"just barely got serviced"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know what to make of that. the seller only has 6 feedback, most from sellers.
Seems kinda strange to me.

I think he is saying that it was hardly used.

It's slang.
He could have said, "Just barely got it out of the shop" which wouldn't necissarily mean that he had to out run the shop owner.
I suppose the proper wording would have been "There has only been a short period of time elapsed since this saw has recieved service".
Much shorter to say "Barely serviced". :blob2:

redprospector said:
It's slang.
He could have said, "Just barely got it out of the shop" which wouldn't necissarily mean that he had to out run the shop owner.
I suppose the proper wording would have been "There has only been a short period of time elapsed since this saw has recieved service".
Much shorter to say "Barely serviced". :blob2:
Or, "recently serviced." :rolleyes:

ray benson said:
So it's a western usa euphemism. That's why we didn't get it.

Ok, I'll bite.
No Ray, you didn't get it because you applied no common sense when you read it, assuming that everyone has an eloquence with the English language that you do.

What was done at that service? That's what the ask seller a question button is for.

And Ebay is no longer the place to get a bargain on a saw. :blob2:

redprospector said:
Ok, I'll bite.
No Ray, you didn't get it because you applied no common sense when you read it, assuming that everyone has an eloquence with the English language that you do.

What was done at that service? That's what the ask seller a question button is for.

And Ebay is no longer the place to get a bargain on a saw. :blob2:
definition of "barely"

Main Entry: bare·ly
Function: adverb
1 : in a meager manner : PLAINLY <a barely furnished room>
2 : SCARCELY, HARDLY <barely enough money for lunch>

Hmm, taken denotatively, the add states the saw was barely or scarcely serviced, which is opposite the inferred connotative meaning. At any rate, the advertiser is utilizing improper usage in a standard context that necessitates a standard word. While the colloquialism may invoke the intended meaning to a limited audience, paying for a world-wide audience renders such a narrow focus to be less than logical, and, in fact, may likewise limit his potential buyers as they: 1) have a laugh at his perceived wording botchery 2) scratch their heads trying to figure out what in Hades he’s meaning 3) pass on to the next buyer who is better able to communicate. Although common sense may lead us to infer what the advertiser’s meaning was, it certainly doesn’t necessitate our arrival at such meaning, and it most definitely gives us a target for a good chuckle. :)

Latest posts

Back