Knew I've been burning wood like it's been March...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Now I have scientific evidence courtesy my 'lectric bill:

Average temperature for the billing cycle:

02/17/2012 34.6º
01/19/2012 34.1º
12/19/2011 41.8º
11/17/2011 46.4º

03/18/2011 36.2º
02/17/2011 23º
01/19/2011 27.5º
12/17/2010 34.1º
11/17/2010 47.9º

11-1/2 degrees warmer mid January to mid February this year then last! And almost as warm as last year's mid Feb to mid March period!

Last edited:
We hit 77 degrees here the other day! And it's 63 right now. Running fires in the evening until morning lately, that's it, let it just burn down during the day. All the bugs and frogs are out, dandelions all over. I'm going to have to start mowing (besides my yard, all my other mowing) in about two more weeks I think. The pastures have been so good, we haven't used 1/4 of the haybales we normally feed in the winter.

I was going to prune my baby apple trees, but never hit a cold enough snap! Looks like I will wait until next year now.

edit: Jonquils by the front step

attachment.php

Last edited:
I bet Ive only used 3 rick of wood this year due to the temps being so warm..and thats burning pretty much 24 hr burns when I do use it. now its only at night when its cold I will start a fire let it go out in the morning..thursday was 61 then friday 28 now its 51 today..now im selling some of my 2 yr seasoned wood for camp fire wood just so it wont go to waste and someone can get some use out of it this summer..

I was going to prune my baby apple trees, but never hit a cold enough snap! Looks like I will wait until next year now.

2/26 and I saw maples in "red bud" today.

Normal years we're just getting into full swing of the syrup season.

Interview in the paper one of the local maple heads said the trees never went fully "dormant" this winter and kept sugar up in the limbs, so while we've been getting lots of sap from the extended period, since mid January now, of above freezing days and 20s by night...the sugar content is way low this year.

Been pretty mild around here as well. We started burning on a regular basis around the end of October, early November. At this time we've used 2.5 cords. Even with the more mild temps, we still aren't that far off from our regular consumption. Normally this time of year we'd be down one more cord, or so.

However it's always hard to tell if winter is on it's way out or if we are going to get slammed. Either way, we have 4 cords left for this years pile. If we don't use it I'll just add it to 8cords for next year already split and stacked.

Been pretty mild around here as well. We started burning on a regular basis around the end of October, early November. At this time we've used 2.5 cords. Even with the more mild temps, we still aren't that far off from our regular consumption. Normally this time of year we'd be down one more cord, or so.

However it's always hard to tell if winter is on it's way out or if we are going to get slammed. Either way, we have 4 cords left for this years pile. If we don't use it I'll just add it to 8cords for next year already split and stacked.

This is true. We've had some doozy snowstorms and cold snaps down here in March before.

If I had to guess though, with la Nina still cooking..not this year. Lots more rain and mud though.

It's been pretty mild here this winter for the most part. I don't mind since my pile wasn't quite as big as I'd hoped it would be. March can be a rough month sometimes. It typically has quite a bit of snow and bad weather. We'll see how things go. :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, I try to look on the bright side of things. I got behind in my supply last year because of the persistant deep snow cover. I got a little ahead this year, about 8 cord in reserve right now. And still anothe rmonth left in the cutting season.

Back