Kart Chainsaw Engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im thinking about building a vintage style go kart, but it seems the Mac and West Bend kart engines are going pretty high on ebay. I've read that a PP AH-47(77cc) and Mac 250 (80cc) doesn't really have enough power for a kart. So I've been thinking about a AH-58 (95cc). Ive seen some this style http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...313f954f29e6500888256d4800141de0?OpenDocument go on ebay latley. Does anyone know if a saw llike this will adapt to a kart fairly easy? Also I've been seeing some Clinton D35's and D65's (94cc) go pretty reasonable on ebay. What about these? Anyone that knows about saws and karts got any advice? Im just going by the displacement size-figured the bigger the better.

Look at a Mac 15. They are an easy conversion and go for a reasonable amount on Ebay.
Almost any of the Clintons can be used for a conversion and offer resonable power.
Clintons kart motors were 3hp and 7 hp. My first kart had the 3hp Clinton and I still have that engine. I have a few Power Product powered saws but I am not a fan of those engines, although they run well. They can be had for a lower cost than the Macs or Clintons

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what this came off of but It might be something thast would work for your project. I think it came off of a pump or something. I'm not sure what displacement the engine is but it looks about the same sixe as some of the old 80-90cc saws that I have sold before. It has compression and I believe if you were to clean the points it would run. It has a keyed PTO shaft wich should be easy retrofit a sprocket onto. If your interested just let me know.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ive got a Hoffco Wizz Witch Brush Cutter that is like new, and has the 85cc Tecumseh 2 stroke engine...

Anyone know if it would have enough power for a Kart?

The carb is all screwed up on it, but I have another one that I took off an engine that slung a rod.
Larger bore pumper tec. carb.

85cc isnt alot, I know, but the KT100 Yamaha is only 100cc's, and it rules the 2 stroke karting circuit.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the help. Im not sure what Im going to do. I've been adding up the cost of all the wheels, tires, axles etc and :dizzy: it really adds up- I suppose Im just dreaming. Im not looking for the power of a KT100 so you would think a saw around 80cc would be big enough. Must be that those KT100's really pump out the power. Maybe what I need is a good PP AH-81 (130cc) that should do the job but I think they're kind of rare and probably pretty expensive. If I do build a kart it would probably be best in the long run to put my $$ toward a kart engine.:confused:

I have a very clean West bend 820 in a Wards 99 chassis I will sell for 600.00 complete and its painted candy apple red. It looks just like Art Martins West Bend

Ive got a sachs, air cooled, twin cylinder, 440cc. $450 plus shipping. I'll even throw in the belt driven fan and MAYBE an exhaust can if I can find it still. Was going to be a saw, but just another project I didnt get to finish.

Hey, that's my saw on Mike's site. I must say I'm quite the photog. That motor wouldn't be that tough to convert for Kart use but before I did that I'd find a Toro 2-stroke lawn mower engine. They are made by Suzuki, are about 225cc, and are bulletproof. Just change the carb and exhaust, ditch the govenor and you're golden. If you're not going to actually race where they have real rules put a Rotax out of a snowmobile as they are totally bulletproof and likely make more power than you would ever want in stock trim.
John....

johncinco said:
Ive got a sachs, air cooled, twin cylinder, 440cc. $450 plus shipping. I'll even throw in the belt driven fan and MAYBE an exhaust can if I can find it still. Was going to be a saw, but just another project I didnt get to finish.

Your gonna break stuff.........

MacDaddy said:
I have a very clean West bend 820 in a Wards 99 chassis I will sell for 600.00 complete and its painted candy apple red. It looks just like Art Martins West Bend

But doe's your's make as much power as Arts West bend ??

Mc Bob.

Mmm i watched Art's saw at Placerville it's one awlful quick saw it would be interesting to see the difference between the two saws and see the difference between stroked verus un-stroked engines of the WestBend varity.

Mc Bob.

Mine is also stock, Arts is ported and a pipe with a v12 reed set up with a big tilly

Latest posts

Back