Going to stir the pot. Stihl vs Husky.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.308 verses 30-06
Times have changed years ago 06s ammo was easy to find and .308 scarce.
Kash
I will stay on the chain saw track but could debate this all day long 30-06 clear winner but .270 and .308 are superior in certain applications.
Kash

.308 verses 30-06
Kash
I will stay on the chain saw track but could debate this all day long 30-06 clear winner but .270 and .308 are superior in certain applications.
Kash
.308 and 30-06 aren't exactly competitors in my mind, but rather intended to complement each other. Same bullet size, but one is a military round for a long action rifle and one is for a short action rifle. The 30-06 was developed for the military in 1906 (hence the name) and worked fine in traditional bolt action rifles. However, in the 1950's the military wanted a shorter version better suited to cycling reliably in semi-auto applications and throwing more lead down range. Academically speaking there is a touch more muzzle energy and velocity on the 30-06, but honestly it's very close.

Sorry, couldn't help myself-my father was a gun dealer ;)

Hahaha!!!
Okay. Wow

I know...Reality is a big gulp for the internet.

I have days my ass is kicked after work..the weight difference between 50cc saws isn't the reason.

I'll give you a good example : my crew did 5 pines on Thursday, it was just one of those jobs that sucked, tons of obstacles, couldn't get the chipper close and the kubota we move logs with wouldn't fit through the gate. We used only 2 saws - 261s and 201s. After dragging the branches about 40 yards up hill along with hand carrying every log we were worn out.

Had I used a 260 instead of a 261 the outcome wouldn't have been any different. These tales of life saving ounces are seldom told by guys that actually do this.

I know...Reality is a big gulp for the internet.

I have days my ass is kicked after work..the weight difference between 50cc saws isn't the reason.

I'll give you a good example : my crew did 5 pines on Thursday, it was just one of those jobs that sucked, tons of obstacles, couldn't get the chipper close and the kubota we move logs with wouldn't fit through the gate. We used only 2 saws - 261s and 201s. After dragging the branches about 40 yards up hill along with hand carrying every log we were worn out.

Had I used a 260 instead of a 261 the outcome wouldn't have been any different. These tales of life saving ounces are seldom told by guys that actually do this.
X2. Had a job I helped my logging mate out with, couple he cleared a lot for decided they wanted all the oak out of their back yard, after they had their house built. The had septic, and buried gas tanks in the yard that were strategically placed around these trees. I think they may have had a bunker as well but I have to way to prove it. We got together with the contractor and selected safe felling zones. 18 trees in all and we had to use a hand truck to get the logs out after it was felled and bucked. No heavy equipment was allowed to be used. Took nearly a month between the two of us to get them all down and out, and clean up the brush. Didnt help I was just able to help fridays and saturdays. Never again. We did get to keep the wood out of it, but it really wasnt worth the work that went into it.

Okay. I acquiesce. Everyone's mileage varies. I knew a guy named chris that only climbed with a 660 and a 16" bar. For me, and many others I've worked with, weight and nimbleness is an issue and often talked about. From carabiners to boots to saws.
Why else would manufacturers use magnesium instead of aluminum? Or release different variations of the same saw, but trimmed down?
I hear what your saying, and I have nothing but respect. It's pointless to argue personal outlooks. And I respect yours.
If you're making chips and smiling, I don't care what color of sticker your saw has.

.308 verses 30-06
Kash
Kash
I agree 100 % ...however when I get my .378 Weatherby Magnum this fall , my faithful 700 Remington will retire lol.

That's what I'm saying!
Lol!!
I'm going to Washington in august. Can't wait to see these mythical trees.

What "mythical" trees are you speaking of? Stand inside a 16 foot diameter redwood....it might make you forget all about Husky vs Stihl or chainsaws at all.

What "mythical" trees are you speaking of? Stand inside a 16 foot diameter redwood....it might make you forget all about Husky vs Stihl or chainsaws at all.
That's exactly the mythical tree I'm referring to. Lol. I cannot wait to stand among true giants. A four foot oak is paltry in comparison.... especially when it's only 100 ft tall, but... 120ft in width. It's just completely different.
Remember Buckinstock a few years ago, when billy got a saw in 24" ash... He was like "what?!?"...while ironhorse giggled. He spent more time sharpening than anything. Yup... Bring 5 pristine chains and still spend lunch sharpening between bites.
It's just completely different.
Only love and admiration for the west coast chip slingers. True giant slayers.
Again, I cannot wait to finally bear witness.

My father and I are still in contact with most of our former companies and coworkers. None of which can find a husqvarna dealer anymore. They're almost exclusively stihl now.

Not sure just where you're talking about but I'm on the Ma/NH border around Nashua and can count over a dozen servicing husqvarna dealerships within 20 miles of me. Could probably triple that number by doubling the distance.
That's not counting the homeowner stuff sold at the countless home depots.
Many of these also sell stihl as well and (mostly homeowner) stihls are sold at Ace hardware stores, which around here are everywhere and effectively pretty much the same as getting a husqvarna at home depot.

So around here in 'the northeast', both stihl and husqvarna dealers are at a saturation point...

Not sure just where you're talking about but I'm on the Ma/NH border around Nashua and can count over a dozen servicing husqvarna dealerships within 20 miles of me. Could probably triple that number by doubling the distance.
That's not counting the homeowner stuff sold at the countless home depots.
Many of these also sell stihl as well and (mostly homeowner) stihls are sold at Ace hardware stores, which around here are everywhere and effectively pretty much the same as getting a husqvarna at home depot.

So around here in 'the northeast', both stihl and husqvarna dealers are at a saturation point...
Same here in the part of Pa I live in. Only a few good dealers though.

For western hunting I'd take a 270 or 280 over either.
Actually , you can't go wrong with any of the mentioned calibers . They all originated from the venerable 30.03 Springfield . The smaller .270 , .280 along with 7mm , .308 & 30.06 all will effectively put meat in the freezer. The .270 & .280 have a slight fps ballistic advantage. & flatter trajectory primarily due to the smaller grain bullets that they use . The 30.06 has a significant advantage in hitting power down range , which is beneficial for one shot kills of larger animals such as Moose , Elk , Caibou or Brown Bear . Personally I more often zero my scope for 100 us since The Moose and Elk I hunt with the 700 Remington are in or around swamps and dense bush . 200 & 180 gr. bullets are the norm , due to their deflection resistance . I have though utilized my 30.06 with 165 gr. botails on Whitetails & Swamp Bucks , however my Marlin .444 with 265 gr. is my preference within 100 yd shots . I hunted across from International Falls Minnesota in the 80's and routinely bench rest hunted and killed deer at 400-500 yds. I would have loved a .280 caliber back then lol. Anyhow next season my .378 Weatherby will do the talking . Sorry to hijacking the thread ;)

Actually , you can't go wrong with any of the mentioned calibers . They all originated from the venerable 30.03 Springfield . The smaller .270 , .280 along with 7mm , .308 & 30.06 all will effectively put meat in the freezer. The .270 & .280 have a slight fps ballistic advantage. & flatter trajectory primarily due to the smaller grain bullets that they use . The 30.06 has a significant advantage in hitting power down range , which is beneficial for one shot kills of larger animals such as Moose , Elk , Caibou or Brown Bear . Personally I more often zero my scope for 100 us since The Moose and Elk I hunt with the 700 Remington are in or around swamps and dense bush . 200 & 180 gr. bullets are the norm , due to their deflection resistance . I have though utilized my 30.06 with 165 gr. botails on Whitetails & Swamp Bucks , however my Marlin .444 with 265 gr. is my preference within 100 yd shots . I hunted across from International Falls Minnesota in the 80's and routinely bench rest hunted and killed deer at 400-500 yds. I would have loved a .280 caliber back then lol. Anyhow next season my .378 Weatherby will do the talking . Sorry to hijacking the thread ;)
At normal long range(600 or less) a -06 gets you more recoil and no better terminal performance. Even on elk.
I actually have a 375 H&H. I would never carry that heavy pig on an elk hunt.

A lot of it comes down to the bottom line in any company. If you sift through Husky's 2019 annual report (2020 not out yet) the entire focus is on battery and robotic mowers. The only chainsaw mentioned was the 550XP.
They used to split chainsaws out in the financial report but no longer do so. They are lumped in to Forestry, Park and Garden category.
In prior reports the Garden segment was by far the largest and they always were trying ways to get the margins up on chainsaws. They were typically running at around 3% which is pretty low in Husky.
The US is a very large market segment with most of that in the garden segment.

At normal long range(600 or less) a -06 gets you more recoil and no better terminal performance. Even on elk.
I actually have a 375 H&H. I would never carry that heavy pig on an elk hunt.
Depends on the ammunition your using ballistics vary , I reload so my ballistics are consistent . As for recoil 30.06 has very little same with the .308 , but then I played hockey all my life so , some people are a little more sensitive . I have fired the 30-.378 Magnum and it has some push back however with the muzzle break not overly harsh , However the down range performance is impressive for a big bore caliber ! :blob2:

Back