Jred 630 -->670

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of errors in this thread, which is no surprise when sorting out this family, which might have to be considered "dysfunctional" as far as interchangeability goes.

If shared cylinders are the point of reference, then there are no shared models between Jonsered and Husky. None of the Jonsered cylinders were used on Huskys, and vice versa. The only instance of a shared cylinder is between the Husky 66 and the non-XP 268. So for instance, there was no direct Husky counterpart to the 630.

That being said, they do pretty much share a common crankcase, so there is a fair amount of adaptability, but there are usually some other changes that need to be made. As an example, a buddy and I recently mounted a 266XP cylinder on a 630. The one difference encountered was that those two saws use different cylinder bolts, the 630 being larger. So, the holes in the 266 cylinder had to be enlarged slightly.

There are also some annoying differences between the same models. I have 2 630's, one early and one late. The early one has the twin coil set up and the newer one has the single coil. The newer saw uses a larger muffler, and although it will bolt up to either cylinder, the top cover from the older saw doesn't have enough clearence and will rest on the muffler. And you can't use the new cover on the older saw, because the front bolt hole is about an inch apart on the early vs. late saws.

And on and on it goes. Taplinhill will no doubt jump in with some more variations. :cheers:

Last edited:
that being said , will a 272 cyl. bolt up to my 61 ?

It probably will, but you will need to make some of the intake changes that other members have posted. Also, if it is an early 61, you will wind up with the same muffler issue as I did noted on the 630's.

Another variation is that some of the carbs have the idle screw mounted at the case, while others have the idle adjustment on the carb itself. The throttle links from the trigger assembly to the carb can also be different, as the different intake systems seem to position the carbs in slightly different locations. I have an incorrect carb/link combo on my 266SE. It works, but the fast idle ends up being too high when starting. It's closer to full speed than a normal fast idle. You can no longer order the correct carb for a 266. I got one that works, and the saw rips, but it's not correct.

There are a lot of errors in this thread, which is no surprise when sorting out this family, which might have to be considered "dysfunctional" as far as interchangeability goes. ...

:agree2::yourock:

The more I know, the more I see that I still don't know.......:censored:

:agree2::yourock:

The more I know, the more I see that I still don't know.......:censored:

My good friend, by no means do I have this all sorted out. LOL. I only posted info that I am aware of, and I know there are other things I have yet to learn.

The way they named these saws only adds to the general confusion. One thing that I am confident of is that the change from "SE" to "XP" on the Husky side was just due to their adoption of the XP designation for all of their pro saws which continues to this day. Jonsered's use of "Super", may be similar to Husky's "XP", but it seems eratic to me. (But isn't "Super" a lot better than "Unticor"?) Both of my 630's are "supers", but the newer one is a "Super II". I am not sure there is such a thing as a non-super 630. I know the acres site lists both, but the chronology is missing as there are no dates for the supers. Same thing for the 670's, (and the 900's). And is there a difference between the 670 super and champ besides the gold decal? I don't know. The best way to research these saws is to go through the IPL's, as well as the service bulletins, and try to chronical the changes as they took place. The saws themselves can be misleading unless you are completely sure that no changes have been made to them. A saw that's over 20 years old might have aquired some different parts over the years to keep it going.

There are a lot of carb numbers associated with this family of saws, but it is hard to determine what changes in part numbers correspond with what changes in nomenclature. And they are just about all superceded numbers meaning you automatically get the newest part when you order any of them.

You almost need to be a freaking archeologist to figure these saws out. Looking at my 2 630's that I mentioned earlier, I would make the following conclusion: this family of saws had a long run, with lots of variations, but there is somewhat of a dividing line that can be drawn between early and late versions of both the Jonnys and Huskys. The primary changes that I mentioned about the 630's can also be found going from the 266 to the 268; twin to single coil, larger muffler and taller top cover. But the Husky also had a cylinder change, along with the different intake that some guys have mentioned. At least in Husky's case, there is a different model number to denote the changes. In fact, there is a Husky service bulletin that lists a page or more of what was changed from the 266 to the 268. (I'm not going to try and get that tonight on dial up)

We just have to get more of these saw and keep experimenting! :cheers:

Spike has some great stuff there.. I inherited a bunch of parts saws from that family and I have been trying to mix and match ever since with mixed success. I have basically come to the conclusion that updating an early saw (like a 162 or an early 266) with later parts can have a confusing outcome.

I upgraded a 162 to a 266 top end and ended up with Spikes "now I can't set the idle screw?" issue. I set this saw's idle with just the mixture screw. I also can't fully bolt down the top cover as the 162 had a threaded stud on the head that the 266 doesn't have. The bungee cord does add a splash of color. All that said, this little Frankensaw blows me away. Instant throttle response and terrific power. It's a beast!

The easiest way to fully upgrade a dated top end seems to be to get a full 272 setup (unless you're updating from a 268, then you just need to swap in a head and piston) with the carb, intake, muffler, and a top cover. Yes, it's a big deal, but you avoid all the pitfalls. There does seem to be an exception. the 272 was built in two versions, the low filter and high filter setup. early cases of this family (162, 61, and maybe more) do NOT have the bolt holes to accommodate the high filter setup. If you have one of these cases, you'll need the low filter setup or you'll have to tap some holes (yikes!).

Heck, all the above just relates to the Husky variations.. when you throw the Jonsered variations in, I give up.

Back