kindling got the best of me today! ;(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was snapping some 3/4 x 3/4 kindling to get my outside hot air furnace going this morning, to take the chill off in the garage. I lifted my right leg, bent at the knee, pulled up on the piece of oak and BAM! went right into a heap,(sciatic nerve,, herniated disk) could barely crawl away from the wood pile to my truck (8 feet or so) to get my cell phone and make a call. I ended up getting my first ride in a Ambulance today and had to spend most of the afternoon in the ER. My wood burning (as well as work) is over for a while.
I had a buddy come by to help me into the house, one of my neighbors stopped by and between the two of them we got me in the house. I was hoping that a little rest I would be "ok" but after 15-20 minutes I couldn't take the pain anymore and called for the squad. I got to the hospital and realized that I had no shoes on , I had taken them off when i got into my recliner and forgot to bring them! LOL
sorry if I'm rambling, must be all the narcotics they have me on!

I was snapping some 3/4 x 3/4 kindling to get my outside hot air furnace going this morning, to take the chill off in the garage. I lifted my right leg, bent at the knee, pulled up on the piece of oak and BAM! went right into a heap,(sciatic nerve,, herniated disk) could barely crawl away from the wood pile to my truck (8 feet or so) to get my cell phone and make a call. I ended up getting my first ride in a Ambulance today and had to spend most of the afternoon in the ER. My wood burning (as well as work) is over for a while.
I had a buddy come by to help me into the house, one of my neighbors stopped by and between the two of them we got me in the house. I was hoping that a little rest I would be "ok" but after 15-20 minutes I couldn't take the pain anymore and called for the squad. I got to the hospital and realized that I had no shoes on , I had taken them off when i got into my recliner and forgot to bring them! LOL
sorry if I'm rambling, must be all the narcotics they have me on!

Bud, I hope you get to feeling better soon!

OUCH!!!!!!!! If you can tell where the herniated disk is located keep an ice pack on it. Later, when the pain has subsided you might want to start putting a little heat on it. Take it easy for a while and when you feel like you can split some wood...don't!!! Herniated ones*can* settled back in if you give'em time....when you run one flat, though, you've got long lasting troubles.

Take it easy.
Ed

Holly crap, thats all it took to get you out of wack. I would never have guessed that a person could do that, must of been wrong place, wrong time , and wrong stick. Get well soon, Look on the bright side you can catch up on all the old AS threads you were missing:hmm3grin2orange:

Hope a little humor helped.

Beefie

Dang! That's not good. My dad had a disk problem and it was like pulling teeth just to get the doctor to agree to operate, and then weeks (many weeks) of recovery. Hopefully your situation won't be so bad. Get well soon, and take it very easy.

aarghhh!

...sucks man, hope you get better! A few times a year with no warning my back will spasm on me, I end up on the floor sorta groveling around and moaning. Last year once out in the barn. had to call my GF on the cell to come and get me my stick so I could get up and hobble home. Painful ain't the word. sometimes it takes me half an hour to get from floor to chair, even then it still sucks....

Go figger. Most of the time I feel great and can hold my own on physical work. Then, whammo! never doing anything hard either, goofy stuff, just walking across the room sometimes. No rhyme nor reason to it at-all.

I finally broke down and bought a "gravity inversion table" dohickey off of Amazon. Best "medical" loot I have spent in a long time, those things sure do work, wish I had gotten one years ago.

Anyway..just to ramble..I think they had a better idea some generations back when extended family all lived together. Always extra adults and young teens around to help out.

Wood burning season almost over, so maybe you can get by for awhile. You got any help to get your box filled and lit?

thanks for the kind words.
the outside furnace is only for my garage so lighting it isn't a big deal, the house has a hot air oil fired furnace. I was hoping to build another one for the house for next year but that may not happen.

another sucky thing is the drugs make me doze off at random so now it's 11:30 ish and I'm wide awake (just woke up from a little nap) LOL

Yeah the pain meds are a joke. They don't stop any pain, it's just that ya don't care about it between naps.

That's only half of it though, those pain Meds plug ya up like ya swallowed half a dozen Onion bags. So there ya are with a bad back and in pain, sitting on the throne attempting to give birth to a small Pachyderm trying not to pass out..remember the Laxatives is all I'm sayin'.;)

Sorry ta hear of ya going on the injured reserve list this close to summer.
Heal well and Fast!!!!
(And remember the laxatives...I can't stress that enough)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

What disc is it? I did my L5 back in 2007. If you search in the accidents/fatalities forum I had a thread about back problems awhile back; if you can find it there's lots of good responses to it.

I had very good results with the McKenzie pushup-you lay on the floor and do a pushup with your upper half of the body while your waist and lower half stay flat. I had to do 200 a day divided in three sessions, and when I raised myself up I would take a deep breath, hold it for several seconds and exhale when lowering back down. I would discuss this with a doctor or physical terrorist first, but it helped cure my problem-good luck to you...it sucks but you will improve.

I can't even get to the floor yet! Actualy I can but I can't roll over onto my stomach. I have never had any thing hurt this much and it includes 5 operations on my left knee.

I likes corn and carrots so that should be better than the prune juice.:dizzy:

Orange juice and Orange flavored Metamucil...

Sorry to hear about your back for sure. Do treat it like it deserves now, like a toddler.

Stretch and excercise it before use, develop new ways to do old habits.

Get well soon.

I can't even get to the floor yet! Actualy I can but I can't roll over onto my stomach. I have never had any thing hurt this much and it includes 5 operations on my left knee.

I likes corn and carrots so that should be better than the prune juice.:dizzy:

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

I worked EMS for almost 20 years before working as an RN, so I blew my back out a couple of times, always doing something stupid. Anyways, the physical terrorist seemed to do the most good for me. Eight weeks of torture and I was able to return to work. If the offer you therapy, take it.

good info to have, I have been pondering all night about the "what if's" like, an operation, therapy, a shot, time, etc. etc.
My biggest concern is the fact that I have been going through this since early December. After a month or so I was feeling better then bam, relapse, then another 7-8 weeks and I was feeling Much better and then this stupid little thing happend. I have been taking it real easy because I knew I wasn't 100% but then something this simple put me down like this. Am I ever going to be back to 100% without surgery? Will therapy make me better? I have no idea, I just know that I am very concerned at the moment. I have an 8 am apt with the back Dr. so we will see.

Back to life

I have never used is but my dad hurt his back and found a machine called back to life. Google it. He uses that twice a day every day and it helped him a lot. He had tried every thing doctors, therpy, drugs, shots, but that is what really got him going again. Just a suggestion to look into. Get better fast but take it easy along the recovery road.

Latest posts

Back