Jred 625 II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouachita

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the price might be on new or used P/C for a 625. I got one free the other day and I cant find anything for this saw on the internet. Cylinder might be fixed but the piston has a hole in the top. There was a littel piece of metal in there. Guy said he put in a new plugg heard a loud noise and it seazed up. you aint kiding it drove a littel piece of metal right through the top of the piston. other than that it looks like a real clean saw. would fix it if i could.

Wouldn't the 630 or 670 head fit on this saw too, or will you need to switch out the carb?

I thought you could do the 670, but there are some other changes needed. 630 is closed port and 625/670 is open, so carb and intake need to change if you change the 630. I would be more sure if I had done it, but Spike can correct my errors. I would like to do this if I can ever find a cheap 670 top end(highly unlikely).

I feel pretty good about the 625 top end I picked up. NOS for $90 shipped. Just wish it was a 670.

I thought you could do the 670, but there are some other changes needed. 630 is closed port and 625/670 is open, so carb and intake need to change if you change the 630. I would be more sure if I had done it, but Spike can correct my errors. I would like to do this if I can ever find a cheap 670 top end(highly unlikely).

I feel pretty good about the 625 top end I picked up. NOS for $90 shipped. Just wish it was a 670.

The ipl shows different carbs and intakes between the 670 and 625. Also there is a heat shield between the muffler and cylinder on the 670.

mine dosen't have the heat sheild PB. i dug out my ipl from 87-05 and it dosen't show a heat sheild either. what ipl do you have? and can u send me a copy?

Even better, you can install a 272 husky piston and cylinder but you must use the intake and carb also from this model for this conversion. I've done a few now and they are real sleepers now that a 625 is 72cc's!!!

Wouldn't the 630 or 670 head fit on this saw too, or will you need to switch out the carb?

The issue here is that the 670 uses a separate impulse line, while the 630 impulse is done through the intake block. And I gotta confess I'm not sure which way it's done on the 625. There were a lot more variations with this family of saws than on the 2163/2165/2171 where you can interchange the cylinders without having to change anything else.

The issue here is that the 670 uses a separate impulse line, while the 630 impulse is done through the intake block. And I gotta confess I'm not sure which way it's done on the 625. There were a lot more variations with this family of saws than on the 2163/2165/2171 where you can interchange the cylinders without having to change anything else.

My 625 uses the impulse line. But.......I keep thinking there was something else that needed to be done for this to work. You can't just switch top ends. But, I can't remember what it is......intake block?? air filter adapter?? If I had a nickel for every time I forgot something like this, I could stimulate the whole, dang US economy!:chainsaw:

I keep thinking there was something else that needed to be done for this to work. You can't just switch top ends. But, I can't remember what it is......intake block?? air filter adapter??

Both of those parts are different in the IPL, but they are not expensive items. A different carb is also shown, but I don't think that would really be a necessary change. Sometimes things are not the same, but they can be made to work.

I think the only conclusive answers here are going to have to come from someone who has done this, or has both saws and can pull the carb/intake off and compare them.

Taplinhill is the guy we need to jump in here..................Where are you?

Hey Spike, where was I? Down celler looking at 670's and 625's. Here is the report of my fact finding mission. The intake boot looks the same. The plastic retainer around the boot is different, but I think you could used either. The 625 bolts on both sides of the intake and has a holder for the impulse line, while the 670 only bolts on one side and has no holder for the impulse line. The carbs look the same, but have different numbers. The filter base on the 625 bolts the the case, while the 670 has a short piece of hose and a stub on the case. So, I think you can swap out a 625 for a 670, without doing anything else.

If you throw a 670 intake on the 625, will there be any increase in performance with the larger venturi?
Both rubber flanges intake are the same,so same dia.I cant say for sure for the plastic holder diameter, if it was smaller on 625.So performance will be increased if you install the larger 670 carb with either flange.
And if the plastic holder is smaller on 625,you can probably dremel,grind it to the 670 size.

Both rubber flanges intake are the same,so same dia.I cant say for sure for the plastic holder diameter, if it was smaller on 625.So performance will be increased if you install the larger 670 carb with either flange.
And if the plastic holder is smaller on 625,you can probably dremel,grind it to the 670 size.

I think I have a 670 carb and flange somewhere..........That is something I can do. Right now, I need easy.

Latest posts

Back