Just bought a 2004 Morbark Cyclone....want to keep it running well.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeandLand

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I have my first chipper...a 2004 Morbark Cyclone. It has a 12" by 8" infeed, but doesn't like logs over 6" very much.
I don't know this machine's maintenance history. The hour meter was replaced 2 years ago, and now it reads 250 hours. I'm planning to change the engine oil and filter, and hydrolic fluid filter, and put in sharpened knifes when it needs it.
My question is....should I have it "serviced" at a dealership to make sure there are no unseen problems, or just run it this season and hope for the best? It runs fine right now.

So I have my first chipper...a 2004 Morbark Cyclone. It has a 12" by 8" infeed, but doesn't like logs over 6" very much.
I don't know this machine's maintenance history. The hour meter was replaced 2 years ago, and now it reads 250 hours. I'm planning to change the engine oil and filter, and hydrolic fluid filter, and put in sharpened knifes when it needs it.
My question is....should I have it "serviced" at a dealership to make sure there are no unseen problems, or just run it this season and hope for the best? It runs fine right now.

you bought it without checking it? did they have a maint. history on the machine? Morbark is good equipment..........I would think the cutting anvil needs adjusted(flipped) & same with blades!

atleast change the filters!!!

LXT..........

Congrats on the new purchase....

If you change fluids, grease, check knifes and anvil clearance that would be a good start. If everything else is adjusted correct, belt tension, hydro pressures and all you should be good.

If you are mechanicly inclined I would do as much on your own as possible, that way if the machine starts to act up you will know it and be able to take care of it on site if needed rather than haul it to the shop.

I always love getting new equipment, but hate the "honeymoon" stage, where I have to learn all the ins and outs of it, but in the end it is better to know the equipment b/c most of the time when something goes down it is a simple fix.

Congrats on the new purchase....

If you change fluids, grease, check knifes and anvil clearance that would be a good start. If everything else is adjusted correct, belt tension, hydro pressures and all you should be good.

If you are mechanicly inclined I would do as much on your own as possible, that way if the machine starts to act up you will know it and be able to take care of it on site if needed rather than haul it to the shop.

I always love getting new equipment, but hate the "honeymoon" stage, where I
have to learn all the ins and outs of it, but in the end it is better to know the equipment b/c most of the time when something goes down it is a simple fix.

Thanks for the advice. So far I have greased all the grease points, ordered the user manual and parts manual from Morbark, checked the knifes...they are sharp still. I will have to learn how to check the knife to anvil clearance.....which i think requires disconnecting the big springs on the feedwheel and jacking it up to see underneath it.
The chips it makes are either two inches long, or long and stringy...about 9 inches long. Is that normal?

Hydolic fluid

you bought it without checking it? did they have a maint. history on the machine? Morbark is good equipment..........I would think the cutting anvil needs adjusted(flipped) & same with blades!

atleast change the filters!!!

LXT..........

I will change the filters, and check the belt tension. No, there is no maint. history....and I am sure that the hour counter is not correct. The chipper has a pretty worn in look to it, and it is 7 years old, so I know it has got to have more than 250 hours on it.
I think it might be unnecessary to change the hydrolic fluid because it is good for 2,000 hours, and I doubt it has that many hours on it. Is it easy to tell if the fluid is too old by its color?

knife changing

When I flip the knifes or change them out, is it important to use a torque wrench on the bolts, or can I tighten them down with the electric impact wrench I have?

Also, is giving the belts a twist a good way to test their tension?

When I flip the knifes or change them out, is it important to use a torque wrench on the bolts, or can I tighten them down with the electric impact wrench I have?

Also, is giving the belts a twist a good way to test their tension?

Use a Torque Wrench ! Buy a new set of bolts and nuts with every second set of blades. Clean the area where the blades mount so you have metal to metal contact. You can't get an accurate torque with sawdust and/or resin under the blades. I have seen the results of a thrown blade. Hard on the chipper and hard on the crew.
I would change the hydraulic fluid if you don't know the history. Good clean fluid protects the insides of all those EXPENSIVE hydraulic componets, water, grit and chemical contamination can destroy them in short order.

Rick

Definately change the hydraulic fluid. A machine that sits unused for a length of time will have a lot of accumulated condensation (moisture) in its fluid tanks (fuel, and hydraulic). Draining and flushing both with clean diesel fuel is a good idea. Regardless of hours, it is a good idea to change the hydraulic oil at least every two years so as to avoid the above mentioned problem.

Thanks VA Sawyer and Wheel Loader,

I will change the hydrolic oil asap. It's good to hear from people with experience in this matter.

Also, what about belt tension? How do I tell if they are too loose/ too tight?

Proper belt tension is hard to do without the proper tool. Generally speaking you want the least amount of tension that won't let the belt slip under full load.
Excess tension puts excess side load on the bearings leading to early failure. Too little tension can cause belt slap causing 'shock' side loads on the bearings which can also lead to early bearing failure. Any slippage generates heat which drasticly shortens belt life. In real world practice, I prefer a little over tight to a little too loose. Proper choice of grease and regular maint will help the bearings last as long as possible. More bearings get ruined by people using Moly-DiSulfide grease in them than by too much belt tension.
Rick

Thanks VA Sawyer and Wheel Loader,

I will change the hydrolic oil asap. ...

Take the trouble to clean the in tank screen that filters on the suction line leading to the pump. On a machine with as many hrs as it sounds like yours has, the screen may be packed and so is being by-passed or partially so. Not great if it is.
It only takes a few minutes to take it out, clean it, and put it back in.

Joshua

Back