Keeping saws prisine aka OCD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawJunkie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I hate it when a nice new saw gets her first character marks. Enter the Stihl 440. I found a brand new one sitting on a dealers shelf 2 years ago and bought it. The first thing I did was put a DP cover on, tune and go cut wood. Right off the bat the 2 sheet metal screws vibrated out of the cover and the screen went missing. A trip to the hardware store, a piece of screen out of an old weedeater and I was back in business. I didn't use the saw at all last year as I didn't cut anything to large. This past week the neighbor had some large 30" plus white oaks dropped the gypsy moths had gotten the best of. On the very first cut a splintered piece of wood threw the chain. This broke my chain catcher and took a small chunk out of the case. Nothing to major but this kind of stuff never happens to an old beat up saw it seems. Something also must have gotten between the clutch cover and the rear handle assembly of the saw making some small hairline cracks in the plastic. Perhaps this saw has some bad vibes placed on it, or perhaps its just me and my saw OCD. I guess now it's just time to run the dang thing and quit obsessing about. Hope you guys aren't as nuts as me about this kind of stuff.

I hate it too but unfortunately I think it comes with the turf. I noticed today that my starter handle had somehow banged around and knocked a fin out of the grille plate (see my previous post regarding cutting wood with my dad for a picture of the saw), and I also threw another dang chain today when a round slipped and pulled the chain off. I just replaced the chain catcher last month. It also gouged the case a little and I thought I was going to have to buy a new chain. I've got about 35 tanks threw my "new" MS362 and it is starting to look like its been around the block a few times....

I can feel you pain, that's why I have 2 or more of everything. A shelf queen and a battle scared version. Get yourself another new 440 and you will sleep better at night.
Kevin

Same here, you pay the money for something nice and think you can try to keep it nice. but when you gotta use you gotta expect scars. its that way for everything.

If I wasn't a grown man, I probably would have shed a tear when this happened. Bought the saw new 20 years ago and have only run 3 tanks through it....

BrokenHomelite540006.jpg

BrokenHomelite540005.jpg

BrokenHomelite540008.jpg

When it comes to the working parts of any mechanical device, I'm definitely OCD. However, when it comes to cosmetics I don't give a damn.

When I was writing tech articles for a motocycle magazine, I was constantly ragged about not washing the bike. I had found years ago that washing with water (especially with a pressure nozzle) would induce corrosion in lots of areas.

The same thing with nicks, dings and scratches - if it doesn't affect the performance why care? You should see my truck - it has lots of 'character'.

That policy also has another benefit, it helps to prevent people from stealing your truck - I'm working on the chainsaw's appearance.

When it comes to the working parts of any mechanical device, I'm definitely OCD. However, when it comes to cosmetics I don't give a damn.

When I was writing tech articles for a motocycle magazine, I was constantly ragged about not washing the bike. I had found years ago that washing with water (especially with a pressure nozzle) would induce corrosion in lots of areas.

The same thing with nicks, dings and scratches - if it doesn't affect the performance why care? You should see my truck - it has lots of 'character'.

That policy also has another benefit, it helps to prevent people from stealing your truck - I'm working on the chainsaw's appearance.

I can appreciate the wisdom within your words. I just can't seem to help it sometimes. It's to cold here yet to get the motorcycle out. I can't wait though.

It don't really bother me. But I'm not just going to sling my saw around. Or any of my tools. I take care of my stuff. Clean them. Sit them down softly. Heck, you pay enough money for saws, why just abuse them. I guess if you can afford to just tear stuff up and go buy new then, have at it. But me, if it's mine, I'm taking care of it best I can while still getting my work done.

It don't really bother me. But I'm not just going to sling my saw around. Or any of my tools. I take care of my stuff. Clean them. Sit them down softly. Heck, you pay enough money for saws, why just abuse them. I guess if you can afford to just tear stuff up and go buy new then, have at it. But me, if it's mine, I'm taking care of it best I can while still getting my work done.

I"am with you on this one. I take pride in my tools I won't them to be clean and operate properly.

You will be a proud of her when she shows her wounds! Collect and keep beanie babies in perfect shape, not chainsaws!!!!!!!!

Use your it and be proud it! (the saw, not the beanie babies!)

I was once there. Now my saw is worth more then a new one!!

layingdownfirstload.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Its not about tearing stuff up. I take pride in all of my tools too. If you don't take care of em they go to hell quickly. I make a living with mine. Regular maintainence. Theres takin it easy and theres well, takin it to the extreme.

This thread turned out to be pretty interesting! The "once" new 440 has alot more wood to put on the pile yet this season. A few more of those scars are going to happen for sure.

Back