Jred 2159 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineerDude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Three areas of question relating to my pure stock 2159. Saw used primarily for cutting firewood, non-commercial.

1. Saw's been laying on its side (bar side down) for 3-4 months. When I grabbed it today, it was laying in a pool of oil. Anyone know of problems of this kind w/Jred oiler? What's the fix?
  2. Saw has catalytic muffler. I understand that there's a non-cat available. Looking for an overall assessment of whether this is a good thing to do? I assume saw runs cooler, which would seem to be a good thing for reliability? More power? Any downside? Feedback from those who have done this?
  3. I see some threads in this group on modding the muffler. Assume this yields more power at the risk of more sound? Any risks other than sound? Reliability? Are there guys who specialize in this, or is it a D-I-Y project, or ...?

A lot of saws will leave a decent sized oil slick. I sometimes unscrew then retighten the oil plug, by releasing the vacuum it won't suck all the oil out of the saw.

A lot of saws will leave a decent sized oil slick.

Yeah, I'm not concerned with the typical oil slick that I've seen from my saws in the past. This was an exceptional amount of oil. Had to put a thick section of newspaper under it to stand it upright, as oil was coming out of the area where it had accumulated inside the clutch cover fast enough to yield another good-sized spot before it stopped dripping.

Maybe someone can point me toward a maintenance manual for this saw? Can't find one on Jonsered's website.

Last edited:
I put a non cat muffler on my 359 awhile back but I can't tell you if it runs any better or not. I bought a 372xp and haven't ran the 359 since.

Most people that put the non cats on their saws say that they run better and cooler. The only thing that you'll need to do is reset your carb.

Look for info on the 359....

The Husqvarna 359 and Jonsered 2159 are essentially the same saws. There is a link to the Husqvarna shop manuals on the "reference links"thread. I believe SawTroll posted a link to the workshop manuals on the second page of that thread.

FWIW, I replaced the catalytic muffler with the non catalytic version and the saw runs much cooler. Baileys sells them for approx $35 part#5039175-. If you change the muffler or modify it will void the warranty. If you change/modify muffler you'll have to richen the H Jet on the carb.

... link to the Husqvarna shop manuals on the "reference links"thread. I believe SawTroll posted ...

Thx for the good directions. The manual should prove very helpful.

... replaced the catalytic muffler ... saw runs much cooler ... Baileys sells them ... void the warranty ... have to richen the H Jet on the carb.

And thx for this info too.

Any additional voices of experience out there, relative either to replacing the muffler or modding it?

Also, anybody have any real data relating to operation with either/both of these changes? Anyone tested power output or operational temp? Intuitively these changes increase power and make the saw run cooler, but before going down this road it would be nice to know it's not just an urban myth.

Back