Just a little reminder to be safe!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPE

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just want to take a moment to remind everyone to be safe out there. I made a stupid mistake yesterday while clearing some storm damage & will have a 6" scar to remind me of it forever.....but it could've been much worse.

Mistake #1....I was cutting alone. My wife had flown to Texas to take care of her dad and my parents (closest relatives and my regular cutting partner) were in Maine for vacation. With my primary contacts in opposite ends of the country, I had no one close to hang with all week. I resisted the urge to cut all week knowing how stupid it would be to do it alone so I spent a whole lot of time splitting some by hand from the pile I already had cut (is there anything more fun than splitting ash by hand?). But then the remnants of Ike rolled threw and knocked down several trees and knocked out the power. Now, with no TV, computer, etc for 24 hours and with my regular conversationalists gone, I got bored and decided to go cut for a little while.

I've been cutting firewood for 20 years and until last winter we've relied on wood as our primary source of heat each and every winter, so I've logged hundreds of hours behind a saw. I'm always careful in how I approach a given situation, particularly in blow-downs, and I always wear steel toed boots, saw chaps, helmet, face shield, gloves, etc. People give me a hard time for wearing "all that stuff" but I know that if you repeat any action enough times you're bound to make a mistake so I prefer to be cautious.

Mistake #2.....I ALWAYS start cutting up a tree from the small end and work down. But in this case, that end of the tree was in the neighbors yard on the opposite side of an old fence. I only had about 30 minutes to cut before having to go off to the airport to pick up my wife. I didn't want to go over & bother the neighbor because I knew he'd feel obligated to drop whatever he was doing and come out to help. Knowing that I wouldn't be there that long, I decided I'd just cut what I could get to from my side of the fence.

All was going well for about 10 minutes until I got to a small limb that was under a little tension. Approaching from the small end could have eliminated this tension, but for whatever reason, knowing full well that it wasn't a good idea (I mean really, who does this?!), I started to make small cuts on my end. As soon as I finished the cut, the limb rolled toward me and drove the saw right back into my left upper arm.

It really didn't hurt. Felt a little like I had been punched in the arm. I knew it was the saw that hit me, but I figured that since it didn't hurt then maybe the chain hadn't been spinning and maybe I just had a little scrape or maybe some small puncture wounds from the teeth. Then I looked down & noticed that my shirt was shredded. Not good. I lifted my sleeve and then saw how bad it really was. It wasn't bleeding much and didn't hurt so I called a friend to drive me to the hospital.

Fortunately, I missed any critical components. The chain brake caught before I got any deeper than 1/2" to 3/4" or so. I still have full use of the arm and still have no pain. I did get 18 stitches and will have a 5 or 6" scar to always remind me how quickly a momentary lapse of judgement can turn ugly. It could have ended very differently, but since it didn't, I'll not dwell on the what-if's and will treat it as a lesson learned.

I've always read stories like this and thought I knew better than the "idiot" from the story. But hopefully all of you who read this will take something from this idiots story & slow down & take a moment to think before cutting the next time. Be careful out there!!

Last edited:
You are lucky it was just a few stitches. Consider it a good lesson.

Scars are like tatoos with better stories behind them. :cheers:

I had something like that happen about 5 years ago. I was helping a friend cut wood and was using his saw.. well the chain on his saw didn't stop turning at an idle. I tripped over some brush and the chain hit my knee. And like you said, it never hurt. I didn't even look down right away. I didn't notice after a few seconds that my pant leg was torn wide open and was getting bloody. Luckily all it did was cut the skin open, not any deeper. Ended up with 13 stitches and a dandy of a scar. It sure doesn't take long to get hurt!! :dizzy: Be safe.

glad you're Ok. sounds like it could have been worse.

i imagine that with the increase of wood burning across the nation, we're going to be seeing alot more accidents with chainsaws. if even the most experienced sometimes get hurt, imagine what the noobs will be doing.

i was taking down a huge maple tree in the front yard last year. i was doing it alone and planning everything before i cut. i had the tree 90% down without any problems, and come the weekend i finally had some help. i made the mistake of placing myself lower than the limb i was cutting and i didn't bother to reduce it's size before dropping it. i was still up in the tree.

i cut it, the limb fell, but the branches made it bounce back towards me. that 12" limb hit me in the left leg and it felt like an elephant just kicked me!

i guess i work safer alone.....lol

Wow, glad you're ok. From the text of your post, it's abvious that you know what you are doing. That said, I guess it still doesn't matter if one doesn't use that knowledge? Like yourself, I too have been cutting firewood for years. I always try too go with my nieghbor and firewooding partner but many times I end up going alone. It's not a good practice but sometimes unavoidable. Thanks for posting and I hope you heal up fast.:cheers:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. The cut seems to be healing up nicely. The most painful part is the medical tape sticking to my arm hair. :censored:

i imagine that with the increase of wood burning across the nation, we're going to be seeing alot more accidents with chainsaws. if even the most experienced sometimes get hurt, imagine what the noobs will be doing.

On the ride to the hospital we passed countless people out clearing the downed trees in their yards. Every single one of them were wearing shorts & t-shirts. One guy was even wearing Crocs!

I got to the hospital at noon & every doctor or nurse I ran into all told me that I was the first chainsaw accident of the day and that they had expected to see quite a few with all of the storm damage. I told them from what I had seen on the ride in, I wouldn't be their last chainsaw patient of the day.

That said, I guess it still doesn't matter if one doesn't use that knowledge?

Exactly. The single most important piece of safety equipment resides between the ears. Apparently I left mine someplace else that day.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. The cut seems to be healing up nicely. The most painful part is the medical tape sticking to my arm hair. :censored:

I'm glad to hear that it's not real bad but I'm sure it's bad enough. Does that make sense?

Have you tried shaving the arm hair where the tape sticks to it?

Glad to hear you're doing OK and really glad the saw didn't hit one of the many areas in the upper body that could have killed you. Best of luck on your way to a full recovery.

Have you tried shaving the arm hair where the tape sticks to it?

I was using some kind of tape that only sticks to itself but ran out of that last night so I had to resort back to the old stuff. I'll either be shaving or buying another roll of the good stuff this evening. All in all though, I'm lucky to only have to suffer a few plucked hairs.

Just wanted to bump this up one time for the weekend. I've been talking a lot about this incident all week, hoping that others can learn something from my mistake. Here are a couple of the comments I've gotten:

"I'm smart enough to not ever put myself in a situation where I can get hurt while cutting." - I certainly hope he is, but he may have to pay for his arrogance some day.

My favorite comment came after I told a guy I had been using my 026 Pro with an 18" bar. His response was "I use a much smaller saw with a 14" bar so I'll be able to control it if it ever tries to kick back.":dizzy: Good luck to him.

The weather is absolutely perfect for cutting today & it's killing me to sit here on the sidelines. Temps in the low 70's with overcast skies. Stitches come out in a couple weeks though so I'll be back at it soon enough.

I can't wrap my mind around some people's stupidity, joking or sarcasm is all fun, but here you (experienced cutter) legitimately get hurt, explain it to people and they tell you how they do it to not get hurt. Huh, maybe they didn't listen. That sucks too, you have a good currently applicable cause, being all the cuttin around you and you are layed up, and people don't genuinely listen. Such is life, glad you made er' out alive and teach others nomatter how ignorant they are.

but the good thing is that you live to cut another day instead of having dirt thrown in your face....that's one way to look at it

Back