Just getting Started, Need Used Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, exactly. But remember... THAT one was a jarhead, so... what can you expect? ;)

OR, a torch comes in handy. They're a PITA if they haven't been flipped in awhile.

Netree

Did you see the guy that died. And you still think there safer. And this dude dont know any saftey issue about them.

huskycandoit said:
Did you see the guy that died. And you still think there safer. And this dude dont know any saftey issue about them.

Young man, Eric is talking about statistics and averages. The number of Chuck and Duck related deaths is quite small. Drums with feed wheels have eaten several foolish people. Discs with feed wheels have mangled many. Self-feeding drums are so awesome in the way that they suck stuff in that the average idiot stays back and throws stuff in-safely.

husky,
Yes- By far.
...And I can base that on more years of experience than you've been alive.

Justin,
That death in the Fatality forum is the only one I've ever been able to verify as having been caused by a that style of machine.

Eric, Actually that is the only confirmed case I know of also-I've heard a couple of third hand rumors but no documentation other than this one.

Chuck-n-Ducks are great teachers! Get slapped once and respect is learned instantly!

Netree

Hey you know thats horse crap saying thats one of the only one you heard of, you;ve heard of more accendents then that one before because you've been in the business so long. You just said that to cover your a$$ because you know I'm right.

If you have that much of a budget spend 5k on a whisper chipper, their simple, make great chips, you can get parts easy, and every tree guy should start with a whisper chipper, you will learn how to be more effeicent in brush handling and feeding, remember chuck and duck does not explain proper feed technique with a whisper rig. You will get the most bang for your buck and get years of service from the machine.

David Hardman said:
The chips from a drum chipper are much finer and easier to move around IMO.
Chuck & ducks ROCK!!!!!! :blob2:

I challenge anyone to make finer chips than I can get out of my Gravely 395 disc, 90* angle cut. By adjusting the variable speed I can get chips of even stringy material such as palm fronds and tecoma trees down to 1/16 of an inch. Even at the maximum speed of 175 fps, it will produce an average chip of around 1/2 inch.

Chip size on a drum is entirely dependent on how you set the knives and anvil.

Koa, 1/16"? That's not chips, that's sawdust! =) But seriously, you need that 90-degree cut for that stuff. Not many palm trees up here, though. Locust is about as bad as we usually run into.

p, I started with discs, and moved "down" to a drum. It's just so much easier to maintain and tow, and you can maneuver it around by hand if necessary. Worst thing I ever had go wrong is the starter went on a job; sent Liz to AutoZone (standard Ford unit) while we finished the second takedown, and we were back in business within the hour.

husky, what's an "accendents"?

I've blown the belts and clutch on my whipper chipper. The generator went last year. And the gas tank rusted through this year. It's 30 years old though so, still cheaper to fix than having payments.

Chipper

Nice name you got there . Youll get a lot of grief overe that one but we all mean no harm, just picking at the new guy. I agree with eric i have a chuck and duck they are a great machine jist have respect for it or it will let you know who's boss in a hurry . mine is also set up like eric at 15 thousand and it chips like mad you would be suprised at what it will take . i know i am if you are looking for one try tree trader .com

NeTree said:
husky,

Justin,
That death in the Fatality forum is the only one I've ever been able to verify as having been caused by a that style of machine.

Actually I have heard of several locally over the years. One was a municipal employee. Probably dull blades caused a "spike" to spit back out striking the guy in the throat. I dosn't matter what you use though, if you are not trained/careful. However feed wheels do have the ability to pull anything into the machine.

fpyontek said:
However feed wheels do have the ability to pull anything into the machine.
However feed wheels can be stopped by pulling a bar. But stopping a drum LOL good lucky turning it off before you get sucked in.

fpyontek said:
Actually I have heard of several locally over the years. One was a municipal employee. Probably dull blades caused a "spike" to spit back out striking the guy in the throat. I dosn't matter what you use though, if you are not trained/careful. However feed wheels do have the ability to pull anything into the machine.

I'm guessing they had removed the rupper flaps that prevent that from happening?

huskycandoit said:
However feed wheels can be stopped by pulling a bar. But stopping a drum LOL good lucky turning it off before you get sucked in.

And again... in order to actually get sucked into a drum, one would have to go to great lengths beyond merely being stupid. :rolleyes:

I Actually Have A 90xp Bandit For Sale Very Good Machine,just Gone Over Very $$$ 4cyl 3.0 181. Gm Motor. New Parts Here & There Email Me If You Need More Info. Later Doug;lxt

Latest posts

Back