Just got my 2101 back, and what the hell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
About two months ago I was real excited got a 2101xp from my buddy for 250.oo Had to put a bar on it my other buddy gave me. I did have to by a complete clutch assembly, sprocket, and bearing, and chain. Came home thought i would be cutting that day wrong! Been sittin awhile couldnt get the carb tuned. So I took it to my shop, and been waiting like a kid at christmas. The saw shop was backed up, and I just got it back yesterday. Went to fire it up, and it fired right up, ran great wouldnt idle so I thought that was odd, well I adjusted the idle. was running pretty good, but seemed like it had to clear out, and run alittle from sitting. Then it started to idle a little high so I cranked the idle down, and checked carb adjustments. The high speed screw was tightened all the way what the? Backed off lost a little power so put it back where it was runs good then wouldnt idel. I am so bummed out got 500 in it total, and just wanted another for my collection, and a good runner of coaurse. My shop has always been the best guess I will go back monday, but wanted to cut going tomorrow, and just got me a little depressed. Oh well.

My first guess would be an air leak or dirty carb. Never run the saw with the mix screws all the way in. You will score it quickly.

Is it possible that you are against the stops and not screwed all the way in?
I'm just guessing, don't know if it has limiters or not.

Mike

Would that saw happen to have a Tillotson HS? Seems I was just reading in a thread here tonight about a few saws with the HS metering jet/check that should have the H jet adjusted all the way closed.

No kidding, look at Modifiedmark's thread, I think it was a Homelite 925. Come to think of it I got to visit Mark last year and snapped a few photo's, wonder if this is the saw in question?

attachment.php

Mark

So could it be normal to have it screwed in all the way? Like I said this shop has always been good i would be surprised to see a screw up like that.

Just looked it up you are right it is a tiliston hs, so this is normal to have the screw on the h side all the way in?

SUP Norm!!!

There's a million reasons for nothing!
So I can't say any thing about your shop.
But for the carb being adjusted all the way in, I see after I go through a carb and clean everything, I always put the H and L all the way in and set them after it is installed. They may have been or one been left in??

Thanks Teddy, and good to hear from you! I will get it figured out you know how it goes when you think you have a good idea, and think you got the cost figured out, and then the cost goes up, and then it isnt right, and you want youre saw to run right, and it doesnt then the frustration sets in quick!

Every carb that I have seen that had to have the screws turned all the way in was flooding due to a stuck needle or bad metering diaphragm. Since your's is "loading up" at idle and it clears out when you hit the throttle that also sounds like flooding. Try this; while the saw is running hold it up in the air so that the carb intake is pointing down toward the ground. If fuel comes dripping out the intake it's flooding for sure.

Cool thanks, will try it, and I also looked at that thread like heinmann suggested, and thta saw lady had good info said is was supposed to be closed. We will get it figured out! one way or the other.

Latest posts

Back