Jonsereds 630 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickyrooster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hello everyone, I am new to this site and this is my first post. I was given a Jonsereds 630 super from a friend of mine because he could'nt get it to run. after checking out the saw i find that the piston and jug were scored and no longer usable. My question is will any of the husky jugs and pistons work on this saw, or am i stuck looking for jonsereds parts.:bang:

Tats a durn good question for which I tant got a clue. I know the two of them are of the same company but I doult jugs and pstons mix between the two. I'm gonna watch this post for thats a good question and someone should know. Welcome to the forum by da way..........

Do a search for "630" This has come up a couple of times before, I know I asked the same question at one point. ;)

Going by the answers I have seen before, the 266 and the 268 will fit and use the same carb setup. The 272 will also fit, but requires a 272 carb set up. As for the 61, there are different opinions on whether that will work or not.

The jug on mine cleaned up, and I was lucky to find a piston on Ebay :)

the 268 jug/piston assembly was available from a few aftermarket suppliers and will work with your carb mtg boot. It had 2mm more bore, but was more conservativelly ported so had a tiny bit less overall hp than the 630. On the plus side, it was a little less "peaky", and easier for the weekend warrior to handle in big wood. it will still cost around $200, but given that the basic core cost nothing its well worth the investment.

268 has considerably more HP than the 630...

You will see that the 268 has considerably more HP than the 630...
Model: 268XP
MANUFACTURED BY:HUSQVARNA VAPENFABRIKS AB HUSKVARNA, SWEDEN
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 67 cc (4.1 cu. in.)
CYLINDER BORE: 50 mm (1.97 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 34 mm (1.34 in.)
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 4.7 (3.5 kW)

Model: 630
MANUFACTURED BY:JONSEREDS FABRIKERS AB PARTILLE, SWEDEN
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT:61.5cc (3.75 cu. in.)
NUMBER OF CYLINDERS:1
CYLINDER BORE: 48mm (1.89 in.)
PISTON STROKE: 34mm (1.34 in.)
MANUFACTURER ADVERTISED H.P.: 3.1

Two comments Sierra;

(1) What you listed for the 268 are the 268xp specs.
The non-xp 268 has been rated at 3.2 kW, 4.4 hp by Husky.
The 268 is still a current model in large parts of the world, and probably the saw most aftermarket 268 pistons and cylinders are made for.

(2) The 3.1 hp for the 630, that is listed on CSCC, is a misprint. It should read 3.1 kW, which usually translates into 4.2 hp.
The saw in question, the 630 Super, is listed at 3.1 kW, 4.3 hp at CSCC.

The use of Husky 61 parts on the 630 Super will result in a loss in power.

Last edited:
Swapping these different pistons and cylinders is OK to try if you are using parts that you have lying around. But, if you are going to have to buy new parts, it's worth the effort to get the right ones. Especially a piston and cylinder kit, which might be $200. 630 parts are still available from Jonsered. How close your "local" dealer is might be another question.

Did a little more research on this one.

There are 3 630's that were sold. 630, 630II, and 630 super, which causes some confusion. Earlier models used a thin ring piston, which has been replaced by a thick ring piston. They are all essentially the same saw. They all take the same jug and piston; part # 503517502, which is the thick ring design. This logic pretty much applies to the 670's as well.

Depending on which price list I look at, it is either $205 or $170. This part # is also in the Husky database, but with a retail price of $257. (so it's worth finding a Jonsered dealer)

At $170, it is probably worth doing, especially if you can do it yourself. At $257??? Be sure to pressure test the saw for air leaks! We are seeing a lot of fuel line failures, so put a new one in as well. The 630's were great saws by the way. If it works out, you'll enjoy using it.

do a search for jonsered on ebay-someone has a bunch of 630 parts that are on auction for the next several days. Might be something there you could use.

spike60 said:
... There are 3 630's that were sold. 630, 630II, and 630 super, ...
There was a 630 Super II, probably the one that you refer to as 630II.
They tended to leave out the "Super" designation in IPLs etc, the same way Husky did with the "xp" designation.

I also think the different 670's were a bit more different than the 630's, at least the adverticed power ratings were.....

SawTroll said:
There was a 630 Super II, probably the one that you refer to as 630II.
They tended to leave out the "Super" designation in IPLs etc, the same way Husky did with the "xp" designation.

[I also think the different 670's were a bit more different than the 630's, at least the adverticed power ratings were.....]

Any differences are confined to carb and ignition variations. As with the 630's, the 670's have only one piston and cylinder assembly available. The part # is 503172904. Price is $175

It should fit on the 630 in question as the crankcase and crank/rod assemblies are the same for both models, along with the 625's.

The more you look, the more you common parts you find.

spike60 said:
Any differences are confined to carb and ignition variations. As with the 630's, the 670's have only one piston and cylinder assembly available. The part # is 503172904. Price is $175

It should fit on the 630 in question as the crankcase and crank/rod assemblies are the same for both models, along with the 625's.

The more you look, the more you common parts you find.
The 670 cyl fits on 630 case.

i would like to thank everyone with there help and information. this site has a bunch of stand up members who are more than willing to help someone gain more knowledge. thanks rick.!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back