keeping a husky 2100 flywheel on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just put my husky 2100 back together with a new ignition module and it runs awsome again. I was cutting for about 15 minutes with it and the flywheel came loose,(not off as the nut was still on it) and sheared the key. The keyways look ok so I'm going to get another key and put it back together. Should I lock tight the nut on the crank? Is it possible the flywheel was binding on the shaft and wasn't seated all the way when I tightned it the first time?

I just put my husky 2100 back together with a new ignition module and it runs awsome again. I was cutting for about 15 minutes with it and the flywheel came loose,(not off as the nut was still on it) and sheared the key. The keyways look ok so I'm going to get another key and put it back together. Should I lock tight the nut on the crank? Is it possible the flywheel was binding on the shaft and wasn't seated all the way when I tightned it the first time?
Make sure it is a clean and dry fit. Any oil or grease or anything will cause this. I am talking about the taper not the threads. You should not need to Loctite anything. Torque to 220 in.lbs.

(NOT ft.lbs!!!!!!!)

Last edited:
what Simon says.. plus.. if the flywheel and crank do not mate perfectly, you might need to use some lapping compound or fine valve grinding paste to remove any irregularities.. with care... and perfect cleanup. Use some machinist dye to check the fit if you're concerned.

140 in-lb?? that sure seems very low to me. Simon - Are you sure? I don't have the Husky info in from of me, but... A Stihl of similar size and taper would be 2-3x that.

Last edited:
what Simon says.. plus.. if the flywheel and crank do not mate perefectly, you might need to use some lapping compound or fine valve grinding paste to remove any irregularities.. with care... and perfect cleanup. Use some machinist dye to check the fit if you're concerned.

140 in-lb?? that sure seems very low to me. Simon - Are you sure? I don't have the Husky info in from of me, but... A Stihl of similar size and taper would be 2-3x that.
My mistake, sorry.

Jesus, you're on the ball this morning ha ha. :cheers:

Back