each competing model as I could get my hands on, but at the end of the day if you were to line them all up side by side.....I'll still take my 6400.

Mike

I have been able to run several of the dolmar models and really like their saws, but where I live there are very few dealers and the ones that actually have saws charge full retail price. The jonsered dealers are about the same. You will have to look at what is available in the area you are buying in to compare the price value. In this area the husky 365 xtorq is the closet saw powerwise to the 6400 and sells for about $589. I have seen a dolmar 7300 for $630, but have not seen a 6400 even in stock. I have not seen the jonsered 2166 which would be the closest saw in their lineup to the 6400 in this area. I don't believe you would go wrong with any of the saws mentioned above.

There is a REASON the Huskies and Jonsereds are now 70cc saws!

Mike

Mike; the REASON is manufacturing simplicity. In the past Husky approached this the same as Dolmar. Two saws on a common chassis, putting out different power and at different prices. The old way was to use different piston and cylinder assemblies with different displacements. Now, they use the same piston, and the same cylinder casting with a clever porting alteration. This new approach will prove quite popular here in the saw enthusiast community once the riddle is solved. (and no, I'm not going to elaborate :biggrin:)

If someone wants to upgrade a 6400 to a 7900, they have to buy a piston and cylinder assembly. If you want to upgrade a 2166 to a 2172, you just have to change something. You don't have to buy anything. :smile2:

Disclaimer: I'm not knocking the 6400; An incredible bang-for-the-buck saw.

Disclaimer #2: Don't send me any PM's. I ain't tellin'. :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back