Kemp Chipper Briggs 4hp 112202 Help Starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frecato

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
One of my buddies passed on an old Kemp SK04 4hp Chipper to me not too long ago. The engine turns over and it looks to be in pretty good shape, but I am not sure how to start the darn Briggs. The engine is an old briggs 4hp 112202-0516-01. The guy seems to remember having to do something with a metal bracket near the spark plug, but can't remember how to start it as well. I haven't seen any other briggs like this without any noticeable "on" switch. Any help will be appreciated.

View attachment 299626

Pull the choke, which is a flat handle under the air filter and should pull out a short cylinder assembly from the carburetor. pull start the engine and close the choke as soon as it fires up.

When you want to shut down, the metal tab hanging over the spark plug should be depressed to touch on the spark plug so it will short circuit and shut itself down. I would use the bottom of your boot to push it down with, and not your bare finger unless you enjoy being zapped.

Most importantly, check the oil every time, and make sure you have fuel in the tank. I got a free rototiller once when the guy could not figure out why it wouldn't run for him. Turns out he thought he gassed it up but didn't. I offered to let him have it back but he refused to touch it again.

Matt

You can probably find the owners manual for your engine on the manufacturers site. You would need the model and serial number.... usually on the recoil housing. Happy chipping.

Matt has the answer.

It is a small engine. Very basic. Spark plug (properly gapped), fuel (through a clean system) and compression. These engines are darn near bullet proof to get running. Don't forget to properly gap the coil from the flywheel (.020 if I remember) and check the flywheel key to see if it has been tweaked. Back in the day, I could usually get something like this running for under $2.00. Now a days, under $10.00.

Good Luck!

BIOB

When you want to shut down, the metal tab hanging over the spark plug should be depressed to touch on the spark plug so it will short circuit and shut itself down. I would use the bottom of your boot to push it down with, and not your bare finger unless you enjoy being zapped.

Perfect, thanks for the help and I'll remember not to use my finger to shut it off.

Check this site for a bit of how your carb is set up.
pics # 7, 8, 9 show your type of carb.
#10 shows the diaphragm (it's on the backside from the photo you posted)
The fuel mix screw is above the tan/yellow looking tube in pic #9
about 1 and 1/2 turns out from gently closed.
if needs more than about 1/4 turn either direction to run, then the carb needs attention.
that's generally just the new diaphragm (pay close attention to how things come apart)
and a good cleaning. typical issues with stale gas, varnishing, plugged passages etc.
water in those steel tanks give you rust and on older tanks can make it
difficult to keep your motor running.

Those two tubes hanging from bottom of carb (where it is screwed to tank)
have screens and may need cleaning, not tearing out,
as an old mower wrench I often saw this done, it doesn't fix the problem.

Also note that you can flood these engines with that choke if you miss the first pop.
when you get that pop, push the choke about half way back in (open) and crank again then ease the choke open as the engine warms.

after a bit of practice, you'll probably get that ...
pull the choke,
pull the rope and as the engine coughs over,
pushing the choke as it revs up till it's warmed up.
usually in one or two pulls when everything is *dead on tuned*
and no worn parts.

The starter clutch will need a couple of drops oil in it.
just three 1/4 bolts
people will listen to that squealing until it grabs on the top of the crankshaft and spins
which then rips the recoil apart.
if it ever squeals, take it apart and clean the crankshaft and inside
the starter clutch hole.
at the point of squealing it's too late for just oiling and you *really*
need to do the disassembley and cleanup.

the carb pics (info covers more than one type carb and a bit jumbled )
Disassembly, Cleaning and Repair of Briggs and Stratton Tank-mounted Pulsa-jet Adjustable Carburetor - Horizontal Crankshaft Engine

and a pretty decent thread on the starter clutch
balls in the basket cleaning the starter clutch - OldMiniBikes.com Forum

If you don't find what you need in the links, give a shout
and I'll see if I can shoot some useable pics.

Last edited:
Back