Jotul F 3 CB Smokes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justconfused

Reaction score
:msp_confused: I just purchased a home that has a Jotul F 3 CB wood stove. Now I went online and read the instructions for starting it up, turn everything to the right.

First fire not a problem.

Second fire the stove starts to smoke from both top and bottom.

I just had my chimney cleaned and everything was fine

The wood I used was well seasoned wood, I put some newspaper around some kindling and my main log to start my fire. When I do that the stove will smoke from the top air control vent and bottom.

The door was shut completely

Question is what am I doing wrong?

What was the outside temperature when you built the fire? Sometimes in the early fall when temps are not real cold out I have a harder time getting a good draft. Never had smoke back up though.

I got a bird nest that needs to be removed from the bottom of my chimney before I start using the stove.Could be a similar blockage causing your problem.

Is it white smoke coming right from surface itself? If so it's the paint curing.

If not, add some pics of your installation and we'll help you. Jotul makes great stoves.

He said 1st fire ok...so did it go cold and now another 2nd fire or is it the second load? If it's the second load the draft should have been established...could be lack of make up air for combustion.

More intel is needed.

Went back re-read.....try small sticks to establish a draft 1st. Adding a bunch of paper that burns up without a draft will create a ton of smoke and no where to go but out leaks in the stove.

Last edited:
jotul smokes

Once in awhile when I open the door on my Jotul #8 I notice a down draft in the stack. I twist some news paper and light it and hold
up in the stack as far as I can reach and get the draft going up and not down. Some thing to do with heavy air or something. Hope
this will help you out. GOOD LUCK and happy burning.

When you say you wood is 'well seasoned' we interpret that to mean your wood has been cut/split & stacked for around 12 months.

Has you wood seasoned 12 months?

You are burning in an EPA stove - they are picky in that they want wood seasoned 12 months.

EPA stoves really, really like wood with less 20% moisture. Do you have a moisture meter to check the moisture content in your wood?

Shari

Latest posts

Back