Just how much quicker does full chisel dull in dirty wood?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True, I really don't like how slow chipper chain feels but when I need to cut up wood that's been skidded or ground in the dirt chipper chain is at the top of my list. I sharpen chains for my family and my dad and brother do dirtwork/grading, whenever they borrow a saw for any amount of cutting I know every tooth on the chain is going to have the corner wrecked from cutting dirty stuff. One other thing is I just keep cutting in certain situations, a fair bit of my "in the field" cutting is limbing, sizing, and trimming the stump/rootball off a tree an excavator has pushed over. It's not ideal cutting conditions but it's what I need the saw for, so I just do the "clean" work first and cut the stump off at the end. The trunk is usually a bit dirty where I cut but the stump's gotta come off and if it hurts the chain so be it. I don't like it, but I have 12 or so chains for my 562 so I can afford to hurt one or two every now and again.
Chipper chain and semi-chisel chain are two different animals. Chipper was discontinued in handheld chainsaw in the 1970s and was replaced by semi-chisel. Chipper was extremly slow and put much more strain on the saw than semi. I think most people have never seen chipper chain.

Latest posts

Back