Just say NO!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been around chainsaws for many years and have quite a few. I cut a lot of wood because that's how I heat my house so I'm always prospecting for downed stuff and those lone trees that people want to drop. But, despite lots of requests I decline when it comes to trees near homes. I think it was dirty harry who once said.. "a man's got to know his limitations". Most times I cut a tree I can put it where I want.. but I don't take chances.. Call a pro lady!

A friend sent me this video link.. said he knew I would enjoy it. It's probably already made the rounds on this forum.. but if you haven't seen it.. and are considering felling one near a house without the proper know-how or equipment.. give it a view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJTJ5OA4HU

Last edited:
That's just stupid.

I've only been cutting for firewood for one winter.

I paused it at the very beginning to "size up" the job.

1. No doubt which way it 'wanted' to go. (Heavy Side)
2. As far as I can tell no wedges or ropes.
3. See number 1
4. Guy acted like he kept taking a little more hinge...then waited for it to go...then take a little more...and wait for it to go...etc (That's a big red flag that som'tin' aint right)
5. See number 1!!!!

A tree that size I would "THINK" could do a whole lot worse. Walls wouldn't fair much better than the posts. I say they're lucky.

I agree - know when to say no. I'm not so sure it couldn' have been dropped with just wedges, but I would have had at least one rope on it too. Hard to tell from just one angle.
Looks like he was try to fall it straight away from the corner of the house. I would have set the hinge perpendicular to the corner so it would fall 90 deg from where it did. I don't see much of a notch - In fact, I don't see a hinge at all.

Saw is set too rich as well.

That tree defiantly had a lean towards the house. When i'm close to houses, i don't take chances. Rope in the tree and wedges in the back just in case.

At least the camer person had sense enough to stay way back, lol. Looks like the typical neighbor, "yeah, I have a saw, I'll come over and get it down for you, no problem" The guy had no ropes, wedges, or anything.

This is a prime example of the difference between firewood cutters and professional tree removal.

lol

This is a prime example of the difference between firewood cutters and professional tree removal.

Lots of the time only differance between a firewood cutter and professional tree removal is a set of gaffs and a belt, or one of them owns a nice chipper and the other doesnt. I know some firewood guys who can cut circles around some that claim to be a PRO tree service.

Now if you said that was a good example of the differance between an aroborist (or at least a REAL pro tree service) and a typical yahoo/homeowner who sometimes cuts his own firewood then I would agree.

No offense to anyone who bought a chipper and desider you were a tree service.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what I'm seeing here.

picture.php

I tried to improve this for viewing.
What did he do to the bottom of the tree?
It seems like alot of bark missing.
Are we seeing the side of a hinge or did he just hack chunks off the backside?
I see a whole lot of chips around the base, also the "big" saw that froze up and is on the porch doesn't look as big as I'd want for this tree no?
What do you see?
-br

Lots of the time only differance between a firewood cutter and professional tree removal is a set of gaffs and a belt, or one of them owns a nice chipper and the other doesnt. I know some firewood guys who can cut circles around some that claim to be a PRO tree service.

Now if you said that was a good example of the differance between an aroborist (or at least a REAL pro tree service) and a typical yahoo/homeowner who sometimes cuts his own firewood then I would agree.

Its a little more than going through the motions I agree but some people with little or no experiance can pull stuff like this off though, in this case just a little common sense would have done the trick. I mean the guy couldn't see the tree was leaning towards the house?
But whatever, I just spent the last 3 days teaching myself to drive a motorcycle. Its the same thing, to learn properly I should had some lessons maybe but really it just comes down to natural selection of whose is going to walk into the woods and who is going to walk back out, of who is able to walk in and walk out.

???????

picture.php

I tried to improve this for viewing.
What did he do to the bottom of the tree?
It seems like alot of bark missing.
Are we seeing the side of a hinge or did he just hack chunks off the backside?
I see a whole lot of chips around the base, also the "big" saw that froze up and is on the porch doesn't look as big as I'd want for this tree no?
What do you see?
-br

To me it looks like several problems, other then the obvious of trying to save a few dollars cost him thousands.

Looks like he was (as stated before by someone else) cutting a leaner without using at least ropes or wedges. Also looks like he cut his wedge off at a 90 degree angle from the lean (which too me is way too much). Now if he had roped it and used a few felling wedges and cut face cut at maybe 30 degrees form the lean he may have been alright. But if you look at the tree it has several large leaders coming off it on the side of the lean meaning it was top loaded in the wrong direction and should have been limbed by a pro be fore he tried to drop it.

Just my unprofessional opinion

Lots of the time only differance between a firewood cutter and professional tree removal is a set of gaffs and a belt, or one of them owns a nice chipper and the other doesnt.
If you say so........

so what is a "REAL pro tree service" ???? Would that be anyone who knows how to do it right and has the equipment to do so, I own equipment and a chipper and been in the business 21 years should I call myself a "REAL" pro, most firewood cutters won't touch a tree like this.

I think the house took that well , Guess what thats one decent size tree, and even with wedges and a tank pulling in the other side that would have been interesting, and they picked the perfect day to put a hole in the roof .

thats my point

If you say so........

so what is a "REAL pro tree service" ???? Would that be anyone who knows how to do it right and has the equipment to do so, I own equipment and a chipper and been in the business 21 years should I call myself a "REAL" pro, most firewood cutters won't touch a tree like this.

Dont take it the wrong way my point is that there are a ton of people with a little knowledge and the proper equipment but that doeskin make then a Pro tree service. In my opinion it takes more then that.

But thats just my opinion

My comparison was meant for was more for the guy who cut firewood for 2 years then bought a chipper and went in to the tree business and calls himself a pro.

I've been around chainsaws for many years and have quite a few. I cut a lot of wood because that's how I heat my house so I'm always prospecting for downed stuff and those lone trees that people want to drop. But, despite lots of requests I decline when it comes to trees near homes. I think it was dirty harry who once said.. "a man's got to know his limitations". Most times I cut a tree I can put it where I want.. but I don't take chances.. Call a pro lady!

A friend sent me this video link.. said he knew I would enjoy it. It's probably already made the rounds on this forum.. but if you haven't seen it.. and are considering felling one near a house without the proper know-how or equipment.. give it a view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJTJ5OA4HU
I think it would be fitting for me to thank the gent with the homelite, you can't buy that kind of advertising. Hopefully 10,000 wives watched that video as there hubbies headed outside to cut down that old oak tree , thanks for taking one on the chin for the tree cutters you stupid :censored::censored: idiot.

lots of the time only differance between a firewood cutter and professional tree removal is a set of gaffs and a belt, or one of them owns a nice chipper and the other doesnt. I know some firewood guys who can cut circles around some that claim to be a pro tree service.

Now if you said that was a good example of the differance between an aroborist (or at least a real pro tree service) and a typical yahoo/homeowner who sometimes cuts his own firewood then i would agree.

+1

I think it would be fitting for me to thank the gent with the homelite, you can't buy that kind of advertising. Hopefully 10,000 wives watched that video as there hubbies headed outside to cut down that old oak tree , thanks for taking one on the chin for the tree cutters you stupid :censored::censored: idiot.

:laugh::agree2::laugh:

Back