Kick myself in the butt! 371XP smoked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

I think I figured out what cooked it. I tore it down, cleaned up the cyl and put seals in it. I figured I do the carb as well. When I pulled the pump cover off, BROWN GUNK! I think some of that crud plugged the high jet, leaned it out. The saw sat for a while, the fuel that was in the carb varnished. This is the problem with Ethanol in fuel, your fuel turns to crap. I will run my saws dry form now on.

On the good side, IT LIVES! I want to mention the piston I got from Bailey's. It was the only one I saw with 2 rings, wanted that type because of a couple scratches in the cyl. The piston kit was 19.95, I was a little skeptical about it. It arrived 3 days after the order, I was impressed with the quality. The rings had the groove in the middle, thus giving 2 sealing surfaces per ring. Compression is way better than it was with the single ring. The piston deck was about .010" higher than the old one. But get this, the top ring was about .020" higher than the old piston. This raised compression quite a bit, don't have a guage but it is stout. I am a happy camper.

Latest posts

Back