just got 40 blue spruces in ohio. What should I do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coppermouse

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got such a good deal on 40 - 2.5 foot tall blue spruces in containers. They are very healthy.
Should I plant them * I live in central Ohio and it is getting hot out. I have quite a bit of traveling in the next few months so It will be difficult to water them.
Or should I store them till falll? And how to store them?
Thanks

Plant them

Take out of container and take a picture and show us.

We want to see the root growth and then we can comment on what to due next.

Plant an inch or two high.

Water in good.

Water when you can.

Mother Nature seems to be doing her job this spring for you.

They will fair better in the ground vs above.

Call Julie before digging.

Probably have to take a knife and cut the roots up a bit so they don't grow in a circle.

Pics please. :)

I will get a pic tomorrow. I was thinking to leave them in the containers and kinda half bury all the containers, maybe not

They will be much better in the ground than in the pots.

I say plant them even if you can't water them. You wouldn't be able to water the pots either, and that would be much worse.

Edit to add:
Oh, one more thing, whatever you do, don't plant them where anyone may walk around barefoot in the future. Those blue spruce needles are as sharp as needles. Once the trees get bigger, they lose tons of needles every year,,,,,,nasty things!

Last edited:
I guess I was thinking I could put them all in a couple of baby pools or somethings then the neighbor could water them. I thought it would be easier if they were in one central place

I was thinking of burying like a 1.5 - 2 foot long piece of 4" corrugated drain pipe with each one to pour full of water to water them down in the roots so I don't loose much water on the surface. Any thoughts on this or other ways to water.

I was thinking of burying like a 1.5 - 2 foot long piece of 4" corrugated drain pipe with each one to pour full of water to water them down in the roots so I don't loose much water on the surface. Any thoughts on this or other ways to water.

Spruce & Pine trees are Very Shallow rooted trees. No need to deep feed the roots because they are closer to the surface than you might think.

Watering is important.

Back