Jonsered Turbo High Performance 2 cycle mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by treeclimber165

What air cooled two-cycle machines do you have that call for something other than 50-1 mix?
We have an air cooled, two stroke jack hammer that uses a ratio of 8:1.

Mike, just run one tank of straight oil after every fifty tanks of straight gas.  That should average out over the long haul.  No sense in using more oil than the manufacturer specifies, really, but if you feel you must, drop back to forty-tank intervals.

A farmer that I know swears by Tanaka perfect mix oil, simmilar to what you describe. He runs this stuff in all of his eqipment from ancient Homelite saws to todays Echo's and Stihls with no problems at all. I still prefer the factory oil for my saws.

In all my years of running 2 strokes: saws, boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, hedgers, power prunners, ect., I have never had an oil related engine failure.
I know a guy that had a crank seal go out on an 066, not sure if that's oil related, but that's the closest I can think of, and he was running stihl oil.
The wife even ran a 1 gallon tank of straight gas through the lawnboy once about 8 years back and it still runs fine.
I read in a manual(forget which one) that in a pinch, just use 30 weight.
I figure if it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to run a specific oil for each tool, then do it. Otherwise just have some oil, of some brand, at some ratio, and have at 'er.
You will NOT have an engine failure because of the brand of oil you use. You will also NOT have a failure if your ratio is off by 10 or 20%.

In our equipment shop(railroad)they use the Tanaka Perfect Mix in the 16oz self measure bottle in all the 2strokes regardless of what the engine manufacturers mix ratio is.
They have had no failures ,oil related,with any of the equipment.
The supplier to the shop( a local small dealer) sells Husky,Stihl,Echo,Redmax,Shindiawa,Tanaka and more. He uses and recommends the Tanaka oil.
Why do we use it, because they feel that the average employee cannot be expected to mix the fuel correctly, and to send a crew out with 3 pieces of equipment with 3 different fuel mixes is just asking for problems.Therefore everything is kept the same.
When they sign out a tool they get it fueled and oiled with a min 2.5gal can of premixed fuel and extra oil.
Prior to using the Tanaka oil and the one mix policy, oil stavation problems were sadly too common.

What kind of equipment, gatekepr1?

The reason I ask is I see that you work for the railroad. While BN railway (local railway) no longer uses the little putt-putt section cars, perhaps you do. I have heard rumors that some small lines still use them, although Fairmont (last mfgr) stopped production of replacement parts about 10 years ago.

I've got a Fairmont engine out of one; interesting engine. 2 stroke, about 60 cu in, 1 cylinder, about 8 hp. Runs either direction by moving ign. timing. Throttling by a flap in transfer port or at carb, plain bearings throughout.

I'm certain this is one example of a two stroke that would not survive at 40:1. I grant you that this is an extreme example, the rare exception that proves the rule.

Hermin,

I assume you are just joking about the Hytran. If you are serious than I must say "YIKES". I must ask, would you put ATF in your truck engine ?

Bill

Latest posts

Back