Just a comment on the new gas cans...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to say I was not happy when I had to replace the old tried and true cans and went to the new style. But I really like the new style after getting used to it.

(And I know what your thinking.... There was no flippy cap on it you smartazzes.)

attachment.php

I've yet to try the new ones. They look kinda cheap to me, not that the old ones werent. Why try to reinvent the wheel though if you ask me. I had no prob with the old ones.

Yep...The new cheapo gas cans are cheap...and take some getting used to (you gotta remember to push that little lever when you want to dispense the gas).
It does seem to be minor improvement over the other cheapo type that you have to flip the spout out of the inside, put aside the cover cap (and try not to lose it), git gas all over your hands, press the nose of the spout into the fuel fill of the tank you are filling (while it bends and stops), it gets stuck and dumps gas all over your tank, engine, boots, etc. :mad:

I guess I gotta try a Nospill brand...are they really any better barnyardman?

Bounty Hunter

I have not tried the new ones but I'm so used to the old style that I kind of dread changing over. Guess I will have to in the future.

these new cans a joke. They let like one drop of gas at a time pass through. bought one once and threw it out after about ten minutes of trying to fill anything with it

Glad you are conforming to them, I despise them, if they in the afternoon they look like they are about to explode so you let off some of the pressure, then the next morning they look like a crumpled newspaper.
fact is those fumes are going to be released the moment you open it anyhow, giving a nice concentrated explosive bubble of fumes, creating a larger danger.

What the heck is wrong with simplicity and WTH are they thinking about creating this bomb in the back of my truck.

Too much BS, Gas evaporates and I really don't think the filling fumes are the biggest problem we have in the world today.

Reminds me of how I probably single handedly negated California's no fume gas pump policy. we were driving across the desert in a rental, and wanted to fill up to the top, so this pump had a huge rubber gasket on it and did not allow the air in the tank to be displaces by the liquid fuel. It just compressed the air in the tank, so when I removed the nozzle like two gallons shot out of the tank on me the ground and evaporated into the air.
costing me around 6 bucks and placing the equivalent of thousands of fill ups worth of fumes into the environment at one time.

some modren safety equipment is just insane.

Roots, you got a better seal out of that rubber thing than I thought was possible.

Everytime I've used a pump with them I could still see the vapor escaping and always wondered what they were really doing to help anything.

Mr. HE:cool:

Oh, another vote for Nospill. Good product, works like a charm. Pricey, but worth it.

Roots, you got a better seal out of that rubber thing than I thought was possible.

Everytime I've used a pump with them I could still see the vapor escaping and always wondered what they were really doing to help anything.

well the damn thing would not pump unless you held it in tight. It was my first time using one I learned a lesson.
I love Ca especially north of Eurika but there are definitely some nutty environmental laws mixed in with a few good ones

well the damn thing would not pump unless you held it in tight. It was my first time using one I learned a lesson.
I love Ca especially north of Eurika but there are definitely some nutty environmental laws mixed in with a few good ones

They are making them trickier and trickier to use all the time. Seems to be a misguided idea that they can make anything 'clean'. Making bums take a bath would probably improve air quality in SoCal.

Hit a nerve on this topic. I've got about 8 different styles of cans. Mostly 5 gals. None are worth a darn. The "can" (plastic) is ok. It's the spouts that are crap!!! :angry: Most have different thread sizes and replacement spouts are junk.
Sounds like "no-spill" cans might be a possibility. I'll have to go find some.

I have to say I was not happy when I had to replace the old tried and true cans and went to the new style. But I really like the new style after getting used to it.

(And I know what your thinking.... There was no flippy cap on it you smartazzes.)

attachment.php

WOW I have that can, saw, and splitter, you have good taste my friend.:)

I remove the little latch on my spout, and it made the can much easier to use. They do suck when the temp changes, they puff up and shrink pretty bad.

i have that can and i love it. it doesn't spill and i don't over fill the saw when it gets full just let off the nozzle and the gas stops simple enough for me. i do agree on the temp change though!

WOW I have that can, saw, and splitter, you have good taste my friend.:)

That's probably not a coincidence after listening to you guys rave about those saws and equipment I just can't help but try 'em out for myself! So far, so good!

One thing I didn't think about these new style cans that some mentioned is the slower pour rate. It's perfect for my small saw gas cans but when I need to fill the quad or a tractor with that slow pour from a larger can that will be a pain!

Net-Knight, where'd you score that nice looking set-up? Looks pricey though!

Back