Killing Termites in a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnityArborist

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was on an estimate yesterday looking at large Black Oak. I was looking at an old cut. It was about 12''-16'' in diameter and callused over leaving only about 3" gap remained. I noticed granular excrement and used my knife to pick out a termite. I gave it to an exterminator friend of mine and he ID'ed as a western wet wood termite. My buddy does not do trees so he did not know the extent of the damage they could do to a tree, or how to kill the critters with out harming the tree.

If anyone has ever encountered these little nasties and has any advice. I know the cavity that is being occupied by the termites is pretty big, but I don't know if these termites attack heart and sap wood.

Any input would be great.

Get in a chap who knows how to input a drill bit then follow it with the correct pesticide.
Termites be gone.

These critters generally inhabit lower tree section eg below ground level. A nest found higher could be indicative of a larger root concern. 1st has the tree got any value targets nearby, I have seen healthy crown trees fail n fall to find the root plate consumed. Is a home is nearby your tree? It may act as a base for termite extending territory (Not good).
You can investigate as far as your budget allows. Sun Tzu's art of war to know your ememy is to destroy them.

Is a home is nearby your tree? It may act as a base for termite extending territory (Not good).
You can investigate as far as your budget allows. Sun Tzu's art of war to know your ememy is to destroy them.

The house is with in 20ft of the house. The tree is 60ft tall and about 4ft dbh. So this tree failing would be disasterous

The crown of this 40 foot gum was full and healthy but they had chewed out its base, handy it was clear of all.

attachment.php

Termites can be tricky you need xray vision or plenty of years experience.

Last edited:
Q Which came first, the termite or the rot?

A In most cases, the rot.

These critters generally inhabit lower tree section eg below ground level. A nest found higher could be indicative of a larger root concern.

Not that we have many termite problems up here, there are a few colonies around the steam pipes downtown, my reading tells me that small colonies can be satellites of a huge one.

With +/- 20 ft from house I would definitely recommend calling in an exterminator. Borax around the tree works well on most ant colonies, I've read it works on termites too.

There is a PNW company that has a native fungal treatment that kills ants and termites.

spectracide.....there is another that we use for bugs too but cant remember right now, and i really don't know for sure if it will do up termites. it has a long list of what it dose kill on the bottle, and it will kill alot of different bugs.
just an idea.:dunno:hmmmm i guess i might be waisting your time, but its an idea i supose.

Latest posts

Back