klein tree climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lh3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a new set of Klein tree climbers from a guy who bought and never used them. There is no hardware to assemble them and I haven't taken time to inspect other climbers/spurs. Is there anything special about the hardware normally included?

any explanation why "Theo's" climbers are junk? and what is special? i have now ordered new oe hardware from klein, but would still like to know.
Thank you.

Maybe Thoe's = Those?
I think Kliens are junk for tree climbing. When they where all I had ever climbed with, I thought that your legs where suposed to hurt and bleed.

Maybe Thoe's = Those?

that's what i was wondering too, it's taken me a while to learn "Tom Trees"
I use kliens and there ok, but i've been debating on trying another set. The quility is good, but there not comfortable for that long.

Klein Climbing Spikes

Some don't and can't wear them. Me they are all I can wear. Something about the way they are Bent, will match some Legs. Get a good set of Buck Pads to go with them, 2 straps on the pad

They were free, so i will give them a shot. What do you use now joe sawer?

I use striaght iron Buckinghams with the steel cup pads that will swivel. I have two pairs, one long gaff and one shorter. For me it works great. Different people like different types depending on their body.

The topic has strayed but thats okay since i'm learning here. My original question still hasn't been answered. Is there anything special about the nuts and bolts/screws used to assemble these climbers? Local Klein dealers are having trouble coming up with the hardware only.

The topic has strayed but thats okay since i'm learning here. My original question still hasn't been answered. Is there anything special about the nuts and bolts/screws used to assemble these climbers? Local Klein dealers are having trouble coming up with the hardware only.

Yes there is, you should use Klien parts. There is nothing wrong with Kliens, I jsut prefer Buckingham straight shank 3" ones.
What do you have, just the curved metal piece with no pads or straps? Or what? The screws that hold the sliding piece that the pads bolt to have special screws and female ends, which are brass, I believe. The straps are important, nylon is best, and the steel rings that hold your foot to the spur are important as well. The Klien dealer ought to be able to help. Really.

I use striaght iron Buckinghams with the steel cup pads that will swivel. I have two pairs, one long gaff and one shorter. For me it works great. Different people like different types depending on their body.

I have always wanted to trade my steel Buckingham's for Klein now I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll just re-furnish them with the velcro climber pads. They have lasted me 11yrs now! (not the pads)>

What do you mean about hardware? The screws that hold the spikes in the shank? or the pads and straps? Also, some aftermarket mods will make them more comfortable if that's a goal. For short periods they're fine.

Yes, I just need the screws that attach the steel extension sleeves to the main "J-Hook" part of the climber. I have been in contact with Klein and they only sell through their dealers and I am not a Klein dealer. I would be extremely greatful for any help or advice.

Yes, I just need the screws that attach the steel extension sleeves to the main "J-Hook" part of the climber. I have been in contact with Klein and they only sell through their dealers and I am not a Klein dealer. I would be extremely greatful for any help or advice.

I'm not sure about Kleins as I don't own a pair as you've probably read but I've just looked at my Buckinghams, and the screw/bolts that attach the extension sleeve to the main body of the climber look like regular threads so I'm pretty sure you could size them with a thread tap, or at your local hardware store. Then just buy the best quality bolts they have. Given the job they perform the correct thread size is vital I might add.

Last edited:
I did a quick search and sure enough, no screws w/o buying the gaffs. I'd head to a Lowes, or better yet a Fastenall if you have one in your area. As a last resort you could find the correct thread pattern and install regardless of length and grind off the excess bolt if necessary. However, it would be difficult to retighten if the need arises. If you ever needed to get them out you could use an easy out. My guess is that you could find something comparable to use and save the $65.00, unless an extra set of gaffs are attractive to you. In my opinion it will take a long, long, long time before you would ever need those extra gaffs and when you did, you might need the screws!:angry2: :cry: :angry2:

Let us know how it goes!

I'm thinking that may be my only option. I may try to email Klein directly if i can come up with an email address, but in the meantime, i'm gonna try to find some fasteners with a threaded sleeve to custom fit the holes in the climbers and pad sleeves. I'll let everyone know what i come up with for whatever its worth. Thanks for all of the replies!

The best of my memory, the screws and the nut are somewhat unusual. There is a small machine screw that screws into a nut that looks like a rivet with threads inside, the rivet like nut goes in from the leg side and fits very near to flush.
There should be an industrial supply somewhere near you that is a Klien dealer.

I emailed Klein and the reply was: Send in to be warranty'd. I can get some nickel/brass shoulder nuts and machine screws at the local fastener shop without having to wait on basically the same thing. I think this will be my course of action. I will monitor the new hardware closely and thoroughly inspect with every use.

Latest posts

Back