Just Bought A Nashua

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I helped my neighbor move this stove into his house last fall after he bought but never put in the chimney to run it on. He decided it was too much stove for him. I looked at it and decided it might be an upgrade to my current one. Won't know till fall but it sure looks well built. Weighs 500lbs and feels solid. Only thing I'm gambling on is its got an 8" outlet and my pipe is 6". Anyone have any experience with a stove running a necked down pipe? Seems to me I can just compensate by opening the draft more. My chimney pipe is about 37' from the ceiling. Add 7' of single wall to that. Never had a draft issue with the old stove.

Well the new to me stove is up and running sweeeet! Heat output is enormous. I can't image a new catalytic any more efficient as my stove to pipe delta is 300 degrees and smoke out the chimney is next to zero. Today I've been outside working and not a single wisp of smoke have I noticed and the stove is running at 600degrees surface temp. The whole house is cozy warm and so far fuel consumption appears less than the old one. All this on 30yr old technology. So why would I want to buy a new fangled stove for 2-4 thousand dollars?? What could it do for me that this one can't?

... All this on 30-yr-old technology. So why would I want to buy a newfangled stove for 2-4 thousand dollars?? What could it do for me that this one can't?

Not much. The Nashua was one of the best wood stoves ever made. It will last for years. I recall almost buying one in 1975. I ended up with a Vermont Castings Defiant, but the Nashua was so well made that I had second thoughts. The weight of those stoves because of the wall thickness was mind boggling. :dizzy:

My FIL and I just installed a wood stove in his house a couple weekends ago, but we had to neck it down to work with the existing chimney were it went through the wall. So far no problems it drafts just fine, I'm sure if it were a problem it would have been a mess from the start.

I necked my Timber down from 8" to 6" simply because i couldn't find 8" pipe locally. It draws fine, but it isn't a completely air tight stove.....yet.

RD

Mine is necked down from 6" to 4" at the top of the stove then back to 6 at the connector to the brick chimney. Works good for me. The exhaust gasses are moving fast enough through the 4" pipe that they dont have much time to cool before getting to the chimney connector. This seems to help warm the 15 foot stack quicker and has never given me problems with draft. The smaller surface area means more heat makes it to the liner and I havent had more than 8 oz of creosote yet.

Latest posts

Back