Jotul F 602 catalytic converter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodlumn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2 year old Jotul 602 CB. This is my first stove with a catalytic converter.

The converter looks weird to me, sort of warped. Is this what it's supposed to look like? Is it installed wrong?

Also, there's lots of ash above it, like when I look down in from the top. What's the best way to clean that out?

Here's a pic, and thanks!

jotul_inside_zpscij0wiby.jpg

No Cat in that stove, it has secondary burn air tubes in the baffle. Looks warped, but probably not a problem. That baffle plate is easily replaces and will need replacing at some point.

I use a shop vac to clean the top of the baffle.

We just bought a 602 for my son's cabin. Very good stove!

How 'bout that. I might take out that baffle and attempt to reshape it then.

Thank you, Sunfish.

How 'bout that. I might take out that baffle and attempt to reshape it then.

Thank you, Sunfish.
The baffle is cast iron with the secondary burn thing being stainless sheet. If the cast is warped you can't straiten it, but if it's just the sheet metal, then yes.

It might just be knocked out of place, as in someone trying to stuff too much wood or too large a piece into it? Or it could have been over fired, run with the door cracked, etc.

That said, the baffle will eventually need replacing, the life expectancy is around 6-10 years.

Back