Cool Little Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is more or less a "help me spend my money on things I don't really need" sort of thread. So here we go...

I spent some time this past weekend with my Husqvarna 238se cutting up 0-16" diameter storm damaged sugar maple. The little 238se is probably my favorite saw of all I've ever owned or run. I've also enjoyed the rest of that family (242, 42, 246) and the earlier model 44, and I use the heck out of my 543xp. I also had a Shindaiwa 360/377 hybrid I got off a member here many years ago, and then foolishly sold. Had a few 020avp for a while, too, along with a bunch of the horizontal cylinder CS-3xx and 3xxx Echos. And way back when I had a little Homelite Super EZ Auto that I remember punched above its weight by a good margin.

Given fun I had with the 238se, it got me thinking: what other little saws (under 50cc, preferably 45cc or less) have you found particularly satisfying and are something that would be worth me hunting down? I'd prefer chainbrake saws, but would entertain non-chainbrake saws, though I'd probably get less real use out of them.
I have ten of the super EZ automatics two blue, two red, and six white side cover models! They are a blast to run being so small with so much snort under the hood. 😋

This is more or less a "help me spend my money on things I don't really need" sort of thread. So here we go...

I spent some time this past weekend with my Husqvarna 238se cutting up 0-16" diameter storm damaged sugar maple. The little 238se is probably my favorite saw of all I've ever owned or run. I've also enjoyed the rest of that family (242, 42, 246) and the earlier model 44, and I use the heck out of my 543xp. I also had a Shindaiwa 360/377 hybrid I got off a member here many years ago, and then foolishly sold. Had a few 020avp for a while, too, along with a bunch of the horizontal cylinder CS-3xx and 3xxx Echos. And way back when I had a little Homelite Super EZ Auto that I remember punched above its weight by a good margin.

Given fun I had with the 238se, it got me thinking: what other little saws (under 50cc, preferably 45cc or less) have you found particularly satisfying and are something that would be worth me hunting down? I'd prefer chainbrake saws, but would entertain non-chainbrake saws, though I'd probably get less real use out of them.
That is not quite the smallest saw to be useful. We bought a Kobalt battery saw with an 8" bar. It is held in one hand. It is really useful for cutting wild grapevines for timber stand improvement. It can also cut small branches. And we don't need hearing protection to use it!

I'm still a big fan of my EA4300, 15'' 0.325'' chain and its great for camping/firewood stuff.

Cool little saws?

View attachment 1158713

Bloody amazing little things. I wish they were made in rear handles.
I forgot about the 25cc zenoah 2500 clone top handles. 6.5lbs pho.

I had one in Joncutter G2500. $30 and shipping right now.
Most time $100 under total bought anywhere online.

He prob dont use top handles on ground like I do with my 200T clone G111 35cc though. 8lb range.

jc2500x (2).jpgg111ta.jpgg111xx.jpeg

I love the zenoah 40cc saws - Redmax GZ 400/4000 and the multitude of clones sold by everyone from Craftsman to Ryobi. 9 lb powerhead, very strong and responsive. Made in Japan versions are considered higher quality than later chinese models.
There were official licensed repos of the gz4000 from ryobi, craftsman and mcculloch. All would be pre 2007 models. Biggest difference from a gz4000 were the plastics were made in China, they still all had Japanese built engines except for the later Mac and craftsman versions. Earthquake and a few other brands were chains cylinders like the gz400. All great little saws, love my gz4000 and ryobi 10532 copies.
I had a Zenoah redmax 3800 OEM and in clone. Thats about as small as I would want to go. If recall right 38cc pre epa one. Before the later 400 4000 ones.

For the little weight difference I still grab the echo 50cc.

View attachment 1158367View attachment 1158368
View attachment 1158369
A gz3800 is a turd vs a gz4000. The new clone copies don't come close in the power department. Played with enough of them to keep going back to the gz4000.

There were official licensed repos of the gz4000 from ryobi, craftsman and mcculloch. All would be pre 2007 models. Biggest difference from a gz4000 were the plastics were made in China, they still all had Japanese built engines except for the later Mac and craftsman versions. Earthquake and a few other brands were chains cylinders like the gz400. All great little saws, love my gz4000 and ryobi 10532 copies.

A gz3800 is a turd vs a gz4000. The new clone copies don't come close in the power department. Played with enough of them to keep going back to the gz4000.
Ported 3800's always beat the ported 4000 400 etc at gtg's. I attended. Know this first hand. Dont care about turds stock form. :laughing:
Thats easily fixed. :cheers:

I guess my main gripe was with z-4000 was it was a EPA strato built saw. Weighed just little bit more then the z-3800 it replaced.

Just not into newer epa strato saws myself.

Just like I despise the strato poulan compared to the pre epa normal poulan saws in same cc size.

z3800pc.jpgz4000pc.jpg

I agree with redneck in many ways about the strato aspect of the Gz 4000 they can certainly be temperamental and difficult to get running right because of air leaks around all the Strato equipment and tuning issues but when you get them running right, they run like a Scalded cat, and a really light and a joy to use

The only issue I ever had with the stratto leaking air was the secondary air shaft, I have plenty laying around from buying them up over the years to keep me going. I had seen a guy make bushings and a plug and a seal, but if/when I run out, it's a simple enough part to scan into the computer and print some out on the 3d printer. I've had more issues with the 4350/543xp clones getting the intake to seal up. Even with a zenoah/husqy cylinder I had to plate the intake on the last one I did. Just a crappy bolt design imo, just 2 more boots at the top of the stratto port would have solved the intake leak issue. Still can't get it to run as good as my gz4000. Not sure why as it's pretty close in design and timing numbers arnt far off.

The linkage that activates the strato intakes can alsi become misaligned so that it doesn't open fully and as soon as it should. That plus the increased number and complexity of intakes that have to align correctly and seal increases the odds of problems.
Of course, I'm sure you have a pat answer why younever have an issue with that either.

Back