Jotul F3 CB (USA) burning too hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatesway

Reaction score
I've changed the gaskets in my F3 (door, glass & ash pan door) and still am having problems with it "running too hot". It seems there is an air leak somewhere. At idle, it burns around 500.

Is there a gasket around the air intake selector on the front upper right of the stove? It says it has one on the parts diagram, but my dealer has never sold one.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

“At idle “

So the stove is full of wood and the air control is where exactly when you are at about 500?

With a full stove and fire roaring can you close the air control fully and the flames will completely go away after a good 5-10 min?

For prospective my PE summit when FULL of wood and she hits her peak temp if i close the air control fully it will put the fire out and make it smolder eventually getting down to the 300’s.

When full I generally keep about 3/4 closed and it runs between 500 and low 600’s at the hottest.

I check stove top temps FYI

This is 3/4 closed and its right at 600 and will slowly go down to low 500’s in the next hour
803d54987f94fe36d8ac7bb203b5dc61.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Full stove and air control turned to idle. How much flame/fire do you have after a few (15-30) minutes? Could be the fact the stove is designed to maintain a certain minimum temp in stove to reduce emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 ain’t nothing. My stove temp gets up to 850, sometimes 900°. I’ve been doing it for about 10 years, and it’s at least 20 years old. It’s in great shape too. I would not worry about it at all. Modern stoves have secondary combustion that is often uncontrollable. Like someone already posted, it’s probably manufactured to burn a high temp to keep the emissions within spec.

Your Jotul has cast iron panels and likely it is leaking air where the panels are sealed to one another.

The stove is designed to be taken apart.

You could try stuffing bits of aluminum foil in places you can see where an air leak may be happening.

500 ain’t nothing. My stove temp gets up to 850, sometimes 900°. I’ve been doing it for about 10 years, and it’s at least 20 years old. It’s in great shape too. I would not worry about it at all. Modern stoves have secondary combustion that is often uncontrollable. Like someone already posted, it’s probably manufactured to burn a high temp to keep the emissions within spec.

I hear ya.

I get it up to 750-800 once a day to help break things loose

Another question is what is getting hot? Does the op think 500 is too hot for the stove, or is he getting cooked out if the house? We’ve determined that 500 might not be out of spec as far as what the stove can handle. But next time, put less wood in. It won’t get up to temp and cook you out of the house with only two splits in there.

Another question is what is getting hot? Does the op think 500 is too hot for the stove, or is he getting cooked out if the house? We’ve determined that 500 might not be out of spec as far as what the stove can handle. But next time, put less wood in. It won’t get up to temp and cook you out of the house with only two splits in there.

Iv learn (with my stove and preferences) that i CAN NOT make a good burning fire with 2 splits. Its just not hot enough for the stove. I need a minimum of 3 but i still dont like that.

Just sharing my experience.

I control my Jotul‘s minimum temp with wood volume. Less wood= lower temp. A full firebox of seasoned oak on a cold night with the air control all the way down = 700F at a minimum . Cold out and a warm fire = tremendous draft no matter where the air control is set.

Thank you all for your help and replies. Yes, 500 degrees is too much for our living room (500 sq ft), not the stove. @homemade If I put 3 splits in the stove and turn it all the way down, it goes to 700 or so in 1/2 hour. Runs us out of the room.

@Del_ Your point: "Your Jotul has cast-iron panels and likely it is leaking air where the panels are sealed to one another." I'd love to figure this out. The stove was new in 2004 and really not used much till we purchased the home in 2012. Used it well each winter (WNC winters are not too long).

@Jhenderson yes, I agree, we have started doing that very thing. Less wood while we are here.

Again, thank you all for your help! I did not see your replies...not sure how to turn on notification. I'll be watching closely for any further replies!

Back