Jonsered vs. Husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crs5357

Reaction score
I presently have a 1998 Jonsee 670 Super. It is indeed super. But the parts
are expensive and hard to find where I live.

Which way should a guy go in buying a replacement saw? Husky 372? Would I notice a difference from the world class ergonomics of the 670? How
about a Jonsee 2171 or 2186? Is the extra weight of the 2186 too big a penalty? I have always had adequate power with the 670.

I am not a Stihl fan. I own an 044 and 026 Pro. Both are hard starting and
the 044 has far less in human factors than the 670, but that is just my opinion.

Seems like the safe bet is Husky because they are everywhere and things
like air filters will be easy to find. Not so with my 670.

Thank you!

R. Solberg
White Bear, MN

The 372XP is my go to firewood saw, with a Makita (Dolmar) 6401 backup saw-not that I need it :) :chainsaw: . Husky and the Jred are basically the same saws, with minor differences ergonomically-handle angles, etc. My friends Stihl 290 is a bear to start. On these saws, they have decomp buttons to ease starting, which some AS members don't like. I use it on a cold saw.:cheers:

Stihl saws have a way of picking their owners... if they are hard to start and you think they are a "troublesome" saw... then you prolly shouldn't own any.

LMAO... :rolleyes:

Gary

Husky 372 has an angled handle, Jonsered 2171 is pretty much straight. They have a different feel. Your dealer should be able to back both. If this is the case I would get the 2171, it should be cheaper and is no means less of a saw. It will feel closer to your 670, but smooth. Personally I like the 2171 over the 372, but that's a feel thing.

My friends Stihl 290 is a bear to start.QUOTE]

LOL! My MS290 is the easiest to start saw that I have, hot or cold!

I do have Stihl, Husqvarna, and Makita saws with decomp buttons on them, but generally only use it on cold starts.

If your having trouble with parts for the 670 Jonsered, try looking a on Ebay. You can get almost anything you need for it. It doesnt hurt to have a good backup saw incase you have to wait a while to find a certain part. Good luck Rick. :cheers:

Most 670 parts are still available, and a good deal of them can be obtained from Husky dealers as a lot of the smaller and internal items were shared with saws such as the 266.

I have both a 385 and 372 (2186 and 2171)

I much prefer the 372 for cutting wood. The 385's a heavy torque pig. Unless you're in 32" lumber or milling. I'd get the 372, seriously, the 385 wears you out. I'd probably only get a 385 if I was walking through the bush cutting down monster trees all day, every day forever, or milling. As far as johny red vs husky, I guess the difference is price, color and handle angle. The orange ones are "cuved" while the red and black are straight. If you get a johny red and don't like the handle, you can pick up a husky handle for it. That'll probably give your saw more power AND make it look better too :)

Considering that J-Red and Husky are both owned by the same company and are very similar, you might find that a lot of the common wear parts and interchangable.

If your having trouble with parts for the 670 Jonsered, try looking a on Ebay. You can get almost anything you need for it. It doesnt hurt to have a good backup saw incase you have to wait a while to find a certain part. Good luck Rick. :cheers:

I follow Jonsered saws pretty closely on eBay (no Jonsered dealer support in Houston), & don't see that many 670 parts listed. They also tend to bring pretty good $$ when they are listed.

I presently have a 1998 Jonsee 670 Super. It is indeed super. But the parts
are expensive and hard to find where I live.

Which way should a guy go in buying a replacement saw? Husky 372? Would I notice a difference from the world class ergonomics of the 670? How
about a Jonsee 2171 or 2186? Is the extra weight of the 2186 too big a penalty? I have always had adequate power with the 670.

I am not a Stihl fan. I own an 044 and 026 Pro. Both are hard starting and
the 044 has far less in human factors than the 670, but that is just my opinion.

Seems like the safe bet is Husky because they are everywhere and things
like air filters will be easy to find. Not so with my 670.

Thank you!

R. Solberg
White Bear, MN

It sounds like your primary reason for upgrading is parts availability. If that's the case, then, anywhere I've lived, without question, Stihl parts are easier to find.

It sounds like your primary reason for upgrading is parts availability. If that's the case, then, anywhere I've lived, without question, Stihl parts are easier to find.
He said that hes not a Stihl fan. I do agree with you though that in terms of parts availability, Stihl is the best.

Latest posts

Back