Kewanee IL hedge tree- arborist needed!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are tough @ss trees. I have a great deal of respect for them and while they are hell on chains, chipper knives, and clothing, you can tie and walk onto just about any branch living or dead and not have to worry about it snapping off. I don't have knowledge on tree biomechanics but I would believe the Arborist that said he didn't think it was in any imediate danger of going over, especially with some weight reduction on the one side. Having said that, the tree is leaning, it's in a bad spot, and while perserving history is nice sometimes you just have to let it go.

We pruned 20 mature trees this summer and since it was an unusual tree for us to work on I did some research. 'Seems to me I remember Osage being described as relatively short lived. Wouldn't 169 years be considered an extremely old OO?
Phil

a qualified arborist could make four cuts and restore symmetry and greatly increase the level of safety, all in a few hours’ time

Where would your four cuts be, Guy?

good observations by coder yes roots slipping, echoed by Guy "Big Guy" Sternberg; he is the dude sitting, 20 years ago...the city decided to prune 2 limbs tomorrow and get a good assessment asap; thanks all for sending vibes. :clap:

Just saw this tonight Treeseer. I sent my contact info to the city manager. wish I would have seen it earlier as I was probably less than 10 minutes from this tree today. I 'll let you know if I hear anything.
Wiltzzy

Good news to report--the tree got pruned, and a group assessed it, and support is planned via a donated steel I-beam. Hoping to install this in June; I volunteered to do the tree part but would be glad to have some help!

I'd like to do it on the summer solstice June 21 just before the ISA conference. here's a report:

Background summary:

Potter Farm Osage-orange, Maclura pomifera Nuttall
This great tree is the only remaining part of one of the original hedgerows promoted by Professor Jonathan Baldwin Turner in the 1840s, and is perhaps the last documented tree remaining from that era. The hedgerow was planted by the Potter family, who farmed here before the City of Kewanee was founded on the site. Turner was a professor at Illinois College and is considered the founder of the American land grant university system as well as the impetus behind the establishment of hedgerow plantings throughout the Midwest and Great Plains. Many additional trees were planted later for windbreaks, and these trees became the shelter belt system that saved America's soils from the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. The tree has been leaning for decades, and the City has noticed some sidewalk movement this year indicating that the lean is increasing. The tree's root system has been compromised structurally over the years by the sidewalk to the west and the highway to the east.

Meeting and inspection summary:

1. The weather was cold but clear. Tidball, McCormick, and Sternberg inspected the tree and took measurements prior to the lunch meeting. General information about the tree was discussed following introductions. A call by the City to JULIE had found no utilities in conflict. Following the meeting, they returned to the site with Spear and Kuntz to confirm the recommendations discussed.
2. The primary proposal that came from the meeting, subject to input by this ad-hoc committee, was to install a vertical beam approximately eight feet in height on Verizon property at the fence line west of the tree and dynamic-cable the three main leads to the top of the beam (allowing for ample sidewalk clearance), if the city can secure an easement from Verizon. If this cannot be done, lateral support from two beams to be installed north and south of the tree between the street and the sidewalk would be considered as a much less preferred option. The City has received offers of some structural materials, including 15" x 1/2" I-beams to be fabricated to length. The beams should be set deeply in a concrete base sufficient to support the horizontal weight vector and wind-loading of the tree. Our volunteer engineering consultant, Gary Wilken, is asked here to recommend details regarding this installation.
3. Additional crown reduction will not be necessary if such support can be installed, but follow-up pruning to thin and direct the re-growth expected from the initial pruning should be done. Arborists may offer to do some of this pruning at no charge. It would need to be in the dormant season to make the clippings useful for propagation.
4. The sidewalk must be raised, and ramped to accessibility standards, on structural soil or pea gravel; some storm-water diversion needs to be done from the Verizon parking lot to prevent further undercutting.
5. The City was asked to vote to eliminate parking under the tree (approximately three spaces, north to the Verizon entrance walk). It was suggested in addition to remove the parking lane pavement to give the root zone more room if the money could be found for that purpose. This will decrease liability and make the tree more accessible for viewing and photographs by the public.
6. The wood from the pruned limbs is being saved for special purposes including promotion and fund raising. Mayor Tossell and Manager Spear have approximately one ton of large-diameter wood which was saved during the pruning (this excludes perhaps another ton of small-diameter wood which was chipped). Limited-edition collectible items may be made by local craftsmen and the high school and/or college, and the City will add numbered/signed certificates of authenticity.
6. Brenton Arboretum Curator Andy Schmitz, who was snowed in at Des Moines and could not make the meeting, will propagate the tree from hardwood cuttings taken next winter resulting from pruning of sprout growth. The City will coordinate with the arboretum on this initiative prior to the additional pruning.
7. The historic tree sign should be expanded professionally and relocated several feet to the south, adjacent to an existing planter. The City will work with the Historical Society on this, and Sternberg will provide additional information about the species if needed.
8. The City, Chamber of Commerce, and Peoples Bank have established a dedicated tree fund. Several hundred dollars in donations have already been received, and more are expected. Radio host Mike Nowak in Chicago, Better Homes & Gardens magazine editor Luke Miller in Iowa, and Justin TV host Kenn Alan in Alabama have been promoting financial contributions nationwide.
9. Forester Jason Knowles from Ohio, who has inspected the tree but could not be present for the meeting, submitted an evaluation which is attached to this report. In addition, annotated photographs taken on the meeting day are attached for clarification of the above proposals.

with the intended cuts to be made as shown, that tree will be what the utility calls ground to sky & sloped back, kinda wondering what the I-beam will be used for & why?

the preservation attempts in this case honestly........outweigh the commonsense fact............this tree`s root zone & trunk location are compromised & will worsen in time & with the suggested trimming, wont resemble what this specie is suppose to, so cosmetically along with structurally......not a winning battle.

sometimes ya just have to take em down, what will this thing look like when your done, will it be pleasing? will it be worth it? if it fails whos responsible? etc...

this is a case of going too far to save a tree IMHO!

LXT...........

the I-beam for a cable attachment......ooOK!....that will ad to the curb appeal. good luck on that!

LXT...........

with the intended cuts to be made as shown, that tree will be what the utility calls ground to sky & sloped back, kinda wondering what the I-beam will be used for & why?

the preservation attempts in this case honestly........outweigh the commonsense fact............this tree`s root zone & trunk location are compromised & will worsen in time & with the suggested trimming, wont resemble what this specie is suppose to, so cosmetically along with structurally......not a winning battle.

sometimes ya just have to take em down, what will this thing look like when your done, will it be pleasing? will it be worth it? if it fails whos responsible? etc...

this is a case of going too far to save a tree IMHO!

LXT...........

With respect lxt I could not disagree with you more. This is the preservation of a piece of history albeit YOUR countrys history not mine. I do not profess to be an arborist in Guys class but I would suggest that if he is prepared to put his name to work then the tree will be as safe as any cabled or supported tree.

I have removed a large number of tree which, in hindsight, could have been cabled and preserved for my children and their children to enjoy. I am sure that down the track future generations will thank arborists who saved trees and will condemn those (myself included) who did needless removals. I believe it is incumbent upon those with knowledge to use it, not hide it.
:cheers:

I agree with ya to a point, but this is not in a wide open field, or within a fenced in area depicting that such is a historical site/tree.

this tree appears to be a "street" tree as we call them & runs a higher risk in declining, not improving!

I agree that we need to assess taking trees down & many have needlessly been removed, However....lets not have the pendulum swing the other way were we are saving the ones that should have been removed, I see this alot.

One of the Arborists in a small city not far from me....saves every thing & many trees similar as to what was depicted here! of the 23 trees he said should remain.....only 8 are still standing & the planning commision/council have asked for me to re-inspect the trees & report on their condition.

I was the Co. hired to remove these trees, the causes for such range from uprooting to canopy breakout to splitting/select limb fallout, etc.. im just saying sometimes we need to use commonsense! trees are living organisms & therefore much like us they die & usually become a severe hazard in this type of situation!

LXT..............

I agree with ya to a point, but this is not in a wide open field, or within a fenced in area depicting that such is a historical site/tree.

this tree appears to be a "street" tree as we call them & runs a higher risk in declining, not improving!

I agree that we need to assess taking trees down & many have needlessly been removed, However....lets not have the pendulum swing the other way were we are saving the ones that should have been removed, I see this alot.

One of the Arborists in a small city not far from me....saves every thing & many trees similar as to what was depicted here! of the 23 trees he said should remain.....only 8 are still standing & the planning commision/council have asked for me to re-inspect the trees & report on their condition.

I was the Co. hired to remove these trees, the causes for such range from uprooting to canopy breakout to splitting/select limb fallout, etc.. im just saying sometimes we need to use commonsense! trees are living organisms & therefore much like us they die & usually become a severe hazard in this type of situation!

LXT..............

I hear what you are saying. It is the human condition that we swing from one extreme (chop em all down) to another (save all the trees). I believe it is our job as arborists to use our skills and knowledge to define what is "savable" and what isn't. As I do not know this species or location I cannot say what is the best choice here but given the significance of this tree I believe that if it is possible to preserve it we should. It is possible to move a mountain so why not move a footpath?

I hear what you are saying. It is the human condition that we swing from one extreme (chop em all down) to another (save all the trees). I believe it is our job as arborists to use our skills and knowledge to define what is "savable" and what isn't. As I do not know this species or location I cannot say what is the best choice here but given the significance of this tree I believe that if it is possible to preserve it we should. It is possible to move a mountain so why not move a footpath?

very well put! :agree2:

LXT..........

I cant help but be incredibly distracted by the pic in your sig-line. Funniest thing I've seen in a while. Rep to ya. SoM would get some too, but I can't. lol

Pretty significant tree. Check this:

This great tree is the only remaining part of one of the original hedgerows promoted by Professor Jonathan Baldwin Turner in the 1840s, and is perhaps the last documented tree remaining from that era. The hedgerow was planted by the Potter family, who farmed here before the City of Kewanee was founded on the site. Turner was a professor at Illinois College and is considered the founder of the American land grant university system as well as the impetus behind the establishment of hedgerow plantings throughout the Midwest and Great Plains. Many additional trees were planted later for windbreaks, and these trees became the shelter belt system that saved America's soils from the Dust Bowl of the 1930s.

And remember the species was brought to Thomas Jefferson by lewis and Clark.

This one will cost far less than the Anne Frank tree, about $300,000 euros into that one. This hedge tree may cost< $1000 to keep around. It'll be interesting to see what it's like under that sidewalk. :mad:

Back