Just another below zero morning on Ohio,,,,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Brrrr, Quite the string of cold weather, one good thing is on the rare day it gets to 30 it sure feels warm out, LOL. Wood pile is going down too fast. Every evening I look at the pile then walk in the shop and look at the calender,, is it going to last,,,, nope,,,, :(

I know the feeling Butch. It has been a while since we've had temps like this. My woodpile is gone!! I picked a good year to start burning wood again and try to get a feel for how much wood I would need in the future.

Makes all that cuttin and splittein and sweatin seem like a GOOD investment now!!!!, fuel oil and propane really expensive and I REALLY like watchin the bulk trucks go past my drive, havent burnt a drop since 2010!!!!

-16 this morning. It's been a brutal winter for wood burning for sure. But it is nice to see that fuel truck go right by. I swear I saw the driver look over and shake his head. Too bad buddy, go make money off someone else! All that work was worth it for sure. Like I said in the thread I started- There's no such thing as too much wood.

Couldn't imagine my little insert trying to keep up in your guys neck of the woods. Its been way below average here though and my two year supply will be close to gone by spring. Worst part is that I dropped enough wood to do at least another two years last month and now with the crazy temperature swings and 2 inches of rain every week I cant get to it b/c the grounds so rotten.

Weatherman last night said to expect the cold snap to last til around mid February. Sometime after Valentines day he was expecting warmer weather to creep in. That's nice, but we still have March and some of April to go.

Seen some big snowstorms in March and April, and with this winter I wouldn't be surprised to see them again.

Had lows below zero this week, and like everyone else I'm sure going thru the wood this winter. Really glad i put up an extra couple cords this year, almost sold them.

I got my first bare spot of the year yesterday when a guy brought his big farm tractor and plowed a path through my yard to the wood pile. Of course it only lasted for an hour or so and the wind began its relentless claim again.

Don't mind dealing with the cold to much, but when all 3 weather sources are more than 15* wrong and you didn't run hot enough over night. Makes one a little grumpy.

Got to use the old Ashley insert with this below 0 temps. It gets real cozzy with both going have to open attic door if I donot keep it throttled down. The Drolet in the basement can handle it down to 5 degrees.

Attachments

• 100_4178.jpg
    100_4178.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_4180.jpg
    100_4180.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 16
I'm in north central ohio and its really been a cold winter. I'm laid off from excavating and hunting season is pretty much over so I've been cutting and selling a few loads.Keeps me off the couch.

Duck what county you in? I am in Seneca near Green Springs.

Back