jonsereds 49sp help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsereds49sp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi
I picked up a jonsereds 49sp and had it cleaned. It ran well for a little while but now it dies after only one cut. After it dies the fuel cap is extremely hard to open. Clearly it is building up pressure in the tank, there are no visible vents in the cap and I was wondering if someone knew how the tank was supposed to vent.
Thanks,

Aaron

I found the vent and cleaned it out and the pressure stopped building up. The saw has strong compression, good spark and is getting fuel. It started several times the other day but now wont even start. After trying to start it there was gas pouring out of the carb....

I've tried everything I know, the saw wont even try to run until I swear I'm done messing with it. Then I'll give it one last pull and it will fire, but not run. If anyone wants to make an offer for the saw I think I'm done. Thanks everyone for your help.

I've tried everything I know, the saw wont even try to run until I swear I'm done messing with it. Then I'll give it one last pull and it will fire, but not run. If anyone wants to make an offer for the saw I think I'm done. Thanks everyone for your help.

You have a carb problem if the vent made no difference. A $10 carb kit should get you back up and running. By some carb cleaner and clean it out good.

You have a carb problem if the vent made no difference. A $10 carb kit should get you back up and running. By some carb cleaner and clean it out good.

+1 It's a pretty sure bet that your saw does not have a significant problem. All saws eventually need fuel system work and yours is no exception. Those are great saws and deserve the attention. Check/replace your fuel line and filter, do a carb kit, and go cut some wood!

+1 If the thing is flooding, it's almost certainly a carb issue, and it's an easy rebuild.

Where in NY are you? I've got 5 of these things, so I'm quite familiar, if not down right intimate, with 49Sp's. :cheers:

49sp

You need to get a kit and when you pull the top cover off the carb pay close attention to the fuel inlet screen. It's a tiny little bugger about 1/4"in dia. It sits down in a little hole Sometimes those will pack full with filter fuzz and they don't run good that way!! So clean that out and follow the instructions with the kit and I bet you'll be on your way. I've been keeping one of going since 1977. Nice little saws. I like them. Good luck

any idea where I can get a kit? And spike60, I live in northern Columbia county

Last edited:
any idea where I can get a kit? And spike60, I live in northern Columbia county

Any shop can get you a kit. Just ask for a kit for a Tillotson HS carb. They were very common and used on practically everything at one point.

Columbia county, eh? Your just across the river and up a bit.

Thanks everyone for all your help, it will probably be at least a month before I get a chance to work on the saw again, but when I do I'll report back and let you know how it turned out. Thanks again.

I have the same saw with similar problem with mine. I'm wondering if its an ignition problem or just this part of NY ??

I have the same saw with similar problem with mine. I'm wondering if its an ignition problem or just this part of NY ??

If you clean/replace the tank vent and then rebuild the carb it should take care of the problems. If you do all of this and there is no improvement it could be a coil, but start with the small stuff first. You might just have a bad diaphragm.

49sp

I picked up a 49sp at a pawn shop a few weeks ago started OK but the oiler wasn't working in the proses of well, i busted the rewind spring so i have both to fix good luck

I picked up a 49sp at a pawn shop a few weeks ago started OK but the oiler wasn't working in the proses of well, i busted the rewind spring so i have both to fix good luck

Springs are easy to get from several sources; oil pump will be a tough one. Oil pumps don't usually fail on 49's, maybe a good cleaning will do it.

spike 60 I Know were to get a spring i need to order it it will be easier to check if it s running :) nice saw I hope I get it fixed soon it really sucks having AAD and CAD at the same time !!!!:greenchainsaw::chainsaw::greenchainsaw:

I will buy it!

If you really want to sell the saw, Please let me know, I am down in Southern Columbia and I have a couple of these already.
let me know...I got cash.

[email protected]

49sp oiler

I agree with spike those don't usually fail. The first thing to check is the oiler filter. To get to that remove the clutch cover and just below the bar & chain is a cylinder that sticks out about 1 inch and is 5/8" in dia. It is secured by three small allen head screws. Remove (be careful of the gasket) and clean the screen that you find there. Also remove the B&C and guide plates and make sure the lube hole in the bar is free of debris Also make sure the guide plates are installed correctly. A friend bought a used saw once and was whinning about the:censored:chain oiler not working. He wanted to call the seller and give him a ration. I said lets take a look first. We took trhe b&c off and the last person to have the b&c off had mistakenly swapped the guide plates and there was no way it was gonna oil. We put it back together correctly and it worked fine.

NEVER--=NEVER--Never overlook the obvious!!! is what we learned that time
(AGAIN)

If none of this works let us know and we'll start the "how much bar oil" discussion but at least someone will steer you to the adjuster and how it works. Then you can figure out how much oil you want use. This is just my own opinion but mine are all adjusted to use just a little less than one tank of chain oil to one tank of fuel. (I know I probably just crossed some polution theshold but I get many MBFT from my bars!!!!)
Hope some of this helps Good luck

I got a carb kit and rebuild it like you suggested... started first pull.:clap: Runs like a champ now. And sorry finnyct90, I wouldn't sell the saw for (almost) anything now

Latest posts

Back