Kudos to Speeco

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure is nice to hear about a company that goes the extra mile.

They should put that extra mile in behind the engineering table instead....If you can WEAR out a logsplitter so it can't be fixed with regular replacement WEAR parts, something is wrong in the design....engine and pump might have to be replaced after 5k-10k hours......beams, cylinders,tank and framing etc. should definately last a lifetime, unless new splitter designs become more attractive.
:givebeer:

For the meantime

They should put that extra mile in behind the engineering table instead....If you can WEAR out a log splitter so it can't be fixed with regular replacement WEAR parts, something is wrong in the design....engine and pump might have to be replaced after 5k-10k hours......beams, cylinders,tank and framing etc. should definitely last a lifetime, unless new splitter designs become more attractive.
:givebeer:

Speeco did at least step up to the table and send me current product replacement parts.
Yes to whoever asked. It was just like the one I bent.If this one bends I will have them look into an alternate plan maybe.
You all have to realize these splitters are not the 3k splitters. Do I expect it to perform like a 3k splitter? Of course. But I only spent Buick price for a Cadillac.
So I am happy if I just get Buick performance.

Speeco did at least step up to the table and send me current product replacement parts.
Yes to whoever asked. It was just like the one I bent.If this one bends I will have them look into an alternate plan maybe.
You all have to realize these splitters are not the 3k splitters. Do I expect it to perform like a 3k splitter? Of course. But I only spent Buick price for a Cadillac.
So I am happy if I just get Buick performance.

...no wonder car industry is down.......:cry:

I hear what you say though, you get what you pay for...these vertical ones are harder to design also...there are better engineering options for the "foot plate" on a horizontal only....AND, If they weren't over rated, and hold advertised splitting force, they would even take more damage then......
:jawdrop:

...no wonder car industry is down.......:cry:

I hear what you say though, you get what you pay for...these vertical ones are harder to design also...there are better engineering options for the "foot plate" on a horizontal only....AND, If they weren't over rated, and hold advertised splitting force, they would even take more damage then......
:jawdrop:

I have the 28 ton model. I only paid 1150 out the door UncleSam included.
Would I buy another one?You bet your bottom dollar The Honda engine starts easily and seems to sip fuel. Yes the cycle times could be faster. But it has grunt.. I have never stopped it.. and I put everything on it.. I have slowed it down but never stalled it..
yeah I know this explains how I bent the foot plate.

Did Speeco replaced it with the same exact beam and foot plate ? What's to keep the foot from bending again? Or did they modified it and make out of heavier material?

Thats the problem!!!!!!!!! I am so aggrivated with mine its gonna go down the road. Where the splitter beam attaches to the tank it is held on by a pin. The pin goes through a bracket on the tank. The bracket is held to the tank by 2 spot welds. The 2 spot welds on mine broke so they sent a new tank. The new tank has the same 2 spot welds holding the whole splitting beam ram etc onto the splitter. The welds on the new tank they sent look pitiful even for spot welds. OH well I have owned the splitter less then 1 full year and it has had a new splitter beam, 2 new tanks, 1 hydraulic cylinder put on it. None of the new parts look any better or beefier then the old ones.

Thats the problem!!!!!!!!! I am so aggrivated with mine its gonna go down the road. Where the splitter beam attaches to the tank it is held on by a pin. The pin goes through a bracket on the tank. The bracket is held to the tank by 2 spot welds. The 2 spot welds on mine broke so they sent a new tank. The new tank has the same 2 spot welds holding the whole splitting beam ram etc onto the splitter. The welds on the new tank they sent look pitiful even for spot welds. OH well I have owned the splitter less then 1 full year and it has had a new splitter beam, 2 new tanks, 1 hydraulic cylinder put on it. None of the new parts look any better or beefier then the old ones.

Can you just add a little good weld to the pivot point and keep using it?I know we should not have to do anything to repair a "new" unit.. But I am sure you could just weld it up and go on with it.

Can you just add a little good weld to the pivot point and keep using it?I know we should not have to do anything to repair a "new" unit.. But I am sure you could just weld it up and go on with it.

I am not looking to hijack this thread so I have started my own about spee co and the problems I am encountering with them right now.

Since I hauled out the splitter for a bit today, I looked at the welds securing the pivot bracket to the tank. So far as I can tell, it goes pretty much all the way around. No spot welds here. Bought it about a month and a half ago.

I also have one of the old 34 ton models .. it's been used and abused and never misses a beat. The Tecumseh engine isn't great , been waiting for it to pop for years and when it does I've got a propane Honda going on.
You may be waiting a long time. Those Tecumseh engines will last a long time if you take care of them. Buddy of mine has a 1978, 10 Hp Tecumseh that refuses to die. All he does is change oil in it twice a year. That's about all the maintenance it has ever needed.

But, that's nothing compared to my other friend's 1954, 8 Hp Briggs. It's still running and has torque galore. We've used it to split seven cords in the past 2 weeks. :cheers:

Since I hauled out the splitter for a bit today, I looked at the welds securing the pivot bracket to the tank. So far as I can tell, it goes pretty much all the way around. No spot welds here. Bought it about a month and a half ago.

If you tip the splitter up and look right below the pin, on the back side there are just 2 spot welds holding it on the back side, at least thats how mine is, I can post pictures if you cant find where I am talking

If you tip the splitter up and look right below the pin, on the back side there are just 2 spot welds holding it on the back side, at least thats how mine is, I can post pictures if you cant find where I am talking

I'll probably have it out again tomorrow or friday so I'll get another look at it. If it's a weak spot I'll want to keep an eye on it.

Back