Kohler Engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone used a Kohler engine on a wood splitter or any other type of power equipment? I would be interested to hear the pros and cons as I am planning to use one for my splitter build.

Thanks

Great motors, I had an old ten horse on my homemade splitter till it (motor) was stolen last year, some of the oldies had actual roller bearings on the crank. Make sure on the old ones you run a non-detergent oil.

Kohler makes a good sturdy engine. We have them on a lot of our smaller equipment - and they stand up well to some pretty harsh environments.

Has anyone used a Kohler engine on a wood splitter or any other type of power equipment? I would be interested to hear the pros and cons as I am planning to use one for my splitter build.

Thanks

I took a 17 H.P. Kohler engine out of my Toro mower and rebuilt it for my splitter. It runs the 22 GPM 2 stage pump with ease. It's a QS engine, quiet series. It lives up to it's name.

Quite durable, I've done a couple rebuilds on the K301 series 12hp. They're good engines, kinda costly to rebuild. It's real easy to have $400 in a rebuild and thats with me doing all the labor. Keep your oil clean and fresh so the alum rod and the crank wear is kept to a minimum.

Since April I have bought 4 Push Lawn Mowers (1st 3 with B&S Motors). The First one Leaked out ALL The Oil out overnight, took it back & upgraded to a Toro with a B&S, during the 1st tank of gas it threw a rod, took it back and went to sears and got a Craftsman with a B&S after the 1st tank of gas it would only run while I pumped the Bulb, Took IT Back and Got a Husqvarna Mower with a Kohler. Is has had more than one tank of fuel run through it and it's still Going--------> I'm Tickled Pink

I do have a riding mower (2000 year model) with a 25hp Kohler Twin and it has Never let me down, It sounds just like a Harley when it Idles....

B&S Has really turned to Junk-Steer Clear!

Quite durable, I've done a couple rebuilds on the K301 series 12hp. They're good engines, kinda costly to rebuild. It's real easy to have $400 in a rebuild and thats with me doing all the labor. Keep your oil clean and fresh so the alum rod and the crank wear is kept to a minimum.

Parts are pretty well rigged but that goes for all makes just about. Rods for mine were over a $100.00 each and pistons $70.00 for each. Then there was cost of turning the crank, new guides and grinding the valves and seats.

It was money well spent. This 17 h.p. will never feel the same strain running the splitter that it did on the mower.

Kohler Engines

Will probably go with a Command Pro 270 or 395 depending on the size and tonnage of the splitter.

They are well made engines. Can't go wrong with Kohler. Much better than B&S. Last sunday I pulled the 16hp kohler off my fathers retired S16 New Holland lawn tractor. That engine was rebuilt once by my father and has been a real good engine for the last 25 years since. My plan is to put it on my logsplitter. I am trying to decide what pump to run. It has a 6" cylinder. I am currently running it off a 3010 JD tractor.

Kohler commercial duty engines are hard to beat. I have a cv22s powering my splitter's 28gpm pump and its perfect. Just keep it maintained and it will run a really long time.

i use a kohler 12.5 on my splitter...best engine i've had on there. i went thru two 18hp briggs, but this thing just keeps going, even thru the tuffest stuff.

it's a vertical shaft engine...came off a cub cadet.

I am trying to decide what pump to run. It has a 6" cylinder. I am currently running it off a 3010 JD tractor.

Get the 28 GPM pump. You're in the ball park engine wise and with that size cylinder the 28 GPM would be a better match as far as travel speed goes.
I run a 22GPM on a 5'' cylinder 24'' stroke. It's 5 seconds out and 5 seconds back in. I wish now i had bought the 28 GPM.

Get the 28 GPM pump. You're in the ball park engine wise and with that size cylinder the 28 GPM would be a better match as far as travel speed goes.
I run a 22GPM on a 5'' cylinder 24'' stroke. It's 5 seconds out and 5 seconds back in. I wish now i had bought the 28 GPM.

Thats what I was leaning toward. Just need to find a valve that will handle that flow that still has the detent.

I hace an old Case 10 hp w/ a Kolher in it circa 1980. From the looks of it, it probably wasn't rebuilt. This is the 3rd year running full synthetic in it for the winter hauling wood for the OWB. Summer it gets 15/40 Mystic semi-synthetic. No problems at all. The pulling power of these engines are hard to believe.

:biggrinbounce2:

Back