Keeping bar studs in place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtractor

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Recently replace the bar studs on my Husq 266 and having a devil of a time keeping them from falling back into the oil tank. I didn't do anything fancy, just slipped them into place and checked that the flat ends were in the proper way. I thought once they've been tightened they would stay. Seems it takes very little pressure to dislodge them. What's the trick?

I have one that every time I bump it with the nut loose it backs out. PITA I have considered making a sleeve for it outta brass. Maybe someone can give us a good idea.

I just do a small spot weld on 4 sides, grind it down to a little bigger then the shaft and drive them in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the spot welds. Very small and right where the stud contacts the thickness of the tank wall. may have to file them a bit, but they will bite into the softer case and stay in place.

Howdy,
Sorry, I should have been way more specific. I do the peening with a center punch. Lay the stud on a good hard surface like a vice, or anvil with the head hanging off the side. Just one tap per peen about 90 degrees apart and as close to the head as your center punch allows. Then I do the same thing about an 1/8" further away from the head as the original peens, and 45 degrees offset from the originals. If this doesn't make it feel a lot more sung, you could try repeating with the center punch in the same spots as the first time. If that doesn't snug it up, you'll need something more drastic. Also, pulling the stud into position is better than hammer it in. One thing to remember when you pull it in is to do it in steps. Every time you turn the nut 1 revolution, back it off a 1/4 turn to release the tension if you happen to start it a little crooked. After doing this a few times, it as straight as it'll ever be.
Regards
Gregg

If they are leaking oil into the bar pad you can peen around the hole in the bar pad, about 10-12 small peens will help it seal back up along with the peens on the bar stud near the collar to keep it from slipping back into the oil tank.

Seems that bearing setting loctite would do the job if you got all the oil off both surfaces.

Back