Knuckle boom/bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmasontreeservice

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I have recently sold my forestry truck and I'm looking to buy a new rig, I've been looking at the knuckle boom/bucket truck with chip box/w removable dome 70' working ht.
The question I'm asking is what would be the pros and cons of a set up like this?
I think having a bucket, grapple, crane & chip/log truck would be great in a all in one package, but what do you guys think?

Thanks -Luke

I doubt you'd be able to keep it under 26k GVWR with a bed and boom, least in something not overloaded to the gills and asking for trouble. VS a bucket truck and then something like an F450 with 12-16ft flatbed for chips.

Other thought too is if your "swiss army knife" truck breaks down you are SOL unless you have 2 swiss army knife trucks. Where if just a boom truck or chip truck breaks down you can still probably work.
Least that's been my thought on iron... if it needs to be running everyday to pay the bills, it's best to have at least a spare. (and yes, I certainly realize how tough that is when just starting out, big iron is not cheap to buy or keep running!)

Example... we luckily have two firewood processors here on site. (Mine and a friend's). I put a log through the radiator of mine last Friday. New radiator won't be here until next Wednesday. Thankfully been able to share use my friend's processor in the meantime so I could still meet deadlines for firewood orders.

Grapple chip truck combo has crossed my mind grapple mounted behind cab dual tandem chassis. Flatbed dump w tall wood and steel sides grapple boom resting on the back on a custom mount keep the grapple open. Tow chipper behind it and shoot chips under the grapple. I think having a large crane and man basket would b great and kill two birds with one stone. I think you spend too much money trying to kill 3 birds.

Back