Just one sticky? Pretty please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Reaction score
The idea has come up a few times in the shiny new sticky dumpster, but it doesn't get much play there. Might just be a bad idea, but I think it is worth considering.

The problem is that new members likely will have no idea what a "sticky" is, and are less likely to know that there is an FAQ thread there. I have seen 2 threads today that basically were "sorry to bother you, but I'd like some general information on..."

In the interest of clarity, I'm not trying to cut off threads or questions by newcomers. I got the impression from both of the posts that, had they known where to look, they would have gone that route first.

So...the suggestion is to have one sticky with a heading like "New members read this first!", and a description of what actually is in the "sticky forum" as part of the thread.

That way, people with general questions, or questions about specific saws will be directed to the part of the site that will do them the most good.

Thoughts?

We just got rid of them and now you want them back:bang:

I get what you are saying, maybe just a better description of what is contained in the "Stickies" sub forum would work. Something like "Contains FAQs. New users start here.

Yes, as i said in the sticky :laugh:, there needs to be a better explanation of what a Sticky is. So instead of:

All chainsaw stickies are here.

We could have:

All Brand Specific Threads, FAQ's and GTG Information. New members look here first!

We just got rid of them and now you want them back:bang:

I get what you are saying, maybe just a better description of what is contained in the "Stickies" sub forum would work. Something like "Contains FAQs. New users start here.

"We"?

Updating the description would definitely accomplish the same thing.

Yes, as i said in the sticky :laugh:, there needs to be a better explanation of what a Sticky is. So instead of:

All chainsaw stickies are here.

We could have:

All Brand Specific Threads, FAQ's and GTG Information. New members look here first!

For what it's worth I agree 110%. A sticky FAQ about different brands of saws and other FAQ's would in fact be very nice IMHO.

I would like to see something like what's over in the "hot saw" thread. It looks really clean and easy to find what you are looking for.

Agree with the Hotsaws layout. Especially the Chain Shapening thread. There isn't one in in the Chainsaws stickeys or FAQ.

Couple of recent new member questions about chains binding (oil plate on wrong) and lack of self-feed could be answered quickly. BobL's classic thread on raker angle should be in there as well (it also covers the FOP).

JMO

Who started the whole sticky switch around?

You are a D bag! (unless it was a MOD, then it's cool!)

It is a pain to get around!
Hope it is at least helping some!

NOTE:
I see the stick's are a bit lower in traffic then they were before.
Also agree that there seems to be a lot more of the general questions then before too!

The idea has come up a few times in the shiny new sticky dumpster, but it doesn't get much play there. Might just be a bad idea, but I think it is worth considering.

The problem is that new members likely will have no idea what a "sticky" is, and are less likely to know that there is an FAQ thread there. I have seen 2 threads today that basically were "sorry to bother you, but I'd like some general information on..."

In the interest of clarity, I'm not trying to cut off threads or questions by newcomers. I got the impression from both of the posts that, had they known where to look, they would have gone that route first.

So...the suggestion is to have one sticky with a heading like "New members read this first!", and a description of what actually is in the "sticky forum" as part of the thread.

That way, people with general questions, or questions about specific saws will be directed to the part of the site that will do them the most good.

Thoughts?

Ok, you want a sticky that goes to the sticky room right??? Sounds like a good idea, what should it's title be? lemmeno

It shouldn't be the one you have listed imo, to newbie specific

Ok, you want a sticky that goes to the sticky room right??? Sounds like a good idea, what should it's title be? lemmeno

It shouldn't be the one you have listed imo, to newbie specific

Someone else suggested changing just the description, which shoould be just as effective, and less likely to cause phone-use related stress.

It currently reads: "All chainsaw stickies are here."

But something along the lines of: "Brand-specific threads and FAQ for new members." would be more informative.

Why not just change the name "Sticky"...to...Frequently Asked Questions
New folks (both new members and quests) here would know what that means.
Would cut waaay down on the newbie simple questions and our replies..!!
I never heard of the term..."sticky thread" until I came here..!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
I should've clicked on the link first.

I think the suggestion of just changing the description is going to more effective. There is no need to have a sticky to direct people to the stickies.

I just joined a few days ago. Even though I've been on an automotive for 6 years now knowing well what stickies are, I just didn't think to look for any stickies here. Maybe I've been around gasoline too much lately....I dunno. And, I'm probably one of the referred to thread/post starters on the general question thing.

One thing....so you veterans know that maybe didn't consider this....is by simply referring one to google or the thread search feature doesn't help a new comer much. I say that because I went to those two things first before even starting a now unnecessary thread. Problem is lack of knowledge for good keywords to find relevant info can be frustrating for the new comer. Digging through dialog just to find exactly what you need becomes laborious and sometimes discouraging even for the willing. I know this from the auto forums, as well.

Stickies are a good thing and more helpful when referring someone to specific/applicable info. And, a description of contents of a stickie works well from what I've seen. Possibly a mention of stickies in the automatic welcoming PM might be useful, too. I did read mine....hehe.

BTW, great site, fellas. Glad I found it.

I should've clicked on the link first.

I think the suggestion of just changing the description is going to more effective. There is no need to have a sticky to direct people to the stickies.

I agree, but I'm OK with (and grateful for) either. Just so long as new members have some idea of the treasures that await in stickyland.

By the way, am I the only one that has Pee Wee Herman come to mind when we talk about stickies?

Back